Civilization IV, V on sale this weekend on Steam

Friday, 18th February 2011 09:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

It’s the weekend. You deserve a cheap game or two. Steam’s cleared it with [insert authority figure here].

Steam’s putting Civilization IV and V on sale for this weekend only.

The entire Civ V collection, which includes the full game as well as the Colonization, Beyond the Sword and Warlords expansions are all priced together at £3.75.

Civilization V, meanwhile, is at £17.99, down from £27.99.

Get buying, tiger.

1. SLARTIBAF1

You’re missing an I, cause it’s the Civ 4 Complete Pack ;)

And seriously, whats wrong with the currency Converters from steam? 17.99 GBP = 29.99 EUR??

2. Kalain

Love steam. been waiting for them to put a deal on for Civ V for ages..

3. Hakkiz

Nah, 30 eur. It seems to be cheaper on retail… :/

4. Grimrita

Save your cash. Civ 5 is poo.REALLY poo – dreadful AI destroys the game

5. DSB

Civ V isn’t totally poo. Sure, it’s poo in every major way that matters, but there’s definitely the groundwork there for an amazing game.

The most disappointing thing isn’t that it’s horribly broken, but that it’s taking Firaxis so long to either fix the game, or let the community do it for them like they did with Civ IV.

Civ V full of stupid design decisions (like running that goddamn intro instead of a loading screen) and those should really have been recognized as soon as the game hit the general public.

There’s no excuse for not treating yourself to Civ IV with every expansion, though.

6. SLARTIBAF1

@5 Absolutely no arguement here. I’ve played Civ V now for 72h and must say, that there definetly is much room for progress, in any direction! Hopefully the patch comming monday can fix some of the MAJOR frustrations, so my next 72h run can begin. =)

Like every Civ so far, it’s good for a start, and reaches perfection with its Addons. Let’s just hope, these DLC bits don’t distract them from doing one now.

7. Erthazus

CIV 5 just don’t have enough DEPTH in it.

It’s not the design decision problems. These stuff can be fixed by patches. But game is great.

It’s just CIV 5 need more depth in it.

8. OlderGamer

Save your money, buy Civ IV(not Civ V).

And if you already have Civ IV, save your time, you already have the best version of Civ ever made.

If and when Civ V gets fixed, and a couple of good expansions, but the whole thing in a Civ V Gold edition or something. Right now Civ IV is just such a better value.

As for V Steam just patched it for me this am. Has a bunch of AI fixes, but with Rift hitting next week, I doubt I will be sinking too much time into Civ V soon.

9. OlderGamer

*but = buy

10. DSB

Erth, the point of Civilization was always to make a pick-up-and-play strategy game.

It isn’t trying to be a Paradox game, it’s trying to be the opposite, even if Civ V went in the direction of lots more micro management.

I think an overhaul of the diplomacy system has been a long time coming though. Citystates is a good leap forward, but talking to various leaders still makes just as little sense in a diplomatic way as it did in the first game.

11. Grimrita

Civ 5 is my first, and last of the series. A friend of mine warned me about the shoddy AI that dogged the previous versions and I thought to myself – surely they must get it right now, and how wrong was I?

It simply just doesnt stack up, which is a shame. The same can be said for the Total War series – you wait months for them to fix the AI, and in todays world, there isnt any excuse they can throw at you.