PS3 3D keynote confirmed for Develop

Wednesday, 11th May 2011 11:52 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Develop organisers have announced this morning that a PS3 3D post-mortem will take place at the event in July.

To look at PS3′s first year in 3D, SCE WorldWide Studios 3D boss Mick Hocking will give a talk known as “The Stereoscopic 3D Experience: The First Year of 3D on PlayStation 3″ at the Odeon cinema in Brighton that will begin the third day.

“I’m really looking forward to giving this keynote at Develop. I’ll be doing a 3D post-mortem from Killzone 3, and also showing how we implemented 3D as an advanced post effect in SOCOM 4,” said Hocking.

“I’ll look at how we used a 2D camera for 3D augmented reality in EyePet Move. Actually being able to show these on a big screen with surround sound will make all the difference for the audience.”

Develop takes place between July 19-21 in Brighton.

1. Blerk

Post-mortem? 3D’s dead already? :-D

2. a7md1990

I see!!

3. ManuOtaku

#1 LOL, i think that was a poor word choice i would said post -expirience or something on those lines 8D

4. Gadzooks!

3D with glasses was stillborn.

Too early to tell if non-glasses 3D will survive.

5. Kerplunk

Post-mortem” is a standard term for this type of review/analysis.

Many genuinely fascinating game post-mortems here

6. DrDamn

I think Post-mortem in this context is specifically applied to individual games and not the core subject. I.e. he says “a 3D post-mortem from Killzone 3″.

3D in SOCOM 4 was pretty impressive in that it was done in a similar way to Crysis 2. Post-processing an initial image rather than re-rendering. The result is a little more subtle than a full 3D implementation but with a much smaller performance impact. Presumably this is shared knowledge with Sony’s internal studios now.

7. Erthazus

the best 3D i saw is not from sony games. The best game in 3D was Metro 2033.

but i think it will change with Uncharted 3. Good luck to Sony with 3D technology.

8. DaveDogg

at the moment 3D is just a case of extended pretties nothing more it adds nothing to the gameplay and i really dont think the majority of gamers care

9. OlderGamer

@8 +1

10. OrbitMonkey

I wouldn’t mind having the cash to splash on a 3D tv… Probably still spend it on beer :) Same effect from what I hear… Blurred vision & a headache after ;)

11. NapalmAssault

I own a 3D-TV and I’m very happy with it. Crysis 2 or Killzone 3 in 3D is fracking awesome. There can’t be enough 3D games!!

12. Nozz

@10 lol! basically sums up my past experiences with 3D

13. NightCrawler1970

Guess we all wait when both game-consoles comes with Holographs-deck :D, no glasses and camera’s needed, but plenty of space room to play…