Norway store cans 51 brands after Oslo, Utøya murders

Friday, 29th July 2011 17:11 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Coop Norway has announced it is to stop carrying 51 gaming brands and toys previously available to customers, after the horrific events in Oslo and on Utøya, including games CoD4: Modern Warfare and World of Warcraft – titles which the perpetrator Anders Behring Breivik claims to have actively played.

According to a report in Norwegian newspaper Rogalands Avis, Geir Inge Stokke, director of Coop Norway Retail, said the retail giant is temporarily removing the games out of “consideration for those affected,” by last week’s murders.

“The decision to remove the games was made around the time we realized the scope of the attack,” he said. “Others are better suited than us, to point to the negative effects of games like these. At the moment it’s [appropriate] for us to take them down. I wouldn’t be surprised if others do the same.

“We have to think very carefully about when to bring these goods back. The economy involved is of no importance.”

Breivik, the man behind the attacks, mentioned in his “manifesto” time playing WoW and even went so far as to describe Modern Warfare as “training” tool in his “plan.”

Games confirmed as being removed from shelves by Gamers Globe include: Homefront, Black Ops, Modern Warfare 2, World at War, Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare, Sniper Ghost Warrior, and Counter-Strike Source (thanks, distraet).

Toys that “look or function as weapons” have also been removed.

Thanks: Anders, DSB.

1. _LarZen_

Adding to a horrible terror attack is the fear and the ignorance of companies as Coop. This is a sad day for all Norwegian gamers as their hobby has been linked to this horrible acts of 1 man.

2. Phoenixblight

Ugh, Yes because it couldn’t possibly be Breivik that is blamed, no because without MW or any of the games, he played he would never know how to kill people. Yeah because the internet is not used at all for such things….

Maybe they should look at what why he was playing games in such a matter instead of putting the blame on video games.

3. Prof.Dr.Moertel

Pointless… By removing WoW or any other games they won´t control peoples minds, obviously.

4. alterecho

He must have read moral science while at school. Will they blame that?

5. distraet

This is ridiculous.

6. Kabby

It’s just a facade to placate the Norwegian public. Blaming it on ‘these games’ lets them absolve themselves as a society and make it look like the government are taking action.

In the end there are many factors that influence these people.

7. DSB

It’s pretty sad that every attack on liberty leads others to further restrict it.

Not that it matters, but it was probably Modern Warfare 2, given that that was the game on his facebook page.

@6 It’s a company that has nothing to do with the government. The prime minister of Norway has said that the only way to retaliate is with more democracy, not less.

8. G1GAHURTZ

I’m just surprised that no-ones come out with a MW2 ‘No Russian’ link yet…

9. DSB

@8 Funny you should mention that. Being from Denmark I was glued to the TV when it all went down, and I was actually wondering when someone would mention “No Russian” on the 24 hour news networks.

It took roughly 2 hours after the facts were in.

It took roughly 5 minutes for people to blame the muslims, and even when it was known that the guy was tall with blonde hair, people were talking about an ethnically Norwegian guy working for muslim terrorists.

It was pretty funny to see a million “experts” go out to claim that it had all the hallmarks of islamic terrorism, only to see them panic and backpeddle once it became clear how horribly wrong they were :P

10. ManuOtaku

The sad thing is that now Norwegian gamers will not have their beloved games available, i feel their pain here in venezuela the only way to get games is true the black market the government did made a law that excludes violent games and that put on jail people that buy it / sell it, but i only hope this dont last long.

Having said that, how a game can train you in order to kill people?, i play a lot of battlefield BC, and halo reach and i know squat about killing people with weapons iam a dork handling weapons, jeez what a stupid correlation of effects.

11. Tech-N9ne

Despite the name I believe Coop is actually a grocery store, so while they are at it they might as well remove all food items, clothing, in fact they should remove anything that douche-bag has ever eaten or bought. Silly companies.

12. G1GAHURTZ

@9:

Serious?? The UK media didn’t really mention anything from what I saw… I could have missed it all, though.

