Rumor – Heavenly Sword 2 in the works, more coming at E3

Saturday, 7th May 2011 22:58 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

And here’s another rumor for you today: A UK gaming magazine is claiming that Heavenly Sword 2 is in the works.

According to PlayGamer (via The Silent Chief), the next game will be set 10 years after the first one, and is an open-world sandbox title.

Missions will be replayable within an interactive environment, and you will have to earn the famous sword in the game by mastering various different disciplines of martial arts.

The magazine suggests players will start out with basic hand-to-hand combat before moving onto more intense physical combat learnings before being able to wield the Heavenly Sword.

More information at E3 is expected according to the article.

Last year, Ninja Theory boss Tameem Antoniades said he had thought about putting Nariko in Hell should a sequel be created, and Kai would be playable “in the real world and would communicate with Nariko and try and help rescue her soul,” and that Kai would transform from a “teenage girl to old woman.”

This was just an idea though, and not confirmation of a sequel or anything else.

Ninja Theory has since released Enslaved,and is currently at work on a Devil May Cry reboot for Capcom – something we have not heard about in a bloody age or three.

We’ll send a mail.

Thanks, Gek.

1. The1stMJC

Oh please please please.
    For an early PS3 title it was decent and with more time and PS3 experience it could be amazing.

2. Erthazus

Yeah.. CRAPPY Gameplay with OK graphics and mediocre story.

3. Dark

please sony let santa monica makes Heavenly Sword 2!

4. SplatteredHouse

I am made up by this news. If it turns out to be true and we do see HS2 at E3…Wow that would be amazing! :D

5. Erthazus

If someone can make Heavenly Sword 2 it’s only Sony’s Santa Monica Team.

After Enslaved (Uncharted cinematic set pieces rip off with bad gameplay and ok Story for children) and Heavenly Sword (Failure in every major way) failures i won’t buy any game that is from Ninja Theory.

Also, i hope DmC will be finished at some point. Capcom must realize that Studio that can’t make a game (only bad interactive movies with good motion capture) can’t make great hack and slash games. End of story.

@3, IF ONLY. Now that could be neat.

6. Ge0force

@Erthazus: don’t you ever get tired of yourself?

Heavenly Sword was not bad at all, a bit short but the gameplay was fun. Enslaved was a way better game than I expected, great story telling but limited combat.

7. nikk900

@Erthazus I agree with Ge0force, you seem to hate a lot of games dude. It was a decent game and your acting as if it was one of the worse games ever.

I’ll be really looking forward to this game if this rumor comes to fruition, I loved the first one, was one of the better early ps3 games with some cool characters, fun gameplay and nice visuals.

8. Nozz

First bit of gaming news that got me smiling in ages!

If they can make this one longer with lots of replayability, they are definitely onto a winner.

Also, I’m glad they are dropping the linearity and are going sandbox/open world.

9. Erthazus

@nikk900, it’s not the worst game ever made, but it’s not great, good or decent. It’s just mediocre. 60$ for this is just too much. I had great expectations first time.

It’s just not worth it and after another failure like Enslaved where they focused on Storytelling and DMC which we all know look like.. c.. cr..

Anyway, maybe Santa Monica will help them. I don’t know. I’m not excited for this at all.

10. ManuOtaku

I did liked this game a lot hope that they improve adding a block button and last longer

11. TruthisPower

This is incredible news, if true. However, I do not share the desire that this should be developed by anyone other than Ninja Theory. It’s their baby. They know where a sequel needs to go.

12. TruthisPower

And both Heavenly Sword and Enslaved were very good games. Heavenly Sword nearly an 80% average on Metacritic, while Enslaved is well into the mid-80% average on Metacritic.

13. rrw

HS is okay game. good start for new developer

14. sb319

@13 I guess you missed Kung Fu Chaos then

15. nofear360

I really liked Enslaved. It was far from perfect, yeah, but still a great experience if you ask me.

16. SuperCrazyLeprechaun

Enslaved was to linear and the combat was very basic but damn it was one of the most entertaining games i have played in a while.

17. Hunam

I started enslaved, but seeing as the game stops you exploring as much as it can by blocking off routes once you have taken one annoyed me so much that I just had to turn the game off.

18. rrw

#14 they still relatively new. HS is their first big project

19. DaMan

Enslaved should’ve been a point and click adventure game, the gameplay just ended up being a chore.

20. _LarZen_

Launch games usaly aint that good, but Heavenly Sword is on of the better and I REALY hope a sequel is coming.

21. earlyrock

I loved HS, a very good early PS3 game. Always deserved a sequel.

22. YoungZer0

@5: Oh, shut up, you tosser. You never played Enslaved. This “story for children” went way over your stupid head. And i can’t remember playing a scene in Uncharted 2 like the one from Enslaved. “Rip-off” like Uncharted invented Set-Pieces, shows again how little you know.

23. Kabby

So angry.

24. Erthazus

@22, Go and jerk of to your favourite DMC character. We know you love it, everything else what you just said is a rant from a 17 year old NT fanboy who need to stop jerking off.

also, i never said that Uncharted invented set-pieces.

25. Christopher Jack

We all know that if there’s one slight flaw in a game, Erthazus will be the first to criticize it but you just don’t criticize it, you act as if it’s a personal insult – all you’re really doing is showing how much of a child you are with all these tantrums.
    As of right now, many of us just see you as a troll who’s more interested in derailing a thread rather than contributing to the discussions. I’m not saying you can’t criticize anything, just be respectful, it’s easier than you may think.
    A good tip would be to elaborate all of your slander as a personal view point rather than acting as if it’s fact. A simple “I think” or “In my opinion” would suffice, you’d be surprised by how much it’ll help you not look like an arrogant child.

@3, I’d prefer talented studios like Santa Monica be put to work on creating new franchises rather than sequels, sequels SEQUELS!!!
    I’m obviously not saying that sequels are bad, I’d just like to see such creative guys expand their works of art as far as they can within reason.

26. sb319

@18 They started up 11 years ago. Does that still count as new?

27. Erthazus

“We all know that if there’s one slight flaw in a game”

We all know Who?

there is not just a slight flaw, there are a LOT of flaws in this game. From short campaign to weak gameplay and basic story with not so much of a support.

As DaMan said this game should be point and click from the beggining.

28. woodyrulesok

I thought Heavenly Sword was a great game and had a good story.
    The character acting was the best I have seen in a game, Steve Berkoff as Flying Fox was scarily awesome.

29. YoungZer0

@27: Again, just showing off just how much of a child you are.