Dragon Age II on short release to “capitalize on the success of Origins,” says composer

Friday, 11th March 2011 07:42 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Dragon Age II composer Inon Zur has said the sequel was put out less than 18 months after the release of Origins due to EA wishing to gain quick success on the back of the original.

“Unlike other titles from Bioware, this [score] was kind of a rush job,” Zur told IGN.

“EA really wanted to capitalize on the success of Origins, so the game was really being pushed hard to be released now.”

Origins released back in 2009.

The BioWare RPG sequel has seen decent reviews in the eights and nines, although Edge has given it a six. Meta score right now is at 83 on PS3 and 360, with the PC version at 84.

Having released in the US on Tuesday, the game launches in the UK today.

1. RockTwist

There’s a surprise. Never expected that from EA. /Sarcasm

2. Phoenixblight

Well whats great is that this game is far better than the original. 7 years for them to develop Dragon Age Origins and only 2 years they can create something better. Thats so weird./sarcasm

3. Joe Anderson

It does feel rushed in areas, for example some dungeons are reused a few times and some of the missions do feel a little repetitive, overall though its a excellent game.

Count me in for Dragon Age 3.

4. RockTwist

@2 Weird, you seem to have confused my grumble at EA’s business practices with me saying Dragon Age 2 is worse than the first. Strange that. Especially as I agree the second is better.

Edit: Oh and Edge gave Dragon Age: Origins 5 so their 6 is actually an improvement.

5. Zurtech

Hope this isn’t the return of EA going back into their “Activision” mode, especially given they’ve finally lost that image and started supporting their dev studios more.

6. frostquake

It does feel like a Dragon Age 1.5. It is streamlined, and has a dumb down feeling to it. Though I am still enjoying it. That said, it does look quite a bit better. I am also enjoying the Facebook game tying in items with the Console version and unlocking items.

Though it does concern me, that the impact from Quick Little Social Games and Phone games will set a new business model for consoles, and we will start getting crappy little games on consoles!

7. Uncontested

Yes it feels very rushed… almost every area in game is used over and over again.. the same location for multiple peoples hide outs… lol… so dumb.. couldnt be bothered to make a few new dungeons eh?

8. dtyk

EA is not really totally to blame though. A friend of mine in the industry told me that DAO was developed, parked, developed, parked, etc etc. That’s why it dragged on for 12 years. I don’t blame EA for feeling a bit hasty.

9. Phoenixblight

@6 If its so dumbed down why don’t you attempt Nightmare mode and you would see that is a fallacy.

The combat system is essentially DAO without the waiting timers. What Aspect of the game has been “dumbed down”?

10. ManBearPig

hmmmmm i can see them definitely doing this for ME3

11. YoungZer0

I think Edge is the only Magazine that gave the game a honest review. I this game continues to sell well we’re going to see Dragon Age 3 in one year.

12. The_Red

BioWare really needs to fucking slow down and stop rushing their games. Seriously, they should have release DA2 in 2012 and ME3 in 2013 or later.

13. yoggesothothe

@9 My assessment exactly. I guess people just don’t like playing Dragon Age in nightmare mode? They’re missing out since that’s when all the mechanics systems really come into play, when every action and skill counts.

If anything, DA2 has done a better job so far of making every skill decision really matter–you could still brute force through a lot of stuff in DAO. You can tell how well the mechanics work by noticing how easy a battle is when you do everything right, and how quickly things fall apart when you slip up just a little.

Although, the charging melee thing does make hit and run abuse-able. Plus, I can’t get over how crappy setting down area of effect stuff is without the overhead view (stupid snap-to!), but that’s a PC only change anyway.

14. frostquake

@ 9

I am sure Nightmare would kick my butt and make me cry like a lemming forced to stay home. Your choices in “Speak” is clearly visible to “Good, Joking, and Aggressive” So the wife is always selecting the Good choices to be nice, instead of like the first one, where it wasn’t clear what you were picking, and you tended to pick more along the way you felt and not the clear answers being right there. Much easier to get your party to like you that way as well! Your Hand is held more through this game then the other one, but that is not necessarily a bad thing, the wife loves it!

You go into Slavery Work, and then BAM a year has passed, and that was basically all you had to do. That part of the story was pretty much not even needed.

Don’t get me wrong, I really am enjoying it, but was hoping for more, not just more difficulty! Hey the developer even admits it was rushed. Sadly I think this is going to happen more and more though!

15. M. K.

@11: Well, what is honest? If you compare DA2 to DA:O, than you could give it 5-6, but if you look at it as an individual title, it deserves something like 7-8 because besides all the flaws it has, it’s still a fun game.

/edit: that’s why metacritic is great. some give it a 9 others a 5 but in the end we get a suited score :)

I guess it’s going to be 7,9 in the end :P

16. yoggesothothe

@14 Hmm, but the dialogue progression isn’t hand holding at all. It’s not Mass Effect to be sure. The icons just tell you what the tone and intent of what you’re going to say is, it doesn’t say anything about morality or how the NPC will respond. Just because you pick the olive branch every time doesn’t actually mean you’re picking the “good” decision, or the one that is most favorable to the NPC. Plus, all the major decisions use the same “exclusive choice” dialogue icon anyway, so it’s not like they give you direction on which to choose.

Morality basically has nothing to do with the icons. It only feels “clear” because you get a clearer picture of what you are going to say than if they just used wording alone (it’s like how the Elcor in ME need to preface everything they say with what their tone is supposed to be). But this has nothing to do with knowing exactly what the NPC is going to say in response. It’s pretty much the same as DAO, just less stupid reloading because you misunderstood the wording of a dialogue choice.

17. guapo

I’ve never been much of an RPG guy. Played the first DA on 360 and I didn’t much care for it. So, when the da2 demo came out I gave it a whirl. After getting used to the mechanics, I found the experience quite enjoyable. Bought the game day one and fell in love with it. i love the background (lore?) and the gameplay is fun and engaging. I can see that people are upset about the streamlining of the combat, but I find the new system more enjoyable. Again, I’ve never been an rpg guy but this game doesn’t feel like most rpg’s. I’m thankful for the changes, if not for them I probably would be missing out on this great experience. I’m even thinking about trying the first one again at some point.

18. Phoenixblight

“Your choices in “Speak” is clearly visible to “Good, Joking, and Aggressive” So the wife is always selecting the Good choices to be nice, instead of like the first one, where it wasn’t clear what you were picking, and you tended to pick more along the way you felt and not the clear answers being right there. ”

Yeah You have 5-6 choices but 2-3 of them went to the same result so Bioware consolidated those type of choices because the overall intention was the same. And maybe you don’t see the complexity of the dialogue system but you pick your characters tone and then what follows is the choice using that tone like being diplomatic and tell the character to go die.
    This system is a lot better than the DAO system especially with the removal of the catatonic character that just stares and shows no emotion whatsoever as a city is being burned. Nothing about that system as been dumbed down, People have had gripes with with the Mass Effect dialog system and Bioware attempted to fix that by showing the intentions and putting a tone system on top of it. I am curious if they will do so with the Mass Effect 3.