Apple announces iPad 2, ships in US next week

Wednesday, 2nd March 2011 18:19 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Apple has just announced iPad 2 at its special press event in San Francisco.

The device, shown off by Steve Jobs, will come in all-new design, have rear and front-facing cameras, will ship in white, will still feature 10 hour battery life, is 33 percent thinner and has gone down to 8.8mm in thickness. iPad 2 is also thinner than iPhone 4.

It’ll also come with HDMI out with 1080p support and works with all apps, although will come in peripheral form.

Spec wise, it’ll come with dual-core A5 processors, a CPU up to 2x faster, up to 9x faster graphics, same low power as A4 and is the first dual-core tablet to ship in volume.

It was confirmed at the event, which is actually taking place across the street from GDC, the device will ship in the US beginning next Friday, March 11. It’ll ship in 26 other countries on March 25.

It’ll also maintain the same price structure as it has before, meaning it’ll begin selling from $499.

On the carrier side, models will work with both Verizon and AT&T in the US.

Apple also confirmed that iOS 4.3 will arrive on March 11 for iPad, iPhone and third and fourth-gen iPod Touch.

More over at Engadget and CNET.

1. Erthazus

• Dual-core A5 processor, which is “up to two times faster”.
    • The graphics have been improved too. The GPU goes at nine times the speed as before.
    • Same low power consumption as the A4.
    • Built-in cameras for photos and video: One for frontal FaceTime videoconferencing and one on the back.
    • It also has a built-in gyroscope, like the iPhone 4.
    • They claim the battery life is 10 hours, like before, with a one month stand-by time.

2. Zurtech

… And Ipad 3 releases in 8 months. -_^

3. Erthazus

• HDMI mirrored video output at 1080p Full HD (the cable costs $39).

4. Crysis

How does these specs compare to the NGP? I know almost nothing about cpu processors & shit.

5. Nozz

Looks like the rumour mill had everything covered!

6. KillerDD

Well the NGP supposedly deliveres PS3 like games. But I still find that hard to believe! But if I read the specifications correctly it will be superior to the iPad 2.

7. Crysis

Oh, the Xperia Play will support the Havok physics engine, http://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/33317/GDC_2011_Sony_Ericsson_Announces_Havok_Support_MLG_Sponsorship_for_Xperia_Play.php
    I believe the first one on a phone too, awesome! I honestly love what Sony’s trying here with the Xperia Play & the upcoming PlayStation Suite, they’re proving to me that they’re future proofing, I could imagine dedicated handhelds becoming more redundant over time & Sony seems to have struck gold on where it could be heading.

8. KillerDD

@7 the Experia Play isn’t the NGP! Just keep that in mind! ;)

9. Crysis

@8, Where did I let on that it is? I’m fully aware of the differences…

10. Suikoden Fan

it has the same ram?

11. Gekidami

Any excitment there could be for this is instantly washed away by the fact that in about a year they’ll announce another one, then the year after that another one, then another one, and so on. Each for 500 a pop.

And in the end, it’ll be that which stops it from becoming a serious gaming device.

12. KillerDD

@9 My bad, you asked about the NGP and replied with something about the Xperia Play!

Btw, You hear that noise? That’s the resale value of your original iPad crashing through the floor!

13. Crysis

@11, Won’t stop people from flocking to the shops to buy it… then a year later being the tech whores they are buying another one.
    Have tablets even established what they are yet? They seem like either underpowered computers or oversized smartphones, either way I don’t think anyone really has a true point to justifying owning one.
    I can imagine Tablet PCs eventually replacing laptops, but Window’s needs many mods to make it more UI friendly. Still find it amazing at the lack of Linux tablets floating around (excluding Android as a part of Linux).

14. Gekidami

^ Indeed, and ofcourse Apple know that people buy their stuff because its considered ‘hip’, thats why they release new versions so frequently, because they know people will buy the stuff even if they dont have any real use for it because they already own the last one.

In short: People need to stop being such fucking sheep.

15. earlyrock

@14 What if you genuinely like the Products they produce?

