DICE and Infinity Ward discuss MW3 and BF3 rivalry, separately

Thursday, 28th July 2011 19:52 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Kevin O’Leary, brand manager for Battlefield 3, and Infinity Ward’s Robert Bowling have each spoken to Kotaku regarding the rivalry – be it real or fan imagined – between the two shooters slated for autumn, and both developers are resigned to the fact that “passionate” fan reaction comes as part and parcel with the territory.

Battlefield 3

Speaking in an interview with Kotaku, O’Leary said he doesn’t see the game and Modern Warfare 3 as competitors, at least not for the people who play both shooters. Instead, O’Leary feels this is going to be a “fantastic year” for gamers regardless due to all the games coming out.

“Our game focuses on this battlefield experience,” he said. “Even if it’s not a big map it feels like a big map. We give you so many tools; you can choose your vehicles, your weapons, your class.

“People can go for this sort of first-person shooter or that first-person shooter or say ‘Do I want both?’ We expect that a lot of people will go for both.”

O’Leary believes those who will purchase both are what he calls, “ultra-hit buyers,” which are those who purchase a game because it’s really popular or because it what their friends are buying.

“We want to win over the hardcore guys who may be on the fence,” he said. “We want to do that with Frostbite 2. It’s 30 frames per a second on console, but we have destruction, vehicles, a new animation system. It’s not about a number. It’s about the full experience.”

Modern Warfare 3

“Any game that has two very different audiences, you’re going to see [negative fan reaction],” said Infinity Ward’s Robert Bowling.”Every game has its passionate userbase. We see it from everybody.”

Speaking with Kotaku at a different venue, Bowling said such ardent fan vocalization on both ends  of the BF3 vs MW3 spectrum is to be expected and just pretty much “is what it is.”

Bowling also said negative reaction to the Modern Warfare games also gives the Infinity Ward team a bit of perspective, if it’s constructive criticism.

“We may have the number one selling game,,we may have, at times, the number one most played game,” he said. “So it’s very easy to sit back and say: ‘We’ve done our jobs perfectly. We have the best game ever created. Look at the numbers.’

“But then you can get online and have people kick dirt in your face constantly every day about anything that they may not like about the game. It allows you to have a gut check and a perspective that this is where we still need to go. This is work that we still need to do.

“[Twitter] was the best thing I’ve ever done from a development standpoint. It allows you to not rest on acclaim alone, whether critical or commercial, and makes you realize that there are still audiences out there that want to enjoy your games that may not even play shooters, that may not be into the type of game you make. ”

You can read the full thing for each through the links.

1. Stephany Nunneley

Had to throw the “separately” in there in case you all though it was a joint interview or something :D (and dogs would sprout wings…)

2. Erthazus

Except that i’m the audience for both games and one game does everything right and other… Not so much. There is no improvement on anything. With each itteration it’s just the same engine, more killstreaks, crappy engineering problems, retarded campaign, nothing new at all.
    Style over substance with Quake III Arena characters with modern warfare gear and guns.

It’s just milking the same game all over again. Now with sledgehammer and peasents that makes maps from RAVEN software which was a talented studio back in the days of STAR WARS: JK.

It’s hillarious what they are doing according to Wiki: Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 3 (DLC, user interface) (2011)

All Activision 1st party studios are the same. No talent at all. If someone made something that clicked with the audience they will milk it to death.

3. Crab of Thunder

Yeah I thought they did it joint until I read that, I am disappoint :(

4. Fin

Nah bro, you’re not the audience for these games. You complain too much, instead of just enjoying. They want people who play games because they’re fun, not people who cream themselves over pixels, and bitch about everything. (I mean you do both of these things, and don’t play games because they’re fun, just in case you missed it)

But hey, does it really matter? Activision’s going to get your money anyway (you’ve said multiple times you’re going to buy MW3, despite not liking Black Ops)

5. manamana

^ +1 and etc :-D

6. Erthazus

@4, your braind is damaged, so “Nah bro, you’re not the audience for these games”

“Activision’s going to get your money anyway”

“and don’t play because because they’re fun”

???

Herp Derp as always? No connection in your post. You need to work a bit more for your trolling, it’s not exquisite enough.
    Also, i don’t have much time playing “everything”. I play what i think is the best and what i “like” and what i like is not your concern.

go better, enjoy crappy game like Halo:Reach.

7. Fin

Cool no worries, let me clarify for you:

“Nah bro, you’re not the audience for these games”

This can’t be clarified any further, apologies.

“Activision’s going to get your money anyway”

You’ve said multiple times you’re going to buy MW3, despite not having enjoyed Black Ops – remember, I likened this to a kid grabbing an electric wire, saying “Ow”, then saying “Fuck it, I’ll do it again!”

“and don’t play because because they’re fun”

Sorry, I know English isn’t your first language – I’ve corrected my post. I meant to say “play game because they’re fun”. There was a “you” previously in the sentence, I was saying you don’t play games because they’re fun, you play them because you like looking at the graphics.

Yeah I didn’t say you play everything, I said you bitch about everything. If you read my post again, you’ll see.
    Y’see, I wouldn’t mind at all if you bought and played BF3, and were happy out. My problem is when you make comments spouting your bullshit (which is often completely fabricated, and you’ve no idea what you’re talking about – see Hz Vs FPS debate) about games that you dislike. I’m actually not really a fan of Halo (I still buy the games, but don’t consider them amazing, just fun), but I don’t go round saying “this is so shit shitty sub-hd grafix!!!” in stories about it, do I?

And no, I actually didn’t get to play Reach today – playing From Dust at the moment, it’s fucking awesome.