How close (in terms of similarities and comradery) are Scandinavian countries to each other, btw?

13. FadeLive

As a Norwegian I can say that this is borderline disturbing. Banning certain games from their store on the basis that some nutjob terrorist asshole played them? What’s next are Coop going to ban the music that the scumbag piece of shit terrorist listened to as well?

This is not our way. This is not Norwegian. I sincerely hope Coop will rethink their ignorance. I am saddened by this.

14. DSB

@12 The coverage was massively different from the media here to things like CNN. People here were talking about white supremacists already around the evening, when CNN was still talking about Al Qaeda. And even then they only went over to “christian fundamentalist”.

Weirdly enough more people have been talking about World of Warcraft here than anything else. We don’t usually beat on videogames, but obviously the 24 hour channels have to fill the air with what they can get.

I’d say we’re almost as close as American states, but with a vastly different history. Our languages and societies are extremely similar, and we have agreements that mean we are offered the same rights as citizens in any scandinavian country. We don’t usually distinguish amongst eachother unless we’re taking the piss or trying to provoke :p

15. NeoSquall

This is retarded.

I had a better opinion of your culture, Norway.
    I am disappoint.

16. distraet

Danish media picked up on Modern Warfare 2 and World of Warcraft being mentioned on the killer’s Facebook profile within hours of the shooting. I covered it throughout the weekend for a Danish games website, and it was absolutely embarrassing how the Nordic mainstream media approached the situation.

17. Stephany Nunneley

@11 From what I gathered, it’s part of a chain: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coop_Norden

Updated with confirmed list of some of the games pulled thanks to the fair lady posting above me :)

18. FadeLive

@11 & @17

Its like the american Walmart chain. They sell food, clothes, games, dvds and other random stuff usually depending on the store. Some have bigger selections than others.

FYI apparently its not 51 games it’s 8 and another chain of stores has joined it (Platekompaniet). Here is the list of games they are removing:

Call of Duty: Black Ops
    Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2
    Call of Duty: World at War Platinum
    Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare Classic
    Sniper Ghost Warrior
    Counter-Strike Source
    World of Warcraft
    Homefront

Source:

EDIT: Nevermind saw the games just got added to article. VG247 edit ninjas strike again. :O

19. Stephany Nunneley

@15 You can’t blame an entire culture for the decisions made by shop keepers :D

20. DSB

@17 Yup, they run big selection of supermarkets. It’s not a giant in the scope of Walmart in any sense, there’s a lot of competitors.

And even if they did the same, then we have Gamestop and similar stores that carry games, so it’s not a total ban. COOP have been very quick to deploy their PR goons with high profile cases lately.

They recently removed a lot of vegetables after the “DOOMSDAY SUPER VIRUS” was discovered in Germany.

21. Stephany Nunneley

@18 then where did 51 come from? And those are already added in.

@20 I wish the Walmart here would just stop already with the vegetables and their crap prices on games along with them.

22. DSB

This says 51 items. Varelinjer basically means brands.

@21 I noticed it was pretty hard to find decent vegetables in that place. And they sell ready-cut salads – What the hell is up with that? Is stale salad better for you? :P

23. The_Deleted

Christ in heaven, NeoSquall, how will Norway cope with yet another disappointment?

24. Stephany Nunneley

@22 So 51 brands then! Gotcha. Thank you google translator, you are “teh suk” :D :D

25. DSB

Well brand in the sense of goods. Directly translated it means “lines of merchandise” or “lines of goods”. So that shouldn’t place it below 51 games, if the article is accurate.

*EDIT*

Actually, having read through it again, it essentially says “51 brands, including games and toys that are meant to look or function as weapons”

That would explain it.

My bad! Blame me!

26. revsouly

As gamers we are ticked when some one dares tells us we can’t play something.

However, have any of you guys posting ever lost a loved one to violence or other causes? Of course we all have and for a short time thereafter we don’t want anything to do with things associated with their death especially if it’s murder.

