Microsoft announces $30 Gears of War 3 “Season Pass”

Monday, 29th August 2011 18:29 GMT By Debabrata Nath

Microsoft’s announced a “Season Pass” for Gears of War 3 which will bundle all upcoming DLC for the game at a highly-discounted rate.

The pass will allow gamers to receive the first four DLC packs “over the course of the next year,” with a planned release of November for the first pack.

As an additional bonus, all Season Pass purchasers will receive an “exclusive Liquid Metal Weapon Set” for free.

The Season Pass will be available for purchase from September 20, the same day as the game’s release date. It’ll cost 2400 Microsoft Points.

1. AHA-Lambda

wow, i liekthe idea of a season pass but $30 – $45 is abit much aint it? $15 map packs incoming? =/

2. OlderGamer

Gotta love it, 60usd plus 30usd(season pass) = 90usd games. Nice.

3. The_Red

MS is on a roll with over expensive Season Passes. Still better than £80 one for AoE Online though.

4. TheKeyPit

epicgames states “Adding hours of campaign and multiplayer mayhem, these game add-ons will be must-haves for any “Gears” fan”

I’m sold!

5. Hcw87

It’s only 600 MS points per map pack, half of what the CoD map packs costs. Why the rage?

6. HeavyD-Love

Too much pre-release DLC being planned (and announced) if you ask me.

I like id’s comment on dlc. They’re going to wait and see what the gamers like about the game before deciding on what DLC to produce. THAT’S how it should be.

If you’re planning DLC prior to even retail release, put it on the disc like it should be (aka stop ROBBING us), or shut your fucking mouth and announce it at least a month after retail release.

7. minxamo

There is so fucking much wrong with this…

8. Gekidami

Wait, if $30 is a 33% discount off the four DLC packs, doesnt that mean without it, those packs come up to $90? …Four DLC packs for that much? I’m sure someones math here is wrong.

9. ultramega

Agreed. And that is why id will continue to get my money.

10. DaMan

#6 These are map packs. What should they wait and see about? They feel that the amount of work put into creating the content justifies selling them separately.

How do you know they could ship those alongside the game, what if they just can’t meet the deadline?

11. HeavyD-Love

^
    And the cost is justified as people are happy to pay extra.

To your second point I reply with……..Valve’s Portal 2 FREE DLC. Key word being FREE.

12. DaMan

Are they forcing you to buy it? They don’t, it’s optional. They develop it, they make the rules. I’m not even getting this game. People pay $60 for plenty of titles I wouldn’t spend half of that on, but i’m not calling them idiots. Or is $60 some kind of unwritten rule? I don’t think so.

Valve ‘s made enough off L4D2 ;)

13. Hcw87

This is nothing new at all, don’t see why there’s so much negativity. There’s bound to be several map packs anyway, since there’s alot of focus on its multiplayer, so what’s so bad about getting to pay LESS for them? People seem to rage about everything these days, quite sad.

14. Caleb_LK

@8 They are saying you get all the DLC for 800msp instead of 1200msp hence a reduction of 33.3%

15. HeavyD-Love

@13. Personally what i think is quite sad is how people such as yourself judge those speaking the truth about how most DLC is overpriced as “raging” or “complaining”. I know the next persons retort, “nobody’s forcing you to buy it”. Well I want it. And it should have been on the original disc (in most cases, granted not all) in the first place. But because of the modern day money making DLC loop hole, suddenly people have accepted that $120 for all game content is the new norm and even defend developers for going this route.

This is what’s “quite sad” to me sir.

16. Hcw87

It’s 600ms points per pack (if it’s 2400 for all 4 that is)

How is that expensive? Most DLC’s these days cost 800 to 1200, so you make no sense at all. The only reason you seem mad is because they’ve announced that they’re going to release DLC in the future, and how can that come as a surprise? Every single serious multiplayer game these days release DLC at some point, and announcing it beforehand can’t be a bad thing, now can it?

17. drewbles82

hmm maybe wait then for the game of the year edition, save even more money, not in any rush, got plenty of other games 2 finish.

18. HeavyD-Love

@16….I was going off comment #14 and did 1200 ($15) x 4 = $60. If it’s half that, then I feel much better about all this. I’m confused about the factual numbers though. Can somebody please clarify or do we even know yet?

P.S. I still think DLC is a scam… ;)

19. Caleb_LK

@18 @16 Woops for some reason I thought there were three pieces of DLC when I worked it out, are they charging 900msp each then :/

20. frostquake

OR..WAIT FOR IT…wait about a year and buy the GOTY with ALL the DLC for $19.99 US…LOL..but we all know GEAR HEADS, will cut off their right Nip and hand it over with the keys to their car and house, along with the $90 US..LOL.. Notice I didn’t say they would turn over their first Kid too, because lets face it, Gear Heads don’t have time to make babies, they can’t waste time on such frivolities as baby making!! They got Gears to Grind!!