16. DaMan

agreed Geki, same with the tacked on Blu-ray players and overpriced trojan horses. oh well, a brand is a brand, sheep loves that stuff.

17. Gekidami

I find it hard to believe anyone can like their stuff enought to shell out 500 a year + whatever their phones cost (which is nearly just as expensive).

Nice try, but consoles dont come out on a yearly basis unlike Apples stuff (unless a common hardware fault forces people/sheep to keep buying new ones, but lets not name names) so you fail.

18. Crysis

What’s the hdd size & will it natively accept any external storage?
    Considering that they could shove 160gb on the classic iPod i’d find it very disappointing for any tablet in this modern day having anything lower, oddly I don’t think any current tablet has that much storage…

19. DaMan

what, I never said they do. my point still stands, the brand loyalty leads to buying an overpriced largely unnecessary product. people could’ve bought a console for a lesser price and when it gets decent software. some chose not to.

20. Erthazus

I still like XOOM better for browsing the net.
    My only concern that XOOM will have shitty specs compared to this and not so much for games.

21. Gekidami

Yet that was the point of the whole argument. Say, you wouldnt have went completely off topic to -dare i say it- troll, would you?

Oh and, why aim for “decent” when you can have ‘the best’?

22. Crysis

I chose the PS3 because of it’s awesome video/music/picture storage & playback capabilities, the fact that I’d never have to pay to play online again(therefore being cheaper than the 360 after the first one year gold sub) & it’s reliability, wifi was a bonus at the time but no longer needed, overall: I wanted my 360 to do what the PS3 did natively but I’d have to hack to store my videos & (at the time) pay a fuckload for a wireless adapter, the PS3 was the affordable choice, surprised how many people don’t think that way, they just look at the retail price tag & forget about things like Gold sub & shit.

23. Gheritt White

Never buy new tech before version 3. Never ever.

24. DaMan

I went off-topic because dare-i-say, some people can’t see the similarities between things.

what do you mean? that even better software comes out later on? a decent library already justifies spending the money, why wait for another price drop. and if you ‘re saying that one has better offerings than another, then I don’t think there’s a way you could speak for everyone, not even with the help of Metacritic or something.

25. DaMan

Crysis, i know that, i was just drawing analogies between loyal customers. obviously many find iPads useful, seems naive to think that *all* bought it because it’s trendy, right.

26. Crysis

@DaMan, Well I personally don’t see a reason to own one, maybe as a netbook replacement, but not a very effective replacement, so I’d have to assume that *most* will buy it because it’s trendy.

27. DaMan

Crysis, yeah, that’s the point for the most part. why not? you could buy an Apple case if you’re referring to the way this thing is being held. the touch interface is totally plausible for everything except some games, i’d say it might work even better .

similarly, I don’t think the gold subscription wasn’t worth the money up until recently.. heck I bought myself a year of gold for what would be $40, the wi-fi is rather unreliable and laggy.. the rest of the stuff, I dunno why not do all that on your computer or something.

28. Michael O’Connor

Why would you ever want this shut-in piece of crap when you could have one of these instead? http://www.engadget.com/2011/02/13/samsung-galaxy-tab-10-1-official-tegra-2-honeycomb-dual-camer/

29. DaMan

for the same reason you wouldn’t want a Samsung phone. Android ultimately sucks balls, at least for the time being. well, at least I for one among many prefer iOS. and Samsung stuff is often slow and buggy.

30. Crysis

Most people who criticize Android haven’t even tried it recently or at all, personally I find it very similar but I admit that iOS has a better UI but I just don’t want to pay the extra money (& personally hate Apple).

31. Michael O’Connor

@29 I own a Samsung phone. Though the installed firmware was a little laggy, it took me five seconds to root my phone (super safe) and apply a completely legal lagfix, and I haven’t had a single bit of lag since. The latest firmware for my Galaxy S eliminated that problem completely though.

If you want buggy, you need look no further than iOS. God, what a cock up that was. And it took them over two months to fix it.