This nutjob killed women & children and then gloated and praised some games for helping him. If he had mentioned music or a book or a movie those probably would have had a temporary ban also.

Let’s show some compassion for those hurting, the games will be back for them. The people who want to play those particular games probably already have them anyway.

27. FuriousMachine

As a Norwegian gamer, I think it’s appropriate to set a few things straight:

Firstly, this has nothing to do with the Norwegian government, they have not blamed games (in fact, they haven’t even mentioned games) and there has been no call to ban anything anywhere. There hasn’t really been a focus on the games angle in the media either, apart from quoting his manifesto. I’ve been following this closely and have yet to see/hear any editorial opinion on the gaming angle.

Secondly, this is the decision made solely by two companies, one a grocerystore/megamarket chain (Coop) and the other a music/movie/game chain (Platekompaniet). It’s knee-jerk and stupid and most likely a cynical attempt to gain publicity.

Our games are safe, if you want to sympathize with us Norwegians, focus on the evil atrocities of that murderer.

28. Stephany Nunneley

@25 I always blame you anyway j/k :D – seriously though, thanks for the translation. It’s been updated once more.

29. distraet

@18 – It’s not only those eight games being removed, however it’s the only titles that Coop is willing to name. Stokke confirmed the list to me earlier today, but mentioned that there were other games classified as “realistic/role-playing shooters”, which also belonged to the removed games.

@26 – Problem is he did mention music like Clint Mansell’s “Lux Aeterna” and he posted several times about the music in Age of Conan, but apparently it hasn’t been of interest. Makes you consider how ignorant the press coverage was/is, and how video games once again have been used somewhat as a scapegoat for certain actions.

30. DSB

There are certain things that are interesting, also in connection to games. As many people have pointed out, he was obsessed with creating his own composite personality, dressing up in strange outfits that appealed to him, and basing his ideas on fragmented and globalized information, that he chose to see a pattern in online.

That certainly makes him a very “internet” kind of murderer. Lots of people believe fragmented information gained from the internet, because there’s so little context. Look at the ammount of conspiracy theories on things like 9-11 or Osama Bin Laden. Or any forum where people are able to construct shit like that.

Not to mention the creepy fact that he seemed to treat his public persona much like many people treat their avatars in WoW. Making various customes (mine was a leather harness with a Voodoo mask – Looked so hot when I did the blood elf dance) and inventing appealing background stories.

That’s not to say that the games or the internet affected his actual actions, but it seems to me like it affected his psyche more than most.

31. JRNO

Let’s make everything that guy liked illegal! That ought to fix the problem, right?

32. revsouly

I don’t think they are using the games as scapegoats, they just don’t want to see them around right now.

THIS IS JUST ME, but i believe others may feel the same:
    When my loved one died overseas in the war, none of my circle of friends wanted to have ANYTHING to do with military first-person-shooters. Period.

We didn’t use FPS’s as a scapegoats for his death, it just wasn’t appropriate to have around for a little bit.

Eventually it became less & less painful so FPS’s were okay again.

Remember 9-11? of course you do, & remember some games & movies were edited and revised to not show planes hitting buildings?

The spiderman movie poster or trailer, the flying sim, just to name a couple.
    It just wasn’t cool at that time.
    That’s all I’m saying. Just me though…

33. NeoSquall

lol ok, maybe I’ve shot too high this time.

It’s just that I didn’t expect a retarded action like this one.
    Even here in Italy the mainstream news reported that Breivnik played videogames and did it with a nonsense video, full of morality shit and failing accusations against videogames that basically enraged the whole italian gaming community.
    What they haven’t done yet is pull games from the shelves because of it.

This is really the consequence of such fear and ignorance that I didn’t expect to find in a country like Norway.

34. NeoSquall

@32 I remember they even edited the old glory Command & Conquer: Red Alert 2 – Yuri’s Revenge to remove the twin towers from a mission that was supposed to be set BENEATH them! :D

35. Stephany Nunneley

@34 Some tv shows even edited the towers out of films, and even old reruns.

