Fri, Feb 18, 2011 | 14:43 GMT
Activision “abused” Guitar Hero, there’s “no reason why” it can’t continue, says Summer
Kelly Summer, former CEO of RedOctane, believes there’s still a market for Guitar Hero, a game where everyone can be a rock star in their own living rooms.
Speaking with MCV, Summer said if the franchise had not been “abused,” the cancellation would never have happened.
“It was brilliant,” said Kelly. “Everybody wants to be a rock star and there was nothing on the market like this at the time. Best of all, it involved everybody in the room. It was a great party experience.
“[Activision] tried to get too much out of the franchise too quickly. They abused it. There’s no reason why Guitar Hero cannot continue. It’s a great product. My gut tells me there is still a significant market for Guitar Hero. Not every game can be a billion dollar franchise, but maybe that’s what Activision wants. “I’d be surprised if they sold the brand as it’d prove to the world there is still a market for this product and show them up.
“Look at how Take-Two has handled GTA. They haven’t thrown products out there. They’ve nurtured it for over ten years and it is still a strong franchise.”
Activision announced earlier in the month during a financial call to investors that it had disbanded its Guitar Hero business unit and canceled development on its Guitar Hero game for 2011.
The last DLC pack for the franchise, the February Mega Pack, was released on February 8.