Downloadable Resident Evil 4, Code Veronica HD get western release this fall

Thursday, 24th March 2011 15:04 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Capcom’s just confirmed that both HD versions of Resident Evil 4 and Resident Evil: Code Veronica will release in the west this fall for PS3 and 360.

More so, the titles will not come in a collection as it will do in Japan – as announced earlier this week – instead, they’ll launch as downloadable titles for Xbox Live and PSN.

The news is to celebrate the 15th anniversary of the Resident Evil series this year, with the first title in the series – made famous by Shinji Mikami – releasing in 1996. It got a re-release earlier this week on the PlayStation Store.

Resident Evil 4 sees Leon Kennedy explore a Spanish village in order to find the kidnapped daughter of the US president whilst coming across cultists, mutants and mind-controlled villagers along the way.

Ada Wong’s Separate Ways epilogue will also be included.

Code Veronica has Claire Redfield captured and sent to Rockfort Island after investigating an Umbrella facility in Paris.

There’s comparison screens of Resident Evil 4 below.

1. Blerk

Downloadable is a better way to do this than on disc, I think. They should take note that BG&E was only 800msp, too.

2. StolenGlory

Aye they should, but if RE4 comes out at 1200MSP and CV comes out at 800MSP, I won’t feel too badly slighted.

3. PEYJ

How much is 800 MSpoints in £ or Euros?

4. Suikoden Fan

dowbload only for us? nah wont bother then

5. Blerk

800 points is just short of £7.

6. KrazyKraut

Mh…I prefer disc..so looks like I need to import the game-.

7. StolenGlory

And 9.30 Euros.

8. spiderLAW

They seem to be using the PS2 version to upscale. Why? The Gamecube version had the best graphics all around and looks great on the Wii. I would rather see that.
    Play RE4 gamecube on the dolphin emulator in HD and it looks great.

9. Blerk

How do you know it’s based on the PS2 version, spider? I only played the Cube version so I don’t know what the differences are.

10. daytripper

1200 points i reckon

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

I like this. This also doesn’t rule out the possibility of RE gamecube remake coming someday as downloadable title too (in my dreams I’m sure).

Both day one purchase.

Now if Capcom would just address their E3 2009 Resident Evil PSP announcement…

12. spiderLAW

@9 The textures and variations of color. The PS2′s color, textures, and polygon. The PS2′s version had to dumb down all three i order to maintain a solid framerate. Looking at the first screen, some variations of colors/shades in Leon’s shirt is missing (ps2). In the 2nd screen, look at the arm of the Village man in front and also look at the rest of the villagers in the back, they are low polygon/jagged models. And again, the arm in screen 5.
    It might be to early to say for sure this is PS2 version, but judging by the screens, its very reminiscent of the PS2 version. Also a clue would be the bonus content. That content only came with the PS2 version and not the Gamecube.

13. BULArmy

Why no Pc version, I will gladly buy both games even on 15$.

14. Blerk

There’s already a PC version of Resi 4. But it’s shit.

15. Aimless

@12 Separate Ways also appeared in the Wii version.

For what it’s worth the trees in the scans appear to be the GameCube ones; the PS2 version had fewer branches to cut down on the number of polygons.

16. spiderLAW

The trees? what trees?

17. jldoom

Well, I’m looking forward to Code Veronica with updated graphics. I watched my cousin play through it but never bothered to play it again since I just saw the whole game get demolished in a few days lol. Praying that it’s not too expensive.

18. Aimless

@16 From the Famitsu scans. The image is a bit small but the trees certainly look more bifurcated than the PS2 version.

19. Crab of Thunder

Awesome news, though i can’t see it being any cheaper than 1200msp/£11.99 or whatever the equivalent is.

20. spiderLAW

@18 O, cool, great observation.

21. BloodyJoe

Move support?

22. osric90

What the hell? I want this on a disc, I want to HAVE it. Let’s hope Europe are smart again and release this in a Bluray for PS3, America is screwing up things right now (Prince of Persia)… dammit. Do anybody know if this is going to have english language or more in the Japanese bluray?

23. AHA-Lambda

i can live without code veronica but RE4 in HD? Dayone! :D

Game is a damned classic!!

24. triggerhappy686

Niiiccccee. Glad there availible separately, I’ll be getting CV day one. Must say that comparison shot with Krauser in it looks pretty good. You would think they would have used the gamecube version to do this but the inclusion of the Seperate Ways chapter makes me think its PS2. Who knows. Anyway its looking better than I imagined. Now the hoping and praying begins for an HD remake of REmake and RE0 :)

edit: reading this makes me think its the PS2 version their using