Bioware discusses Dragon Age 2 reception, Legacy, and community on forums

Friday, 5th August 2011 20:09 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Bioware’s Mike Laidlaw has said with the release of Legacy, the firm is proving it’s listening to fan feedback on the game.

Speaking in a Bioware forum post, Laidlaw’s comments echo sentiments voiced by senior producer Fernando Melo to RPS last month.

“Pause is given as people wonder if, just maybe, Legacy is a hint that Dragon Age is not trying to be Call of Duty, or Devil May Cry or whatever other franchise people have prognosticated in dire tones and with furious shaking of head will be the future of DA,” said Laidlaw. “And that’s a great development; and one that I think required us to both put up and shut up. Saying we were listening would always be less effective than releasing something that demonstrates it.”

Laidlaw also said not all fans will like changes made – again, something writer David Gaider has said – but as long as the end product delivers, the developers have done their job.

“I’m sure we can all agree to disagree, so long as the end product is more choice-driven, offers more ‘twiddle’ to the player’s experience in terms of equipment, offers satisfying, constructed encounters and a deep story,” he said.

“DAII clearly didn’t deliver on all fronts for you guys. For some it did, but I’m truly, deeply cognizant of the parts that are weak, and while we’re not going to agree on everything, there’s a game out there that’s better than both Origins and DAII, and I’ll be damned if the talented folks of the DA team can’t find it.”

You can read the entire thread through the foum link.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. SplatteredHouse

It’s great to see designers getting involved in the forums alongside their community, as evidenced after the forum link mentioned in this report. I think Mr. Laidlaw’s involvement and frank approach within that thread reflect well on the state of play at Bioware, as far as Dragon Age is concerned.

2. Phoenixblight

Bioware has always been involved with the forums this is not something new. They have done this since BG days. Its why it makes them great imo.

3. YoungZer0

@2: So … why was Mass Effect 2 the way it was?

4. DSB

Because money.

5. ivycrew707

Well I wish they would finally fix the Epic Trophy because its still glitched!

6. LOLshock94

what i hate about bioware is that they only listen to the most demanded thing for there next game, which is good but bioware seem to just concentrate on that one thing which is being demanded that they forget everything else which made the previous game good

7. YoungZer0

@6: Agreed.

8. Phoenixblight

@2 Not sure what you are getting at it was a lot better than the original so the reason why it was better because they listened to the complaints of the original.

No shit its about money 50 Million dollars investment from EA doesn’t give them a lot of movement to make the money back and also profit. You want something totally new and creative go for Indies.

9. Sini

is he talking about witcher 2? it sold out again?

10. DSB

@8 I hope EA are responsible for the turn they’ve taken. If the studio simply collectivley decided to dumb down their games and go for the lowest common denominator, there would be no hope what so ever.

Thankfully I haven’t had to wait for an indie with time and money to do it. I just picked up up The Witcher 2 instead. Didn’t even have to switch clients or anything.

@9 Funny because true. I wish I had thought of that one :P

11. YoungZer0

@8: Yes, indeed they “listened”. But instead of fixing, they simply took the easy route and removed everything. That’s not what people asked for.

12. Phoenixblight

Well 5 million sold on the first month and winning multiple awards means they did something right. Everyone has their tastes and they can’t fulfill everyones’ wants like Laidlaw said. Just going to agree to disagree.

13. ivycrew707

I loved the game just hate having to wait so long for my Plat.

14. IL DUCE

Mass Effect 2 was A LOT better than Dragon Age II….the problem with Dragon Age II is they tried to make it more like Mass Effect instead of improving on what they gave us in Origins…

Mass Effect 2 was a shooter, yes they removed some RPG elements but the story was pretty tight and overall, great experience…Dragon Age II on the other hand, is like taking Mass Effect and putting it in a dark medieval fantasy setting…it just didn’t work…

@12 And they may be fulfilling some people’s tastes (while leaving a bad taste in the mouths of many others) but the reason Dragon Age II sold well was what I call the Black Ops effect (sold amazingly well due to prior success of Modern Warfare 2)…Dragon Age: Origins was such an awesome game (High 80s-90s on Metacritic) and therefore people bought Dragon Age II (79-low 80s on Metacritic) on the reputation of Dragon Age: Origins (like myself)…and those are the fans that are sorely disappointed and they need to not listen to the small sample of people that LOVED Dragon Age II and listen to the ones that have constructive criticism for them to go back to their roots…so they can find a balance, Origins did not need to be revamped and altered in such a way that it was unrecognizable

15. Phoenixblight

I actually loved DA2 much more than the original. THe bland areas, the extremely linear talent system and the turnbased combat, the catatonic protagonist lots of issues with the original.

My only gripe with DA2 was the reusing of maps which even Bg2 did and I still loved that game.