New Alien targets “Red Dead Redemption, Arkham Asylum”

Thursday, 12th May 2011 11:29 GMT By Martin Mathers

Sega studio Creative Assembly is working on a new Alien game for consoles, the developer confirmed in a press conference this morning, and is aiming for the very top with the project.

Creative Assembly, the Sega-owned studio best known for its Total War series, has used a seemingly innocuous corporate event to make another rather more interesting announcement: it’s working on a brand new game based on the Alien franchise.

The project, which was actually leaked ahead of the official embargo by Minister for Communication, Culture and Creative Industry Ed Vaizey on his Twitter account, comes off the back of CA opening a new 10,000 square foot studio in Horsham, West Sussex and showing it off to the visiting politician.

With games based on the Alien franchise being renowned previously for fast-paced action and lots of blasting, though, some people might be surprised that a studio with a reputation for strategy titles like CA might be creating such a title. For Sega though, the decision was simple.

“Specifically, CA came to us with the pitch and we were super excited about it,” says Gary Dunn, Sega’s senior VP of production.

“We thought long and hard about it, but if Creative Assembly is about one thing it’s about high standard, and that DNA will undoubtedly flow through the console team into the game.”

“We’re aiming for the Red Dead Redemptions, the Arkham Asylums; that’s absolutely where we want to be.”

Alien marks the first console game from the UK studio since 2008’s Viking: Battle For Asgard – Stormrise came from CA’s Australian studio – and only the second that it’s created from scratch, but studio director Tim Heaton doesn’t see inexperience as a problem.

“We’ve actually had a console team from the very early days, back when we were doing ports for EA, so the core of that team has been here all the time,” he says.

“When we were talking about what the console team should do next though, we knew that Sega had the Alien license around and so we decided to put together a demo in about six weeks.

“That demo was fantastic and that’s when everything changed – we took it to Sega, showed them what we wanted like to do and they totally got it, totally put their support behind it.”

No gameplay yet

That the studio managed to put the demo together in such a short space of time is interesting in itself, since it suggests that the Alien’s gameplay – which isn’t being revealed at the upcoming E3 show in June – could be of a style that CA already has experience in: strategy.

Indeed, the studio wasn’t shying away from the suggestion today.

“It’s playing to the console team’s strengths, certainly,” admits Heaton. “Let’s face it, the Alien IP is fantastic stuff to work with and the team are all geeks who all love that sort of thing, so it works well.

“One of our big questions marks was that we didn’t want to just make a game out of a film license – you know, just deliver the film and that’s about it. We’re aiming for the Red Dead Redemptions, the Arkham Asylums; that’s absolutely where we want to be. We want to make a 90 percent game that’s easily communicable to people simply because it’s in that Alien world.”

Currently, the developer employs 160 people but plans to expand to over 200 with the hiring of artists, programmers, designers and more to populate both its new console team, who’ll work to bring the Alien game together, and also bolster its Total War team.

That said, the new game is seeing the teams come together, which again gives suggestion of where Alien may be heading.

A job ad logo for the game.

“There’s a certain amount of crossover between the teams,” says Mike Simpson, CA’s creative director and the creator of Total War.

“Not to the extent of a detriment to Total War, but definitely a crossover to some degree.”

What isn’t likely, however, is the inclusion of support for unique peripherals such as Kinect or Move – despite having seen examples of its games hacked into Microsoft’s motion sensor on YouTube, Heaton has his priorities focused elsewhere.

“We’re absolutely thinking of that stuff,” he says, “but we have a core game and we’re thinking how to deliver it.”

Alien is currently being developed for undisclosed console formats – though if it’s not Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3, we’ll be massively surprised – and has no release date at present.

1. EscoBlades

LOLOL!

2. Blerk

I’d very much like a good Alien game. But seeing as it’s coming from Sega I’m not holding my breath. :-(

I haven’t watched the movies in ages, actually. Might dig ‘em out.

3. Deacon

The Alien movies still look great to this very day. Same with the original Predator.

As lovely as it would be to have a decent Alien game, I highly doubt we’ll ever see one.

I think my favourite was Alien 3 on the SNES ; p

4. Freek

Continueing the tradition of Sega anouncing interesting sounding Alien game and then not actually producing anything at all.