ROFL!!! Season Pass..Wait didn’t Apple Sell Season Passes too? Maybe they own the Copyright to that name as well as “Apps”…LOL

21. drewbles82

I try to get on my xbox as much as possible but with having a life and a girlfriend, it takes a while to complete a game. I use to buy games all the time first day release and then i ended up with over 30 games all incomplete.
    Now i do one at a time til i finish it, save so much money waiting for GOTY editions and half price DLC, arcade games.

22. Gekidami

Didnt LA Noire have something like this, only it offered all of the DLC for that single price? That seems better than just a discount, i mean this looks like a trap to me (“Its a trap!”): Say you buy this same day the game comes out, then some time later you get the first DLC pack, and decide that you’ve had enough of the game for whatever reason. Well you’re pretty much forced to buy the other 2 packs because you’ve already paid a part of their price in advance. If you dont get them, you wasted your money.

23. DaMan

Doesn’t Gears offer both SP, Co-op, competitive MP and a horde mode for the same price as LA Noire? What kind of dlc was that? Are pointless comparisons pointless?

Do you even understand what’s wholesale? Try buying some food in huge quantity at the local store then tell them you only feel like getting half of it.

24. LOLshock94

first map pack coming out a month before release? WOW thats waaaaaaayyyyyyy to early i was hoping sometime after xmas

25. Dr.Ghettoblaster

^Exactly.

26. Gurdil

@8 Yeah your maths are wrong! oO
    A 33% discount leads to a price of 30$, which means 30$ is 77% of the “normal” price. Therefore, the price without the discount would be 38.96$ (well I guess you could round it to 40$)

27. OrbitMonkey

So you spend 2400 points on a pass, to get a 1200 point map pack for 800… saving you 400 points… 4 maps announced, so thats a total saving of 1600 points…

How much was that pass again?

28. DrDamn

It’s very confusingly presented. You can interpret it as you pay $30 to get the discount or by paying the $30 up front you effectively get the discount. It must be the latter as the alternative would be madness. So you pay 2400MSP for 4 map packs which would normally cost 3600MSP – i.e. 900MSP each.

Better value for the fans, and helps retain your customer base whilst you release regular packs to keep it fresh. Only something I’d ever consider for a couple of games personally.

29. Gurdil

@28 I didn’t understand the first interpretation sorry. Pay 30$ to get the discount? I, for one, understood the info as your second interpretation (even if I don’t know the current MSP/$ rate, so I’ll trust you on this).

Edit: Shame on me, I read my previous comment again and it’s totally wrong! 30$ (2400MSP) would actually be 67% of the normal price, not 77% oO sorry about that. So the normal price tag would be 45$ (3600MSP)

30. freedoms_stain

I don’t get the issue people are having with this. dlc is expected for this type of game, a guarantee of support for a minimum of 4 map packs is not a bad thing, most of the dlc maps for Gears 2 were good if not great, I found the value worth the cost even though I only play horde.

Now being told you can save cash by paying up front, boo fucking hoo?

31. DrDamn

I think this is confusing …

“According to Microsoft, those who purchase the Season Pass will get a 33 percent discount on the regular price of the four DLC packs against buying them separately.”

Those who purchase the Season Pass will save money, saying they will get a discount implies they still have to buy the DLC – but get a discount on it.

Partly the confusion above and partly the people who don’t get what DLC is about. They paid their $60 so they deserve and are entitled to the moon on a stick.

32. Gurdil

@31 Oh ok I didn’t think about that but you’re right, it is confusing.

33. OrbitMonkey

What I find bizarre is the the fact your SPENDING money to get a DISCOUNT. So after totaling up what you save, then adding the 2400 point asking price, how much have you really saved?

I bet your breaking even, but hey you get a liquid metal skin… cool :)

34. DrDamn

It’s the bad wording – you get all the DLC included in the initial 2400MSP spend. You aren’t paying to get a discount on subsequent purchases.

35. OrbitMonkey

Cheers for that DrDamn that makes a lot more sense ;)

That’s actually a pretty good idea, it’d be nice if MW3/BF3 offered this, cuz you know their both gonna have a shit ton of dlc o_O

36. mojo66

A Season pass if fine. I’d buy all gears content, but its a little sad that the pass wasnt bundled with the epic and limited editions of the game. I’d prefer a pass than a figurine. DLC is great to have for any game… but its no after thought with game companies.. and same day release is a bit of an insult and injury to the stand alone game… as some one has stated in a previous post.. the cost of the game and dlc 2400… Its far from a cheap title and I think pre order sales has brought this idea forward for gross sales figure on the first day. Sad in many ways.
    To really honour fans.. why dont they think about rewarding previous gears owners.. who bought gears and gears 2 limited edtion etc.. and people who put hours into the game completing all achievements etc. The golden lancer should definetly cross over for sure. Just a little something. Remember the first gears giving free multiplayer maps? Was a feather in the cap.

I Think I’ll cancel my epic pre order and get the basic edition with the DLC

TC all

37. Didact

@drewbles82 And is it really going to win GOTY? It’s good and all, but there are some far better titles this year.