Sony Ericsson: “No concerns” with Xperia Play PS1 Classics despite low sales

Thursday, 12th May 2011 15:28 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Sony Ericsson has said its not worried about sales numbers for PS1 Classics on Xperia Play, saying it has “no concerns” of it so far.

“I think there’s also an awareness thing for people that are getting their hands on the device and where they are choosing to purchase games,” head of market development Dominic Neil-Dwyer told PSLS.

“There’s only a few, at the minute, PlayStation One titles there, and there’s more coming on a regular basis, and there’s the whole PlayStation as a content provider exclusive to the device, the story about that, that will emerge and people will see.

“So, there’s no concerns, it’s a revolutionary device, it’s shaking up the market, we’re very pleased with it.”

He added that there’s still more unannounced classics to come, and that feedback on the line-up that exists right now is “good.”

“We know there’s a lot more to come that we’re not, obviously, releasing yet,” he added.

“We’re releasing as we go, rather than telling everyone the full story, and I think everyone appreciates that you have a good line-up at the start of selling a device, because it is a smartphone and it has a good line-up – and that line-up will grow – and the feedback we got on that line-up is that it is a good line-up, so we’re very happy where we are.”

1. Blerk

I’m beginning to wonder if Sony is cursed!

2. OlderGamer

I just think Sony has been hit by a “perfect storm” type thing, Blerk.

3. Deacon

‘revolutionary’ is going a bit far…

The device isn’t what it could have been, and I’ve thought all along that it would fade quietly into gaming history.

Those figures at the bottom are pretty feeble.

4. Christopher Jack

I had the choice out of waiting another month & paying $0 upfront & a total of $40 per month on a 24 months contract for SEX Play, or get the Galaxy S now for $0 upfront & a total of $29 per month on a 24 month contract.

I chose to get the Galaxy S yesterday & it’s, for lack of a better word, magnificent! Playing videos on it is spectacular & while I’m sure to miss the opportunity of having gaming controls on my mobile phone, there’s just not enough software to support it & there won’t be for sometime.

In saying that, I firmly do believe that Android will one day be a serious contender for the gaming industry’s crown, especially given the fact that they just announced that they’re updating Google TV to support Honeycomb 3.1.

I believe that Apple may have a chance too, but not with iOS, at least not in the state that it’s in now, it may be simple to use but in the future, that will likely be it’s downfall-too simple, no customization, nothing other than a grid of icons on top of a wallpaper, it’s boring & even the Apple loyalists will notice it when it’s on their 50″+ screen.

5. Gadzooks!

‘Cursed’ would imply their incompetance was the work of external forces.. ;)

6. Christopher Jack

I’m sure that the tsunami & earthquakes were also due to Sony’s incompetence.
    -Some things are unfortunately unavoidable, & there’s no one to shift the blame on to. Truthully, Sony didn’t care about the software, they used it as gimmicks to shift enough SEX Plays so that when PSSuite-the only thing Sony cares about through this ordeal, comes out, & if that fails, then you can blame that on incompetence.

7. FabioPal

“The site mentioned sales numbers for a number of titles on the phone, with most titles in the 100-500 area. The biggest-selling title of the lot is Destruction Derby at 500-1,000.”

100-500.. downloads? per month? or total? O_O

8. OlderGamer

Just for clearification my Perfect Storm comment wasn’t aimed at JPs earthquake/tsunami. Wasn’t even thinking of that(guess that shows), wasn’t meaning to be insensitive.

Just mean that the conditions had to be just right for Sony to have happen to them what did.

9. Deacon

@FabioPal

I know right ?

10. Erthazus

I said before it’s a piece of… and i was right again.

I knew it won’t sell.

11. Christopher Jack

@10, *PS1 classics are a “piece of…”?
    *jkn, I KNOW you were talking about the Xperia Play itself, but this article doesn’t mention it’s sales, hasn’t even been released in it’s largest demographic yet.

12. Razor

And to think people jumped all over me when I said this thing would go nowhere.

Feels good man.

13. Erthazus

There are just so many wrong things about this device. When they showed it i was already “MEH” about it from the start.

but when they showed specs and capabilities of it. FAIL was written all over it. I said here: It’s a failure because “blah blah blah”

Sony defenders as always: CRY MOAR PEACH!!!!111 YOU ARE STOOPID! YOU DON’T KNOW!1

If you want to be successfull in the Smartphone market, you should not have technoogy up to date, but something beyond that with decent marketing tool.
    Xperia Play was outdated and didn’t had something relevant. It’s not even a competitor to it’s own Sony ericsson xperia x10 which to be honest is another piece of overpriced garbage with OK hardware. Marketing tool for this device were controls… But why you need for PS1 and stupid android App store? Average person don’t care about that.

Sony is doing really well with NGP, but after PSN Outage, Playstation Move, XPERIA Play, PSP Go, i just can’t see how they can’t FUCK UP NGP. NGP sounds like a magic, but i already sense something “FAPtastic” from the OS they are making for it.

It’s impossible for Sony to release a normal product this generation. This generation Sony is the worst. I’m sorry Sony, but thats truth. Except for TV’s. They are as always, overpriced but top notch.

14. FabioPal

@9 Uhm… I just would like a clarification for what those numbers are related to…

15. rrw

i have play and i think its awesome phone for me (as gamer) you can play most ps1 game without trouble

obviously low sales is because people just buy pirated copy

16. Gadzooks!

#8

Don’t worry OG, there’s no implication in your post that you are using the Japanese disaster as a joke.

After all, you’d have to be an insensitive dick to use such events as point scoring in a forum grudge match wouldnt you?

17. OlderGamer

Aye, but I just wanted to leave no doubt or room for twisting.

18. jevonski

I have it and I love the phone, shame the 6 games on there are pretty boring only medieval and syphon filter are any good + crash bandicoot came with the device so that wouldn’t reflect in the sales.

hoping they release more interesting games for it though.