36. DSB

And most importantly, the movie deal for Chuck Palahniuks “Survivor” fell through.

Tom Clancy had already written a novel in which a Japanese extremist flies a plane into Congress as early as 1996.

I think it’s fair to show consideration in the case of a game like Medal of Honor, that actually uses an ongoing war as entertainment. To me that’s not appropriate while people are still coming home.

In terms of terror attacks and random events, I guess it’s iffy. Should you remove racing games after 50 people die in a pile-up on the interstate?

The saddest part of blaming videogames is that it takes focus away from the real issue, which is quite often a case of lost kids, or simply demented people that are left to wallow in their own bile, like this guy.

After Columbine people were busy talking about Doom, rather than questioning how easy it is for American children to gain access to firearms.

Random mass killings are nothing new, they were happening long before videogames were a part of childrens lives, so I don’t see how they can retroactively become a contributing factor to something like that.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brenda_Ann_Spencer as an example.

37. albo88

why not removing the immigrant’s but they remove games? this is the liberal society that fuck face of PM was talking abut?
    ah man fuck politics

38. Bluey2309

I knew that gaming would take a blow when they announced WoW and MW2 were among his interest, I did however not anticipate this. Don’t get me wrong, as a Norwegian myself (but most importantly a fellow human being) I can understand the suffering and the personal hell these people and their relatives must have gone through – but I cant help but feel that this is the wrong way to go about it.

As countless other gamers who play violent war games I am not by any means a violent person. The games do not make you into a despicable being who commits manslaughter like Breivik did.

NRK had a so-called “expert” who went on about Breivik and his gaming hobby. He showed a forum post Breivik made on the official WoW forums where he wrote something about the epic feeling when an entire raid finally killed a dragon they were having problems with. The expert having obviously no clue about what he was reading went on about how Breivik had an epic feeling from killing PEOPLE and that the game was stimulating that for him.

39. kinski76

What’s next – ban Lacoste because the perp wore it to court? Ban fertilizer because it can be used to manufacture bombs? He drank alcohol, so this should obviously also be banned. Why don’t we ban knives? Death by stabbing is fairly common, after all. “Death by videogames” is yet to happen. I cannot get behind this decision at all. If you want to honor the victims, respect the causes they were fighting for – openness and democracy. We don’t need knee-jerk responses and paranoia. I’m boycotting Coop and Platekompaniet indefinitely, and I know many Norwegians who will do the same.

40. GwynbleiddiuM

So.. He read bible too, because the guy’s a really jacked up christian. I just want to know when they’re going to ban Christianity, Bible and church in Norway. Afterall his motivations were more driven by religion and ideology of a christian world than anything else. Also if I were a citizen there in norway, I would’ve demanded that they ban all books and public libraries, the guy seemed pretty interested in those things too.

41. Freek

A rather cynical way to exploite a tragedy to get your store in the news, shame on them.

42. TheWulf

I can’t help but smell the hypocrisy here, I honestly can’t. Okay. Do me a favour? Head on over to Encyclopedia Dramatica and have a bit of a read around. It’s okay, I’ll wait.

Done?

The first thing you need to realise is that ED is maintained by self-professed gamers, and one thing I’ve noticed amongst gamers is that they have a higher inclination toward misanthropy and xenophobia than other people. I mean, really, have you never played an online, competitive game? You’ve heard the slurs, every ethnicity and lifestyle choice under the sun gets used in a derogatory way.

I wish we’d stop sticking our heads in the sand about this, I really do. Due to the violent (and even racist and sexist, on occasion) nature of videogames, we DO have problems in our little subculture. It’s not something I feel I can ignore any more. And I can’t point at them and boo like a PMQ back bencher. I just can’t do it. I can’t say that this approach isn’t right.

I might get mocked and ridiculed for this but really… have you ever stopped to think about it? Misanthropy isn’t a stranger to many gamers, and I even remember not so long ago that there was a big uproar about how Dragon Age II was simply too alienating because of the ‘gay element.’ (Because gay characters MIGHT hit on you. GASP!)

