Ace Attorney film hinted at by Thirteen Assassins director

Tuesday, 24th May 2011 00:15 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Takashi Miike has dropped some pretty heavy hints suggesting he’s working on a Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney film. Yes. Please.

“It is a very light comedy that I am filming now, a court drama, based on a video game, the Nintendo game DS,” Miike said, speaking to the Huffington Post of his current project.

The director was attending the 2011 Cannes film festival to promote his latest film, Hara-Kiri: Death of a Samurai.

His long and prolific career includes many cult favourites, including Thirteen Assassins, Zatoichi, Zebraman and – waitforitwaitforit – Dead or Alive and its sequel.

There’s plenty of material in the Ace Attorney series – six core entries at present – although notably little of it includes fight scenes. Pity.

Thanks, cubed3.

1. TheWulf

Oooh, yay! Though it would really need to be translated by Capcom’s team to retain the humour we know and love.

2. neon6

How far away will it veer from it’s original concept?

3. Schindet Nemo

OBJECTION!

I don’t think this will work out well.

4. Gurdil

Now THAT’S weird! oO Two exciting elements (a film about Ace Attorney and a new film by Takashi Miike) but I can’t seem to imagine how this could turn out in the end. It’s just…. WTF?!? I don’t mean I’m sure it’ll fail ’cause you never know but they’re just two very different universes…

5. Transgenique

You’re aware that the Takashi Miike’s Dead or Alive have nothing to do with the vidéogame series, right ?

6. Jeru

Also Zatoichi (at least it’s latest incarnation) is a Takeshi KITANO film, not Miike’s. No biggie, but you don’t need to be an otaku to know or check this, right? ;)

7. Gurdil

@5 I think Brenna mentioned the Dead or Alive films ’cause they’re very popular and very well done, hinting that he could do a nice work with Ace Attorney, not because she mistook them for the video game adaptation.

@6 True. Well, TBH Miike did direct a Zatoichi iteration but it was a play, not a movie.

On a side note, Brenna didn’t mention my all-time Miike favorite: Visitor Q! Now that’s an insane movie! lol

8. Transgenique

The “– waitforitwaitforit –” thing made me doubt of it #7, and the Zatoichi thing isn’t there to reassure me :p

9. Gurdil

@8 Didn’t see it that way, maybe you’re right then ^^

10. Transgenique

No big deal anyway, can’t wait to see what a guy like Miike is going to do with an Ace Attorney movie :)

11. Amaterasu

waitforitwaitforit – Japanese film culture fail!