Packaged NGP games will get day-one digital release

Friday, 18th March 2011 19:56 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Sony’s Andrew House has said all physical games for NGP will be made available simultaneously in digital form at release.

Speaking with MCV, House said Sony learned through PSP that a “simultaneous delivery,” is important for both the consumer and developers.

“That is one of the attractions of having a hybrid approach to distribution,” he said. “You have maximum flexibility. It gives a great opportunity for retailers to continue to be an active part in the business. But at the same time, it gives the consumer the flexibility of digital access to content.

“I also think publishers will start to look at distribution methods depending on the size of content. Clearly if you have big blockbuster games, then downloading them is perhaps not the best experience.

“One thing we learnt from PSP, is that we want to have simultaneous delivery in digital and physical for NGP. Just to clarify that, all games that appear physically will be made available digitally. Not necessarily all games have to be made available physically. And having the option of a digital-only method affords more creative risk-taking, and that’s because you don’t-have that in-built risk of physical inventory.

“What I’d like to see is a hierarchy of different games of different sizes. So at the high-end you’ve got these big, premium games, which by and large will be available physically because that is the most convenient way to access them. And then there’s an opportunity for digital-only, where we might see more experimentation.”

Last year during gamescom, House told VG247 that Sony has underestimated the consumers fondness for packaged goods with PSPgo, and told MCV that PSPgo was “introduced in a mature lifecycle to learn more about what the consumer wanted.”

Thanks, Wired.

1. theevilaires

I’ll believe it when I see it. And I hope they give us an option to use the XMB on this thing I don’t like the U.I. it looks like something from a leap frog child’s toy.

2. spiderLAW

Hmmm… i want it NAO!!!!!

3. Erthazus

I want to see first of all launch lineup. Then i will say NAO!!!111

So far so good, i don’t even care about that cheap chinese U.I.

4. Gama_888

Wow, thats very nice, Ngp is starting to look more and more like the portable of next generation. This along with cloud based saves which im assuming there will be.

And with the pricing the other day im starting to get hyped about this :)

5. onlineatron

Get the price right (games & console) and you have my money Sony.

If I can buy downloadable titles for similar to Amazon prices, then I’m never buying a packaged NGP game.

Publishers would be wise to go easy on the price, keep us away from pre-owned games.

6. revolting

I’m with TEA on this one. As much as I love the tech this thing has, and I’m more than impressed by what they’re aiming for software wise, I really, really dislike the main menu UI’s round wobbly icons. Entirely too toy-like. Obviously they want this thing to be as child-friendly as possible, but I think they’ve gone a bit too far in that direction… as a non-child, I find the UI completely alienating.

I know icons on the main menu are an entirely trivial thing to get bent out of shape over. After all, how much time do you spend on a console’s menu? Virtually none. The games/applications/media are what you’re there for, not the menu that precedes them. But I really, really dislike those wobbly buggers. They put me right off.

As to the actual topic at hand, I’ll be impressed if they actually pull that off. I seem to recall similar claims being made for the current PSN store when the Go was doing the rounds, that every UMD release would be accompanied by a digital counterpart, but when push came to shove, was this even close to true? I have no idea of the numbers on how closely the two were matched, but as a casual spectator it didn’t seem like they lived up to the claim.

7. G1GAHURTZ

Day one downloads are the future of gaming.

8. DrDamn

Agree, the pricing of digital download titles is going to be key here. Hopefully they have learned that from the PSP too.

9. tenthousandgothsonacid

@8 It’s weird though as Sony et al are keeping the digital prices at rrp so as not to alienate the bricks and mortar shops which (at the same time) are screwing them with secondhand sales.

It’s just a matter of time until Sony declare war back on the shops and effectively make them redundant by lowering the digital price.

Maybe they like the margins atm though…