There’s just this… encouragement in our subculture for youth to BE hateful, but not to learn how to channel their hatred properly, and there are parents (almost all parents) that don’t bother to teach their children that the hatred they’re channelling into videogame characters pours over into the real world.

Here’s a fun example: One instance on the STO forums where a guy was bitching about how certain races shouldn’t have rights because it goes against lore conventions. But a little poking pretty much factually revealed that he was a white supremacist, with so much evidence that not even the GMs could ignore it.

Until we really start looking into this, instances such as this one are going to continue to occur, and I’ll continue to be not surprised.

I’m just amazed that we still have our heads stuck in the sand about this.

43. FuriousMachine

@38: I obviously missed that report, but still, it thankfully hasn’t permeated the media coverage to any substantial degree (until COOP did their thing, obviously)

@42: That was really good read and made me think a bit deeper about this thing. Perhaps we as gamers should try to mitigate this issue ourselves? A friend of mine gave a speech at a festival opening in Finland recently, and here’s what he said: http://vollewelt.wordpress.com/2011/07/30/what-i-said/
    Perhaps we should take some of that advice when we encounter bigots online ourselves?

And in general: I wish people would stop referring to this as a ban, it is NOT a ban.

44. kinski76

@41 Indeed – it does seem like a publicity stunt.

If they wanted to come across as socially conscious and send out a “message”, shouldn’t they at least be consistent enough to also remove the recommendation for a game they’ve already taken off the shelves? Hypocrisy.

45. NeoSquall

I think that fertilizer is already sold trough strictly monitored channels since it’s been discovered as a IED material.

The fact is that the norse police didn’t actually care about the large amount of it that was being sold to one person (Breivnik), they were blissfully oblivious to this kind of menace like the USA was before 9/11.

46. G1GAHURTZ

@42:

Sorry, but most of what you wrote there is a complete load of nonsense.

If you really DID play online competitive games, you’d realise that the vast majority of online gamers are pretty ‘average’ people.

You are clearly suggesting that there’s some sort of intrinsic link between the low-lifes of this world and a desire to play video games. As if all civilised people just pick something better to so in their free time by default!?

The only really somewhat valid point that you make is about parenting.

There are football (and pretty much all other sports) hooligans, street gangs, political parties and a whole host of other things that teach violence, hatred and a lack of tolerance all before a kid gets home from school to start gaming.

There is no special link between gaming and scum.

Scum just like to game as much as other people…

47. GwynbleiddiuM

@TheWulf, I wont say that the two issue is completely unrelated and I certainly wont ridicule anyone just because they have a difference in opinion. However, If violent games played a part in this incident, it wouldn’t have been as great as the guys motives for all this.

I wont dismiss the fact that violence in games, or any type of media for that matter, gonna have some psychological impact on some people. But that’s minority of the intended audience and those very few are exposed, they just need a little push toward madness. As long as there are more dangerous motives to kill one another, games or any type of media play an irrelevant part in all this. The issue here is not video games, with each video game units you purchase, you wont receive a pack of plastic explosives or a semi-automatic. The games wont give you motivation to go out on a killing spree and publish a 1500 pages of documents on the subject of why you did it.

It is absolutely childish and immature of these people to think by banning video games they’re gonna fix anything. the problem lies elsewhere. It’s in ideologies and religion.

“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.”
    - Steven Weinberg, quoted in The New York Times, April 20, 1999
    US physicist

48. NeoSquall

@46 “If you really DID play online competitive games, you’d realise that the vast majority of gamers who do are pretty ‘average’ people.

It’s just a microphone screaming, vocal minority that you seem to have singled out and incorredctly labelled as being the majority.”

Maybe he only plays on consoles :trollface:

49. G1GAHURTZ

@47:

Not only is that Steven Weinberg (ironically a jewish name) quote completely plucked out of his own purely hypothetically based opinion, but he clearly has no understanding of the word ‘religion’.

