Uncharted film director: Fans have to “trust and let go”

Tuesday, 22nd February 2011 02:37 GMT By Brenna Hillier

David O. Russell, director of the upcoming Uncharted film adaptation, has spoken out on the subject of his relationship to the game and its fans.

“I’m not going to present myself as hardcore,” Russell told SlashFilm. “But I played the game a bunch of times and I also read as much as I could about the game and I met the game’s creator, Amy Hennig, who’s really cool.”

Russell defended his controversial decision to base the film around family relations by citing the differences of the media involved.

“To grow a game into a movie is an interesting proposition because a game is a very different experience than a movie,” he said.

“You guys are playing the game, and it’s about playing the game. It’s not about a narrative embracing you emotionally. You know what I’m saying? So, I want to create a world that is worthy of a really great film”.

The director compared Uncharted fans, notoriously open with their opinions on the film’s plot and casting, to the intense 90′s fandom of Anne Rice.

“As far as I’m concerned, I’m very respectful as far as the core content and sprit of the game, but beyond that it’s my job as a filmmaker to make what I think is going to be an amazing movie,” he argued.

“People have to trust that and let that go, I think.”

Russell produced a fairly inarguable point in support of his decision to wave away fan considerations, too.

“There’s not a bunch of movies you can point to that are made from games that are amazing movies, that stand up to time as a franchise or as [individual films],” he commented.

Thanks, Joystiq.

[image]

1. mathare92

Amy Hennig and the rest of Naughty Dog’s writers will be pleased to hear that, I’m sure.

2. Yoshi

FML!

I have a feeling this will turn out to be like the Farcry film and that was god awful.

3. FrankieDF

I trust your film will be nothing like the franchise that I enjoy.
    I will let go of any interest I had in your film.

4. Elven_Star

“To grow a game into a movie…..”
    wait, wait, wait…..grow?

5. osric90

You fucked it up, David, you’re just another one in the bunch. You lost me and millions of true videogame lovers out there. Fuck you.

@4 Yes, that’s funny… some people just do not realize that in some cases games are just ABOVE movies. There are so many instances right now but I’m not feeling like counting again.

Nah… No matter how cool The Fighter was and even if it had Christian Bale on it, this Uncharted movie is going to be shit. Uwebollian shit.

6. Rosseu

playing the game a bunch of times = played the game 10 times for 5 minutes

7. mathare92

@6 +1

8. Shubb9

“People have to not trust that and not go, I think”
    Fix’d

9. Dannybuoy

We all know this film will be shit. Just how shit is the question and how much damage it does to the Uncharted brand. I am prepared to be proven wrong, but I can;t see it being anywhere near as enjoyable as the games.

10. Gheritt White

YOU SHUT YOUR CUNTING MOUTH!!

11. Freek

Nobody who has played the game would ever dream of saying that. Uncharted’s story and characters are verry strong and emotionally engaging.

Because they were made by weak film makers based on weak franchises. Silent Hill came verry close to being both good and faithfull to the source material.
    But it’s no exuse to butcher Uncharted. It’s storyline is not a cheese fest like Mortal Kombat or Resident Evil.

12. OrbitMonkey

Perversely, when *fans* of particular film/book franchise start getting all psycho over some movie adaptation of their BESTEST STORY EVA!!! The film turns out quite good.

13. Freek

That was probably sarcasm, but yes, the best adaptations manage to be both faithefull to the source material and be good in their own right.
    Batman Begins, LoTR, the recent Marvel films.
    And most of them also had in common that they were made by people with allot of passion for the original franchise.
    Game adaptations have never had that.

14. Telepathic.Geometry

As soon as Marky Mark was cast for the part, I already knew it’d be shite. This just solidifies my belief that making good games into good movies is not gonna happen anytime soon.

15. Thalius

There isnt one good game turn movie not one, because of this movie maker mentallity. Uncharted games have one of the best “hollywood” type stories, its such a action adventure that would need very little change to work in the big screen.
    But with such a narrow mentallity from the director/writer of the movie notting will make sense or be true to the game, much like Max Payne with Marky Mark too. That movie is the perfect example of the piece of shit that Uncharted movie is gonna be.
    Very sad indeed.