8. GrimRita

Thus far, Bf3 is essentially Bad Company 3, since as this moment in time, excluding 64 player maps, it has NOTHING in common with the original Bf series!

As for MW3, well I wont be buying it as Activision always port this turd on to PC = no sale!

And being number 1, doesnt mean you’re the best or actually any good just because any old shit sells in big numbers lately.

People will probably ‘buy’ both. When MW3 is released, just look at all the pre-owned BF3 copies there will be on the shelves…….

9. DSB

Comments > Article.

10. chriswhaaat

@8 why because BF3 has a SP now? So I’m guessing BF and BF2 were just names and a blank disc since obviously there was no MP because BF3 has “NOTHING” in common with it’s predecessors. Nice.

11. DaMystry22

I’m playing MW3 right now, it’s called black ops tho :)

12. YoungZer0

@7: Wasting time here, brah. That’s the problem with Erth, his english is so poor, that he doesn’t understand most sentences. Who’s problem is that? Yours of course.

Instead of sitting down and reading a dictionary, he’d be so impertinent, that he’d accuse someone of not speaking english properly. Even if things are pretty clear, they aren’t clear enough for him.

I don’t think you can use the “english is not your native language” excuse anymore.

If he has trouble speaking proper english (which he does) he should sit tight, shut up and learn the language. Not go around accusing, insulting and not-understanding.

13. UKTomm

‘ Activision 1st party studios are the same. No talent at all.’

I think saying the people that work on the franchise have no talent is out of order.

14. endgame

for the record: I’m a pixel whore too. bfbc2 and w2 look insanely awesome maxed out. I wouldn’t play them any other way. and luckily I don’t have too because my PC is powerful enough. :))

15. Maximum Payne

@14 What is W2 ?

16. Lounds

guessing he means mw2

17. endgame

no. sorry! I meant witcher 2. does mw2 look insanely awesome to u!? :)

18. Hybridpsycho

Quite lame of you guys to whine about Erth’z english when there’s nothing really wrong with it, it’s not alot more lousy than yours.

I don’t agree with him most of the time, but you’re just stupid if you come up with an excuse like that instead of reasonable arguments.

@4 The fact that you use this as an argument “Nah bro, you’re not the audience for these games. You complain too much, instead of just enjoying. They want people who play games because they’re fun”, makes you sound like a complete moron and a douchebag.
    Who doesn’t play games ’cause they’re fun? I don’t think Erth is the only one not doing it for that reason.

He is on the other hand completely right about the MW series, it’s the same overused material we’ve seen since CoD 4 (Mind you CoD4 was good, went downhill from there).

“You’ve said multiple times you’re going to buy MW3, despite not having enjoyed Black Ops – remember”
    This as well, are you even aware of the fact that Black Ops and MW3 has different developers?
    I know that Activision whips them both pretty good, but having different devs can make alot of difference.

Not saying that MW3 will be good, because it won’t. It will suck tremendously.

19. ManuOtaku

I know that Earthazus is an aggressive poster from time to time and i dont agree must of the time with him, but i respect his point of view nontheless, but i think he made some valid points regarding the Call of Duty franchise especially that is the same engine over and over again, that it has some engineering problems, and theres nothing new at all, i know the same can be said about halo and to a lesser extend battlefield, but at least DICE is willing to evolve the engine from time to time, and they are trying adding new things like the gold game in the first Bad company, for me the 3 series are great done games, but battlefield has the edge for the above mentioned reasons, and because it fits my liking, is more team oriented and is not run and gunning style of play.

20. Hybridpsycho

^

DICE is trying to innovate way more, just look at all the stuff they added gameplay wise in BF3.

21. DSB

It would be innovative if they weren’t just porting BC2 to a new engine with a few extra features. Honestly, if a few gimmicks is all it takes, then your standards aren’t very high to begin with.

Shooters have always been common as dirt. The only real innovations I can think of is Battlefield 2′s command and control system, and Swat 3, where the objective was to not shoot people.

Kudos to DICE for the animations and the lighting and taking the lead on those things, but that doesn’t exactly make a revolutionary game by itself.

22. ManuOtaku

#20 oh yes i know i forgot to mention that, but i think you will get my point, thanks.

23. G1GAHURTZ

@20:

They HAVE to…

“If you do what you’ve always done, you’ll get what you’ve always gotten”.

24. Hybridpsycho

@23 Did I say it was a bad thing?

Ofc they have to, I’m just saying that they’re doing it FAR more than IW

25. StolenGlory

SWAT 3 always gets me vote because you got to taser over-zealous grannies in the face.

A bit base perhaps, but I had to get my kicks somehow :)

26. DSB

@25 That’s Swat 4 dude :P I hated that game.

I highly highly recommend that, even after all these years. One of the very few games where the AI hits the balance between highly trained professional and being capable of human error. In Swat 4 they were just cannonfodder.

It kinda goes over the top towards the end, but it’s an outstanding game. Also fully moddable, with lots of lovely mods. I play it at least once a year.

27. StolenGlory

Ah crap, I knew it was *one* of them :)

Cheers for the link, I think I might invest!

28. DSB

Lots of mods there apparently. I was getting a little worried because the old mod sites were disappearing :P

29. Gadzooks!

#19

Equipment (jetpack, armor lock, bubble shield, hologram decoy)
    Dual wielding
    Space combat!!
    Firefight mode
    Infection mode
    Vehicle racing modes
    Juggernaut mode
    Headhunter mode
    Skull gameplay modifiers
    Theatre mode
    Forge mode

Just some of the Halo series features added in sequels. It is in fact one of the most progressive shooters out there.

30. ManuOtaku