First Gears of War 3 campaign trailer goes big on setpieces

Saturday, 28th May 2011 21:55 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Microsoft’s aired the first campaign trailer of Gears of War 3.

As promised, it aired at the end of the Champions League final between Barcelona and Manchester United.

The trailer kicks off with the opening scene from the teaser trailer featuring Marcus and his father Adam.

It shows off more moments between COG forces and Locust forces, as well as new enemy variant, the Lambent. There’s some Black Sabbath in there too.

Watch it below.

Gears of War 3 releases worldwide on September 20 for Xbox 360.

1. someguy2

Edit:

HD version-

2. Johnny Cullen

Trailer’s being sorted for the YT channel now. Watch for it in about five minutes.

3. dkblackhawk

@2: Why not post it now?

4. Johnny Cullen

It’s in.

5. reask

Man Black Sabbath.
    Shit MS know how to do ads.
    Awesome. :D

6. Johnny Cullen

Black Sabbith? Meh. Wouldn’t have been able to tell the difference.

7. reask

LOL you’re too young to remember a real rock band JC. :D
    Ozzy for the win. ffs you even spelt it wrong. sacrilege.

8. PapaJustify

some scenes looked quite nice (big monsters), but it looks like Unreal and am pretty sure any story is as shallow as Unreal’s.

A bit more creativity would do Epic some good.

9. Bloodyghost

I liked some of the scenes, as you see more humans now, the lambent are also the enemies and it shows.

There are some epic parts….

Also War Pigs got me bobbing my head for this game…even if I like CAKE’s version of the song a little more then the original Ozzy fronted one.

For those who dont know, this trailer is probably going to be the most we see of the games single player since at E3, we are getting the demo of Gears 3 Horde Mode 2.0.

Cant wait to see that Horde Mode!!!

10. StolenGlory

HD version here: (Don’t worry no music video shenanigans to be found)

11. Moonwalker1982

So they won’t show any gameplay from the campaign during E3? Horde 2.0 is fine witrh me too, i love Horde. Definitely gonna be playing that mode to death again when Gears 3 comes out. Also curious about Beast mode.

One thing i hated about Gears 2 though was the final boss, i’m just gonna say that i hope they won’t pull that shit in Gears 3.

12. Bloodyghost

@11 I hear you. The Final Boss battle ended too soon for me and was WAY too fucking easy. All it was, was do this and that.

But I think since Marcus’s story is going to end, we get to play an epic ending to the trilogy, so the story might be rather intresting especially given the fact that the Humans are getting the shit kicked out of them, the Lambent make there show up to the Triple Threat Battle, and life is slowly diminishing for humanity.

Lets just hope that finding Adam Fenix gives Marcus Fenix and crew a super powerful thing that kills every Locust and Lambent. There making the whole brothers in arms battles a little more realistic but that would seriously turn me off like it did in Gears 2 when you go into the Worm thing and survive.

Lastly, I think Lambent Waves either assisting or helping/going after you will be interesting to see in Horde Mode.

13. Moonwalker1982

@ 12

Yeah it’s no doubt gonna be epic as hell. But yeah..the Gears 2 boss was a joke, first time i saw it i thought ‘Oooooh my….now it’s gonna go down!!!’ I started shooting at it..and…it was over. Riiiiiiiiight!!!:S

14. Bloodyghost

@13 Exactly. It was a epic set up for a epic battle that was just….place 3 easy shots here without getting hit or injured as your doing it or making the shot.

You just had to line the shot up to a giant target that was close to impossible to miss.

15. nashtyboy

Guys – we’ve heard you loud and clear on the boss fights, I’m sure you’ll love what we have for you this time around, especially for the finale.

Also, Cliff will be showing a few minutes from the campaign on stage at the microsoft event at e3, and more of it will be seen elsewhere during the show.

-Nash

16. nashtyboy

By the way, that last fight in G2 wasn’t planned that way… We ran out of time to implement it the way we wanted. Not one of our proudest moments, to be sure.

-Nash

17. Henry

@nashtyboy Are you an Epic staff?

18. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Fucking epic trailer. I pre-ordered months ago. This trailer surpassed my expectations. Well played Epic.

19. Mike

War pigs.

