Eternal Darkness concept art shows endings cut from the game

Tuesday, 15th February 2011 14:47 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Some concept art for 2002′s Eternal Darkness has popped up on the Behance Network page of John Dobbie, and it shows several different endings which never made it into the GameCube title.

Eternal Darnkess was about Alexandra Roivas, who while investigating the murder of her grandfather and wandering around his mansion in Rhode Island, she stumbles across a secret room which contains weird items like a book made with human skin and bone called The Tome of Eternal Darkness. Upon reading it, she is thrust into a scene from the life of life of Pious Augustus, a Roman centurion from 26 BC and a servant of “the Ancients.”

As Alexandra looks around the mansion for missing chapters from the Tome she relives the experiences of several individuals who have come into contact with Pious as well as other servants of the Ancients before eventually coming face-to-face with the Tome itself.

The game had four possible endings, and per Dobbie, the former assistant lead artist at Silicon Knights, endings such as a zombie apocalypse, people walking into the giant maw of the god Chattur’gha, and more were cut. Thus, the artwork shown on his page.

If you liked Eternal Darkness, or are just curious, you’ll want to go have a look. There’s also concept art on the page for an untitled game as well.

Thanks, NeoGAF, Joystiq.

1. evilashchris

I’d love a sequel to this, a truly epic game.

2. Blerk

My first ever Gamecube game! And one of the only ones I actually liked. :-|

3. StolenGlory

Quite easily the best thing SK have ever done.

4. StolenGlory

I would literally drown in my own man-product if a HD version of that came out.

5. Fin

I too would do this. Chances are Nintendo owns the IP, unfortunately.

6. Tomo

I never got on with it. It was too easy to maintain your sanity meter or whatever it was, so I never actually had any of the weird happenings happen to me. Add that to the samey enemies whose head you just shot off and it was just plain rubbish. Shame, as it seemed like an amazing and daring concept for a game.

7. KrazyKraut

this is one of my fave game of all time. we played it for the first time last year and gathered all three endings.Great atmosphere, nice graphics (US Prog Scan) and very nice story. This on 3DS an we would buy a unit.

8. DaMan

this one was a gem indeed, fantastic game.

9. silk

Please plug in controller!

lol

Fab game. Needs a HD remake, for sure.