Peter Molyneux wants to be involved with the new Syndicate

Monday, 28th March 2011 23:02 GMT By Brenna Hillier

Peter Molyneux has said he’ll be delighted if the Syndicate remake rumours are true, but would dearly love to give EA the benefit of his expertise on the matter.

“It’s a great feeling to see something you’ve created still have life or meaning,” the Lionhead boss told CVG.

“But my first thought is: ‘I wish I could just spend a day with them saying what I thought was really special about Syndicate, or another title for that matter.’”

Not that he doesn’t trust EA, or objects to its treatment of other Bullfrog properties, such as Populous.

“They’re smart people and I’m sure they’ll work it out. But it’s like a parent watching their kid grow up and do something with their life – you still want to be a little bit involved.

“There’s been a Populous DS. That was okay, it didn’t do brilliantly. Again, I wish I had ten minutes with them at the start.”

Molyneux added wistfully that of all the Bullfrog franchises, he would have most liked to be in on Syndicate, going so far as to offer his phone number if EA want to take him up on it.

But the designer isn’t actually considering a revisit to the past with his own team.

“I’m actually not a huge fan of remakes,” he said, “Only because I think there’s too many other ideas to work on.”

Developer Starbreeze, known to be in cahoots with EA on at least one project, filed trademarks last year for Syndicate. Several sources have added fuel to the rumour, and a reveal has been expected on multiple occasions, including closed-doors demos at this year’s GDC.

Newly incumbent EA Games boss Frank Gibeau said last week that the publisher wasn’t overlooking older IP.

[image - not official]

1. DeathJynx

A day to recommend x box exclusivity?

2. JimFear-666

so… Molyneu seems to think he’s the only genius on earth? But after every fable he said that he wasnt happy with the game after saying it was one of the best game ever 3 months before…

3. YoungZer0

It wasn’t even officially announced yet.

4. Ireland Michael

@3 Read the wording carefully. He said he’d like to help *if* it happens to be true.

I love how everyone is turning this into a Molyneux hate-fest. Bullfrog was Molyneux’s and Edgar’s company, and he produced the damn game! He have ever right to feel some attachment to the title.

Haters gotta hate, I guess.

5. LOLshock94

if molyneux didnt talk shit then he would be respected

6. GwynbleiddiuM

for the love of god keep your hands off Syndicate and keep your head in your own shit cause things you recently create even out shitted the shit itself. Go and play your fables.. shooo…

7. Ireland Michael

@6 You do realise you’re talking about the guy who helped create the damn thing in the first place, right?

8. GwynbleiddiuM

ofc I know that, I also know he no longer has what it takes to create a descent title. His games keep getting worse. Not everyone who worked on some title gonna make it better if they get involved.