Friday Shorts – The Glorious Past Edition

Friday, 19th August 2011 08:59 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Today’s shorts are largely themed around nostalgia, helped along by a healthy dose of forgetfulness. Ask Pat about his memory trouble today, he won’t mind.

I asked an elderly friend to supply some commentary, as provided in italics.

1. Gurdil

About this WoW thing, I agree the explanation in this article is shitty. It basically means that if you’re a warlock for example, you can make your item look like something a warlock could use. Say you want your staff to look like one of the traitor’s blades, well you can’t (double reason: a staff is not a blade AND warlocks can’t hold the Trator’s blades). In the same way, you can’t make your torso item look like pants. That’s rather logical in fact lol or you can’t make your cloth item look like a plate one. Well you get the idea…

2. viralshag

That’s cool for WoW, about time imo. I might jump online and give a go for the hell of it.

3. Gurdil

@2 yeah I wish this feature existed back when I played! But this is not worth giving it another go unless you haven’t seen the world since Cataclysm and want to have a look…

4. viralshag

@3, I did get Cata and played through the instances in normal and a couple on heroic but I burnt out on it quickly. I also tried levelling some new alts, one worgan and a goblin, but after the initial new starting areas I found it pretty boring, even the newly designed areas.

5. OlderGamer

Rift boys, just play Rift.

Think of Rift as a 50level expansansion to WoW. But better. The oh noes my gear looks like everyone else stuff? Its wow, cookie cutter, every class spec is going after the same gear, of course they all look the same.

Lest in Rift crafters can alter the look of nearly every piece of gear. And yes crafting matters, not like wow where you can’t often make stuff any better then what you can find/buy. But hey, I think lots of folks have gotten burnt out on MMOs, not just wow. But really, if you can’t stand the thought of actualy building/leveling toons, there is your first clue.

As for the old sounding guy in Italics, yea that sounds like the voice inside my head.

6. viralshag

@ OG, Rift is definitely worth a go. I haven’t been playing it much recently because I have opted for a trip back into Aion (which has been pretty fun so far as I have three other mates playing at the same pace) and WAR (which I’m not having as much fun on even though I wish I was).