PSPgone: Sony Japan confirms slide-console as canned

Wednesday, 20th April 2011 08:37 GMT By Stace Harman

Sony Computer Entertainment Japan has confirmed that it’s ceased production of PSPgo, a day after rumours of the handheld’s demise.

Sony told Japanese website AV Watch – via Kotaku – that production of PSPgo has been stopped in order for the company “to concentrate on NGP”.

Sony said that the UMD-based PSP-3000 will “continue to be sold, and we will keep focusing our attention on it from here on out.”

An earlier report from Japanese website Phileweb – translated by Andriasang – said that all future sales of the hardware would be limited to current stock, whilst a notice on the Japanese PlayStation.com store read “shipment ended”.

While Sony’s UK online store, shows the black PSPgo to be ‘temporarily unavilable”, the white console is currently still available for next day delivery.

Following speculation of the PSPgo’s demise, Sony issued a statement yesterday that neither confirmed nor denied the rumours:

“It is a very exciting time for PlayStation portable devices. Before the end of the year we are launching NGP, our next generation portable device, which we believe will revolutionise portable gaming. In the meantime, the current generation of PSPs continue to be in demand, especially since the introduction of our value for money, Essentials range of games and we will continue to meet that demand.”

PSPgo launched towards the end of 2009 and proved unpopular with some retailers due to its lack of a physical media drive.

All software titles for the device are downloadable, cutting the retailers out of the software supply chain.

Sony’s NGP, the successor to PSP, is launching towards the end of 2011.

Thanks to Blerk for the headline.

Thanks, Eurogamer.

1. Blerk

PSPgoaway.

2. Lounds

my sony psp-1001 still works 5 years 7 months later

3. XDamage

Good. They should concentrate all efforts on getting the NGP right.

4. Patrick Garratt

@1 – It keeps on giving :D

5. Blerk

;-)

6. typeface

I do wish there were more jokes than PSPgone cause it’s the same one in multiple sites already :P. I mean really it’s like opening 5 newspapers and reading the exact same headline.

To be fair though, the hardware wasn’t bad and I got one for free – it does feel tiny but it’s ok. The GBA micro and Atari Lynx were worse in my opinion.
    If digital pricing was fairer we’d probably not have these issues but so long as certain third party publishers like to sell things at ridiculous rates and so long as Sony doesn’t enforce some sort of decent pricing scheme digital only devices would have that issue. Digital pricing is a pain, if not for steam sales really most things on steam itself are overpriced but there’s plenty of sales fortunately.

7. Dannybuoy

I sold my PSP before christmas. It was a decent enough device. Only problem I had was the size of it. I have small hands and it really hurt my fingers and thumbs during long play sessions.

8. mart

PSPgowned

9. Patrick Garratt

PSPguckedintheass?

10. Blerk

PSPgowalkoutthedoordon’tturnaroundnowcauseyou’renotwelcomeanymoreweren’tyoutheone
    thattriedtohurtmewithgoodbyeyouthinkI’dcrumbleyouthinkI’dlaydownanddieohnonot
    IIwillsurviv….ohwaitnoI’mdead.

11. Johnny Cullen

XD

12. Blerk

PSPgoosed.

13. Blerk

PSPghost.

14. neon6

Price cuts can help move out stock.

15. kingofscotland

I bought one and it is really nice piece of kit but like others was put off as loads of content missing from digital library that was promised and the store prices were sometimes £29.99 for a new game where you could buy the UMD for £16 so I sold mine.

But I did back up all games to MediaGo so when the NGP comes out I’ll be able to transfer them all on to it giving me a 15 game head start.

PSPgo was definately a ‘test the water’ and if it took off then the NGP wouldnt have physical media so I am glad that it failed so we get both physical and digital.

16. Lounds

PSPgo should of been the origional realse, PSP with a hardrive would of been possible back in 2004/5, then it could of competed with the ipod 20gb video at the time. Look at steam, thats digital content done right! that will be the biggest PC dominate online shop forever imo. Eventually they’l buy Onlive or something or make something better.

17. jldoom

@#2 haha Yup! Same here. Had to replace the thumb stick because it fell off while putting in and taking it out of my backpack but thats hardware done right. Long life span if you ask me.

18. Lounds

@17 hell yeah, hey i even dropped mine on holiday in greece during 2006, into the sea while walking on some rocks near beach and I dryed it out and it still worked, no screen damage or nothing