20. GwynbleiddiuM

Gears of War games never appealed to me, I dunno why considering I love shooters a lot.

21. Dimaco

@1: you are an evil, evil person.

22. Blerk

Song – awesome. Movie – pretty damn good. Not quite so sure that they went together very well, though.

Lots of cash spent by MS last night, I see – the MW3 trailer at half time was Xbox-branded too. They should’ve sponsored Barcelona as well. :-D

23. polygem

@20: same here…i love shooters and i really crave good 3rd person shooters sometimes but gears always left me unimpressed. i liked to play through both though. but i could never understand the hype for it. for my taste it was just too much tough guy bullcrap to take – and not in a funny duke nuke em way, uninspired design etc. but some boss battles were great. good shooters. not outstanding and definitely not made for my taste. this will be a rental sometime for me, but one i´ll probably enjoy. that´s good. i don´t need another game on my to buy list…it´s crowded already.

24. GwynbleiddiuM

@23 yup I like the Boss battles too but that just it, I played through GeoW 1 and 2 left’em both unfinished even though visually it looks cool but from artistic angles that just nothing impressive, and it has absolutely no plot. Enemy designs are horrid makes you wonder aliens as savage and brutal and mindless like locusts how came up to certain technological advancements to travel through space and such. And I might borrow it from a friend but I wont buy it as my cart is full of awesome titles that I am actually anticipating.

25. manamana

@Gwynny I wouldn’t go that far to say absolutely no plot but yes, the story is thin. So whats the point? Gears is a heck of fun, especially played in co-op and horde with friends is nearly unrivaled. So take your whining “my cart is full of awesome titles”-buttocks and go play doodle jump. Gears 3 MP was absolute fun to me and that can really do without you, thanks. Btw.: facial expression of Marcus … epic.

26. polygem

@5: relax. noone said it´s a bad game. if you enjoyed it that´s fine. i did as well but not that much. no need to call anyone a doodle jumper. the criticism he stated is correct imo. it´s all opinion anyway. gears is just too flat, to brutal in an uncool, teeny, tough guy bullshit way and too uninspired imo to make it a real must play game. the gameplay itself is really good though. in the end and overall i even enjoyed lost planet (it´s 3rd person as well and was realeased close to gears 1 if i recall that correctly -that´s why i compare) much much more. many people said LP is trash. i think these people are very wrong. it´s story was flat as well. still i could connect much more to the art design etc. it´s a matter of opinion and taste. i still enjoyed the hell out of that game…so what…

27. Zana

@25 A bit nervous aren’t you? Gears is probably fun but it’s ugly. Personally, I can’t play a game when the art direction is so bad–well, for my own taste of course. I’ve tried but I really can’t.

28. jldoom

I’ll say this about it, the franchise is interesting enough for me to play through it once all the way through, but then after that I have no more push to play the game more than once. It’s a good franchise, but maybe there’s room for improvement, I just can’t put my thumb on what. The art direction is pretty damn impressive, and the game play is fun as hell. It just doesn’t draw me back in after the 1st playthrough. This will probably be a rental for me.

29. manamana

@26 I love all kinds of games and the diversity in Art Direction. If you find the Art Direction ugly, its ok, because its not meant to be sleek as say brink. Its also not my favorite kind of taste, but the big, bad, brutal characters and the aliens and the environment are well put together and form a unit. So the Art Direction as a whole works. But its not the graphic design that keeps me coming back. Its the gameplay. Especially playing with friends, online or linked. And for Gears3 the almost ponderous movements are improved a lot. But yes, to each his own.

Lost Planet has a nice Art, but gameplay wise, it was (at least for me) horrendous, because of the controls. Each time (permanently) you will go down to the ground and while everything around you needs bullets or rockets, it takes for ever to get back on your feet. And than hits another explosion and you are down again. It wasnt just smooth for me gameplay wise. The style was cool, though.
    At the end of the day, design and story wise, nothing comes close to the Half-Life Saga ^_^

30. manamana

Oh, I forgot to mention that at launch Gears was indeed a mustplay title. Nowadays its something different.

31. reask

I personally think gears was a benchmark game for what was considered next gen.
    Is it a stand out title now?
    Yes I reckon it is.