BioWare: Fan feedback a big part of Mass Effect

Wednesday, 2nd March 2011 00:01 GMT By Brenna Hillier

BioWare founders Ray Muzyka and Greg Zeshuk have said fan feedback is a very important part of the Mass Effect franchise’s development process.

“We responded to the fan feedback for Mass Effect 2, a lot of that came directly from listening to the fans and trying to address the comments they had to make the game even better,” Muzyka said in an interview with IGN.

“And we’re gonna take all that feedback from Mass Effect 1 and Mass Effect 2 and apply it to Mass Effect 3 … I think the best is yet to come”

“We were actually more than happy to do small directional changes along the way,” Zeshuk chimed in. “As Ray said largely for feedback reasons.

“It’s actually great to get feedback to improve what you’ve made.

“I think we never really had to compromise on anything,” he added.

Zeshuk outlined some expected changes for Mass Effect 3 based on fan responses.

“Some of the elements that we’ve talked about is ‘Hey, look, we’re gonna re-explore some of the whole research and inventory and all that kind of stuff’ … that’s probably one of the areas.

“And hey, I’ll say it for the camera, I love the planet scanning. But apparently other people don’t like it as much. There’s always something to work on.”

As a special, can’t-justify-headlining-this bonus, Muzyka pretty much confirmed again that the series will continue beyond Mass Effect 3, referring to the trilogy as “the initial three games”, and at another point, mentioning all three games by title and adding “and moving on from there”.

Watch the full interview below.

1. Stardog

I couldn’t even complete Mass Effect 2 because of the changes to the shooting system. It made the game so dumb.

I thought the first one was amazing, but ME2 was a major disappointment.

2. Moonwalker1982

That’s cool. Apparently alot of people weren’t happy with how they took out alot of RPG elements in ME2 and are gonna change this for ME3. That must have been because of fan feedback.

3. Aimless

@1 Really? The shooting in the first game was awful, it didn’t start to get fun until you’d sunk a load of points into the relevant weapon skill. ME2 simply skipped the preamble in that regard.

That said the sequel did strip a few too many things out rather than addressing their issues, such as banishing loot by virtue of the first game’s terrible inventory system. I’m hoping they bring back weapon mods for the third game, that way you have a stable of easily differentiated weapons that can also be tweaked to fit the player whilst providing an element of item progression.

4. YoungZer0

@3: Yeah, best example is the Mako. People complained about the controls. Instead of fixing that they cut it out completely and forced us to do that looting.minigame …

Another Thing was the inventory. Again, instead of fixing: Gone.

5. Moonwalker1982

But wasn’t the reason of that , that they simply wanted to make it appeal to a wider audience and decided to take it all out? What looting minigame are you exactly talking about?

6. YoungZer0

@5: The planet scanning.

7. FadeLive

Hopefully this will mean more gear. I found there was pretty much zero stuff to find and collect in Mass Effect 2. Even if most of the guns and armors in Mass Effect 1 looked the same there sure was a lot of them. I loved having my entire team rolling Spectre gear in ME1. Looked so badass lol.

A proper New Game+ would be cool too. I found it annoying having to mine planets for upgrading stuff on the second playthrough when I just want to experience the game and the story again.

8. aleph31

I loved ME, for me it was one of the most immersive games ever.

ME2 was just a very good blockbuster game, not a masterpiece. Great graphics, great action, but several missing points:

– The most important flaw imho was the story: it was very deceiving, just friend-collecting + kill the boss. There was no deepening on the universe mythology, no interesting obscure secret to pursue or find, just keep growing your team, period.

– The inventory was very short on items, making it pointless.

– The Mako should have been improved, not erased from the game.

– Planet scanning was a big failure. For me it was as if I was working, not playing a game.

But at the end of the day, ME2 was a very playable game (exception made on planet scanning, of course), with lots of action and good gaming experience. Just that it was a pity that it became a step back from ME.

Of course, the step-back distance was much lower than in the case of Morrowind vs. Oblivion…

9. thesamy

ME1 left me looking at the screeen statring for 20 min afther it end
    ME2 mehhh great graphic and all but its not batter then 1…
    thay just want to sell more so thay did it easier and more playeable to non RPG guys nothing that we the fans say will matter
    thay got a publisher the publisher say make this action packed and thay do it all bunch of crap.

10. James Mac

Didn’t Christina Norman give a speech at GDC last year, called something like: Dude, where’s my inventory.
    I thought I heard that she’d said something about the obvious absence of it… and their plans to bring it back for ME3.