50. DSB

Not to mention the fact that Breivik, like most other racists, had a serious inferiority complex, that led him to believe that extreme rightwing opinions were being oppressed by society (rather than simply being dismissed on account of being heinous and delusional).

In other words, banning him from any society, online or otherwise, would only serve to reinforce his motivation.

The fact that people have always been blaming the media serves to discredit a lot of that criticism. Before videogames it was rap or metal music, before rap or metal, it was movies, before movies, it was radio theater, before radio theater, it was books. All have been on the chopping block, simply on account of being misunderstood by people who didn’t know the first thing about that media, nor cared to learn.

51. NightCrawler1970

Don’t worry, Nors people will get shooting games from Amazon, just pay it and send it.. no goverment bullshit involves….

52. KillerDD

I think they´re overreacting.

Also, how can one train for something like that in World of Warcraft? MW2 isn’t that strange if you look at the airport mission, but Warcraft? Come on…

53. NightCrawler1970

Breivik open his fucking mouth about “i train it on COD”
    And the game got the blame… same thing pull all guns(whatever they have) and become a gunfree country like The Netherlands.. most no-brainers(goverment) blame the guns, but guns don’t kill people, people kill people….

another example 9/11 when Muslim attack US by dropping the planes in the building…

Bush never said ” OOOH WE HAVE TO BOOT ALL MUSLIM OUT OF THE COUNTRY” because of the terrorist act….

54. eagames2007

Night Crawler, the thing about that is, we Americans are too lazy to “boot all of the Muslims out of the country” and it’s against the Geneva conventions. But I’m pretty sure that there aren’t international restrictions about laws on video games. Also Muslim EXTREMISTS attacked the US, not Muslims.

55. Amaterasu

I’m just going to repost my two cents from over on the Carmack thread:

You know, there’s a second group lacking any kind of critical thinking or serious interest in discussing the topic of violence and video games other than politicians. And that’s gamers. The discourse is equally fucked up on either side of the fence and it’s just as idiotic to claim that games can’t have any connection to violent behaviour as it is to claim that games make sane and balanced people go bonkers.

Games have become a fully-fledged (well, at least to some extent) medium with its own expressive and creative potential and, just like other media, they have the ability to affect people on an emotional level. So, rather than categorically deny even the remotest possibility of any connection between violent games and violent behaviour, why not lead a serious discussion and dissect the medium in question. There’s certainly no reason to believe that somebody in their right mind with a balanced social and personal life will suddenly start shooting people. But is it so unthinkable that a cornered, marginalized individual with radical views and trouble to fit into the societal order could be negatively influenced by a game?

No! It’s not unthinkable! Just as it isn not unthinkable that a book, magazine, alcohol, drugs, and countless other factors could contribute, as a small part of a huge puzzle, admittely, to the radicalisation of such a person.

So grow a pair and try to take some responsibility for the medium you adore. No one says all gamers are potential killers (and if they do, they should well be disregarded and banned from the public debate on this matter. But for the sake of games as an adult, expressive and powerful medium, let’s at least allow for a discussion to take place. That won’t happen as long as the (admittedly blunt and ignorant at times) criticism in the media is just (equally bluntly) dismissed and derided by players.

So stand up and take some responsibility for this medium. Talk to people and explain to them what the difference is between violence in film, games and literature. Don’t just dismiss their fears, but take them seriously and ask yourself about the difference between protagonist-identification in film and player-control in games. Games have grown up (again, to a certain extent) and will continue getting more complex and tackling more complex subjects. In a similar vain to literature, film and numerous other media then, games have obtained responsibility and players should follow in taking this responsibility seriously.

No time to proofread this, so pardon the occasional spelling mistake.

56. DarkElfa

You think they’re overreacting?! So if my daughter kicks my son, I’m supposed to throw out every martial arts film I own?

57. Mordecai Walfish

I wonder.. will Norway also place a (at least temporary) ban on the bible as well?