Whoever told you Android was buggy and slow is talking through your ass. If the software is slow, it’s a bad phone, not the software.

I guess it’s true that someone might not want to use something other than iOS… the sort of person who enjoys a completely locked down device and doesn’t care about versatility, speed, real multitasking, or any sort of genuine customisation.

I had the stock keyboard, picture viewer and music player replaced with vastly superior versions of the stock ones almost as soon as I bought my Galaxy S.

My radio player can run while I’m surfing the net. I can torrent files straight to my phone while playing games. I can replace every single major program on the phone, and the replacement will take over all major functions because programs can actually communicate with each other. The Android system has the fastest web browser on *any* mobile device, fact.

Oh, and best of all… I can actually use my own data storage, instead of having to pay an extra $500 every year for a minuscule amount of extra storage space. The way they price storage space is Apple’s biggest biggest shit on the average consumer, but most customers are too stupid to even realise this.

32. Michael O’Connor

Correction: *iOS4

33. Uncontested

Apple.. lol.. biggest scam out there.. minuscule updates to already inferior products and the fanbois flock like sheep.

34. spiderLAW

Because the average consumer is a lemming.

“Do i want the better Galaxy Tegra2 tab or the inferior iPad? The Galaxy pad is Samsung and the iPad is App…..wait…iPad is Apple…AAPPPLLLEEE!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!! i want iPad” – something like that

35. CastellanSpandrell

Ah fanbois, you’re all cocks.

36. Crysis

@34, Agreed to some extent.

37. Michael O’Connor

This seems appropriate: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bcryQUuDwM

38. theevilaires

Screw Apple and their overpriced garbage I’m buying RIMM’s playbook by Blackberry instead. Also the PSP2 will destroy this…..hopefully :D

39. DaMan

nobody told me anything, Michael, and actually what I said was Samsung stuff being slow and buggy. Galaxy S, a very good example of a bad phone. I don’t know what you’ve run on it, but the graphics performance is lacking compared to SE or other alternatives. it’s Samsung after all.

with Android I was referring to marketplace being a shadow of app store, the support from publishers and the OS being generally a less polished, me-too version of Apple’s. I don’t know what exactly were those issues with iOS you mentioned, or how you find browsing slower. perhaps it has to do with you trying out one of the early versions. and lastly, Java. the fact that you have to use a disastrous native dev kit, and the atrocity that is JNI to squeeze anything close to iPhone from it is depressing.

the so called ‘multi-tasking’ was enabled in the fourth version, besides it’s actually not that great on Android.. it’s completely unintuitive and cumbersome. and it’s not that usable to have the ability to run several guis on a mobile device with a small screen.

btw, a very simple question why does it matter if it’s locked or not software-wise, and even so why can’t you jailbreak it?

40. Crysis

“why does it matter if it’s locked or not software-wise” The age old Windows vs Mac question, Windows all the way (I hate both companies but I prefer Microsft’s product purely for the support)

41. DaMan

why is it an issue to jailbreak the thing?

and just to clarify to Michael: I wasn’t referring to Galaxy S gpu being slow, I was referring to the phone. perhaps it has to do with Samsung ruining the firmware like they always enjoyed doing, (for instance they removed many of the built-in widgets/apps), but there’s no way i would ever choose theirs among all the smartphones available today. I would even go for the Nokia one.

42. ninjanutta

whos slagging samsung?they are light years on most things.tvs for one are far superior to all others.

43. mathare92

@42 [samsung] tvs for one are far superior to all others.

LCD(and LCD’s with LED backlighting) yes, but not one it comes to Plasma. :)

44. mathare92

*when

45. Toastrules

Haha @ all the people who had just bought the iPad last week.

46. bpcgos

Looks like everyone want to be as success as Call Of Duty with annual release! :D

47. aleph31

I don’t know whether Tegra2 is better or worse than A5, but I will opt for a Motorola Xoom anyway, I prefer Android 3.0 over iOS4, and I don’t like the closed-hardware structure (yes, I want USB and jack connectors).