5. StolenGlory

Well, CA pretty much excel at doing RTS’ only so an Alien RTS would be a nice change of pace.

Less Stormrise and more Total War though hopefully :)

6. Blerk

I don’t think I’ve seen Predator since the 80s!

My favourite Alien game was this one, although I’ll give a special mention to the Aliens game, which was also pretty cool. Both very tense! :-)

I think the only other Alien game I played was Alien Trilogy on the PSOne. Which was… er… Doom.

7. deadstoned

I love Alien and Creative Assembly so I expect awesomeness from those guys =D . Also Ed Vaizey is a right ****, he still hasn’t replied to any emails I’ve sent him.

8. Christopher Jack

What about Gearbox’s Alien game (Colonial Marines) published by Sega? We’ve heard fuck all about it -_-

9. StolenGlory

I reckon that will get a huge blowout at E3 to be fair. The game is still very much alive, but I guess they just want to get DNF out of the way first before they go crazy with a big reveal and stuff.

10. StolenGlory

CVG have just reported that Sega want the game to be ‘A peer to Dead Space 2′.

That sounds grand and everything, but can anyone see Creative Assembly pulling out the goods doing a third person survival horror? Really?

11. azmza

I think they will create new game based from upcoming Alien movie in next year 2012.

12. Maximum Payne

OFTOPIC: is it font different on this site now ? Some how its not bold or something.

13. frostquake

HORRIBLE FONT…

CA and Sega, not a great track record for the consoles, and the games like Viking and the BROKEN Stormrise were so frustrating, No way I will take a chance at full price..sorry.

14. ManuOtaku

They have high ambitions for this, and they are seem pretty excited about doing the alien franchise a really deserved good service, these situation seems to remind me the one with rocksteady and batman, i really hope that all this exciment go to make the game good, i will be paying close attention to this game now, i hope they can make it, you have my support, just one thing sega please dont cancell this one too ok, have faith in it.

By the way we need more info on the other Sega Alien game, the one been made by the borderlands developer.

15. Patrick Garratt

That’s fully updated now.

16. TheWulf

The only Alien game I really liked was the original Aliens vs Predator, the one released on the PC back in 2000. The controls for the alien felt so very right and perfect, and you could actually play as the aliens!

I’m sorry, but the marines are the boring option. Man with gun. Good grief, it’s not like we haven’t done that a billion times before, is it? Man with gun is such an incredibly fresh concept, yes it is. Sigh. Yeah, not at all interested in the marines.

So long as they allow for playable aliens, I’m all behind this. If it’s just the marines? Meh. It’s just another dull man with gun game, and I’ll skip over it.

Also, along with playable aliens, they need to get the look of the alien right. The new AvsP game was awful in regards to art direction. The films and countless comic books have been doing aliens right for decades. How hard can it be?

17. IL DUCE

So yeah…strategy game sounds boring…I’m waiting for Colonial Marines from Gearbox

18. IL DUCE

@16 what did you expect dude it was made by Rebellion? They are one of the worst studios in existence…in fact, I don’t even know how they are still in existence, did you happen to check out that train wreck knowns as Rogue Warrior? Jesus Christ, that was one of the worst games ever made…their recent track record was abysmal before AvP and while AvP was decent it certainly didn’t impress me one bit, the graphics blew hardcore…and then don’t forget their wonderful game Shellshock 2 which probably is a close second to Rogue Warrior of the worst game ever, and might even take the grand prize…they may have made decent games in the past or some good portable titles but they haven’t done anything good in the past 3-4 years at least

19. G1GAHURTZ

The Alien brand took a steep nosedive somewhere in the late ’90s and hasn’t looked anywhere close to recovering since.

20. Hunam

Last years AvP game was alright. It was a bit strange, but punching out and Alien was pretty fucking amazing. Hilarious, stupid but still amazing.

21. KL

give us Ripley somehow :P

22. LOLshock94

WHY THE FUCK DID I NOT SEE THIS?

23. DSB

@2 More like since it’s coming from The Creative Assembly.

People are saying that Shogun is great, I haven’t gotten around to it myself, but generally their games take years of patches, a lot of which never arrive.

They’d be Obsidian if there was no Obsidian.