It seems he does more to justify his actions through his extremist religious beliefs in his manifesto than anything else. Anyone can tell you that fps games involve increasingly realistic graphics and situations where you aim to shoot people or creatures. This could qualify them as minor training and strategy programs for any gun based activity.

In the same regard a game like “Final Fight” could be a hand to hand combat training program teaching players to properly engage large groups of enemies with weapons found in your immediate environment.. right? Then why haven’t we seen the random “Mike Haggar” (PC from Final Fight) impersonator juiced up on steroids walking around the New York subways clubbing entire stations to a bloody pulp with a lead pipe?

You likely never will unless the “Mike Haggar” in question is a religious nutjob looking to enact some of that “Old Testament Learnin’” that God so lovingly bestows on his children in those great stories of morality we have all come to know and cherish as the “Divine Word”. To someone indoctrinated so fully and vehemently into a religion any act of violence can be justified if it can help spread (force) their religion to others. As much as religion has tried to re-write history, and even the governing laws of the reality we live in, we are in an age of information now. It is apparent, to any who really care to see, what the real cause of this atrocity is.

Don’t let side-shows like this distract you. <3

58. NightCrawler1970

@54, ever heard about extreme christian??? well, there are NONE!!! but they read from the same book!!! for the christian called the bible and for the Muslim called Koran…

Extreme pricks makes there own fantasy rules, they modified the books because it sells better….

National Guard will clean it up, but budget death line is Tuesday, no budget no money!!!

54 quotes “it’s against the Geneva conventions.”, you TELL THAT TO AN AFRICAN DICTATORS??? about genocide ya own people, you know what those dictators gonna say?? “FUCK YOU”… dictators don’t give a shit about “geneva Conventions”, they are to busy counting the money and deposit on Cuban banks…

59. Christopher Jack

Screw religion. Sure it’s always nice to have something to believe in after death but it shouldn’t effect our day to day lives.

60. DaMan

@58 Really? Consider banning Nietzsche too, Hitler was inspired by his crazy stuff. The more power you have the easier it is to exploit.

Quran is an extension of the Bible, which in turn was based off jewish texts.

61. Hunam

Rule #1 of VG247: Don’t try and have reasonable discourse with lunatics.

62. Amaterasu

@58: “ever heard about extreme christian??? well, there are NONE!!!”

Well… WRONG! Now go and study up on history.

63. Christopher Jack

Extreme Christians? Christianity probably has the most extremists in the world.

64. Maximum Payne

@61 That is rule #1 of Internet :D

65. Patrick Garratt

Keep it sensible in here, please. No bigotry on this site.

66. YoungZer0

@TheWulf:

Oh boy, really?

First of all:

Gamers? What are gamers nowadays? It’s the guy left and right to you. Thanks to Wii and MMO’s like WoW, everybody is a gamer. The games that this psycho mentioned are complete main-stream. We aren’t the social-awkward-type anymore, that’s an image that’s being reinforced by the media, who’s mostly interested in getting the most views.

I’m from Germany, and had to laugh when they listed a few facts about the psychopath, one of them was “Played regularly killer-games like World of Warcraft”.

Do you play videogames? If you do, then you’re a “gamer”. But you still seem to think that most gamers are this fictional anti-social-living-in-the-basement-type. While science shows the complete opposite. I bet you play videogames regularly (otherwise you wouldn’t be here) but if someone would ask you if you’re a gamer, you’d deny it.

Encyclopedia Dramatica is written by 4channers. 4chan has a rep of being a paradise for misanthropes. Should have done your homework instead of making stuff-up.

And as i said before, since most people are gamers nowadays; your comment makes little sense.

“Due to the violent (and even racist and sexist, on occasion) nature of videogames, we DO have problems in our little subculture.”

You can find that in every media, but we gamers have to sit down and talk about it. Why are Gamers the only ones who have to listen to this “take responsibility” shit? All while Hollywood produces the next 10 SAW films. They don’t talk about that, nor do they take responsibility for it. Nor should they. People want to see this films, that’s why they exist. There have been thousands upon thousands of studies that show games in a positive light, but you choose to ignore it, like some FOX-News viewer.

