Epic Games websites and forums recently hacked

Saturday, 11th June 2011 14:08 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Epic has sent out emails to those how are registered on its website and forums that they have a new password after the site got hacked.

Here’s the email in full:

Our Epic Games web sites and forums were recently hacked. After some downtime, they’re back up and running now.

The hackers may have obtained the email addresses and encrypted passwords of forum users. Plaintext passwords weren’t revealed, but it’s possible that those passwords could be obtained by a brute-force attack on the encrypted passwords. Therefore, we have reset all passwords. Your new password at the bottom of this message.

The Unreal Developer Network (UDN) hasn’t been compromised. Thankfully, none of our web sites ask for, or store, credit card information or other financial data.

We’re sorry for the inconvenience, and appreciate everyone’s patience as we wrestle our servers back under control.

Tim Sweeney
Founder, Epic Games Inc

It just never ends anymore does it? For more information hit up the forums.

Thanks, someguy2.

1. Maximum Payne

Should we worried or laughing ?

2. Bluscope

I know I shouldn’t but after this:

I can’t help but giggle ;)

3. cyberdog

bleszinski is really stupid if he believes you can work with hackers.
    The more you egg them on the more likey it is they will hit you.

4. Qwaf

@ #2 and #3.

You’re both idiots. There is a difference between the hacking he is talking about and that hacking that has gone on here.

5. Bluscope

#4 I disagree with hacking in any way, shape or form therefore I disagree with you. Also calling someone an idiot over the internet, real mature.

6. DSB

Hacking has always contributed to moving software forward, which is exactly what Beszinski was talking about, as Qwaf points out.

If you look at almost any IT-related advance over the last 30 years, there’s very likely a hacker or two behind it.

The idea that all hackers are these stupid punks that just try to ruin everybody elses day is just ignorant. The punks are just the ones that get the most airtime.

7. Bluscope

#6 I respect your opinion, mostly because unlike Qwaf, you managed to write a paragraph without a poor insult ;) I don’t particularly agree with you but that’s life.

8. Christopher Jack

@6, He clearly doesn’t know the difference between somebody who attacks a network & somebody who modifies software. Same point can be applied to somebody who says that they hate games but then goes on to watch a sports show. Hacking can mean many things, so lets not drift off into a rabble about semantics yet again.

9. Bluscope

I agree ignore me, I have a differing opinion so I’m obviously an idiot. God the amount of superiority complexes on this site is beyond ridiculous.

10. Christopher Jack

@9, Your entire argument is based on the assumption that you know the meaning of ‘hack’, you’re assuming that all hackers are dicks fucking with network security, that’s far from true. While many hackers do this, that’s still only an insignificant minority, the majority of hackers are programmers & developers who have to alter software in order to improve upon it.

11. Bluscope

@10 I don’t have an “argument” because I’m not looking for a debate or an argument, I’m stating an opinion, something you clearly don’t know how to appreciate.

So stop trying to annoy me and go away please, I’m trying to sort out my email account, Thank you in advance angry man :D.

12. Christopher Jack

Your opinion is that you “disagree with hacking in any way, shape or form” but you don’t even know what hacking is, you’re assuming that you know what it is.
    You sound like a politician, somebody who doesn’t quite grasp the situation but continues to act anyway, disregarding the consequences, not that there really is any in this particular circumstance.

13. Bluscope

Okay, I’m obviously not getting through to you, **I DON’T WANT AN ARGUMENT** which part are you missing??

You feel free to continue furiously typing at your keyboard my friend, I’m going out :)

14. Christopher Jack

I guess that ignorance truly is bliss.

15. Bluscope

Hehe, speak to you soon dude, bai ;)

16. albo88

@#15 http://cache.ohinternet.com/images/0/0e/Forever_Alone.png

17. Bluscope

#16 You actually went to the trouble of searching for that pic just for me? am I so annoying? You’ve got no clue have you?

This is pretty fun hang on, ahem…

I’m not looking for an argument you strange little man, take your anger and go away.

God you people are easy, if you can’t spot an obvious troll then why bother? ;)

18. Bluscope

Thanks for the pic btw, I’m actually serious now I’m gonna use that. Muchos Gracias Senor ;)

19. neon6

Why is it after PSNgate that nobody’s protecting their customers?

20. danhese

Do ppl still think its some kind of righteous rebellion against “The Man”.

21. revsouly

excuse my ignorance, but let me get this straight.
    __
    All hackers ARE programmer’s & developers?

Not All programmer’s & developer’s are hackers?
    __

Did I get that right?
    No sarcasm intended. I want to know, with a degree or MCSE, am I considered a programmer or a hacker?

Full disclosure, the comp that I work for does “modify” existing programs, BUT we had to pay the owner for the right to do it.

So is hacking just “illegal” programming?
    Educate me.

22. wily8906

This is pretty fun hang on, hehehe.