That’s a problem of society, not videogames.

“Misanthropy isn’t a stranger to many gamers”

Gamers = Everyone. Live with it. You’re actually saying Misanthropy isn’t a stranger to many people. And i disagree with you. You seem to only see the negative things in the world and that’s your problem. If you’d open your eyes for the positive thinks and read into the negative news more than just the headline, you’d see that we’re far off from Misanthropy.

You mention Dragon Age 2, which just shows again that you didn’t do your homework. Just because SOME guy is a homophobe, suddenly all “Gamers” are misanthropes to you? There were two discussion btw. one guy didn’t like it and another gay guy didn’t like how the character was hitting on you. If you’d read some of the comments on the boards you’d have seen how many people disagree with it.

“There’s just this… encouragement in our subculture for youth to BE hateful”

Encouragement? How? Where? I have yet to see something like this in videogames. Watch Glenn Beck if you want to know what “encouragement to be hateful” means.

“We encourage it. And moreover we seem to offer shelter for crazy, hateful people. I mean, I know people complain about how other subcultures have sickos but so do we. And we encourage it. We tell them that they’ll be safe here. White supremacist? It doesn’t matter, we’re all gamers, right? We just like to kill guys. And this is something that really needs to be examined by us gamers because it seems like we lack an ethical code.”

Speak for yourself. I don’t play with racists, nor do i encourage it.

Lets say you find out that one of the people you meet online is a racist, some white supremacist, then what?

67. DSB

+1 YoungZero

Words like sexism and racism are being devalued every day by self-righteous indignants, who feel they have the right to take on the hardships and struggles of anybody they choose, rather than letting those people speak for themselves, about the issues that matter to them.

I’m so sick of listening to male gamers whining about sexism. What about letting female gamers speak, instead? Or would that challenge the male ego too much?

People are so horny to be insulted these days, all the time, and they’ll use any excuse. If a woman chooses to take her clothes off to earn some good money at a club, then the sirens go off, and the torches and pitchforks come out. If she chooses to cover herself up in religious garments, then an equal ammount of sirens go off, and the pitchforks and torches are brought out all the same.

Which says a lot about peoples backwards, idiotic morality, which is usually about anything other than actual liberty or social equality – And more about wanting the world to function after their own restrictive dogmas, with no room for people to be, or think differently.

It’s not about rights for people of other ethnicities, sexualities or genders, it’s about the herd and its need to define everything for everybody else.

Of course, the more gaming embeds itself in our culture, the more it’ll be subjected to those moralistic masturbators. Just like everything else.

68. Hybridpsycho

Man, all the stupid discussions and arguments here.

How about this:

1. Media do affect people, but clearly Anders did not choose to kill those people ’cause he had killed people in a game. Clearly, he wanted to make a point and get attention, which he succeeded with.

2. Wtf are you guys on about, sexism and racism amongst gamers? You speak of gamers as we’re a race, while we’re not. It doesn’t matter if you’re a gamer or if you’re a “normal person” (wierd expression?), you can still be a racist/sexist.
    Also, why can’t I, if I choose to, be a racist/sexist? As long as I don’t screw someone over, I do have the right to think or do whatever I want.
    You can’t take away my rights just ’cause you think it’s wrong to be a racist, if I firmly believe that (sorry about this) black people are worth less than me. Then I am allowed to believe that, if not then we take away everything that we’re fighting for.

Ofc if I go beat a person with a different skincolor than myself that’s a complete different thing, however this should not be treated as “racism” either, if you can’t prove that the reason for the crime was due to my racist beliefs.

Let’s say it like this:

A white guy physically assaults a black guy for having taken his bar seat. Now, why should this (as in most cases) be treated as a hate-crime?
    Please do answer this.

It’s now 06.00 in the morning and I shouldn’t sit up trying to argue/discuss thigns on the internet. I always tend to do this late at night / in the morning.

*Shakes fist* Damn you internet!