Bilson: New Relic RTS to be announced in August

Tuesday, 15th February 2011 08:08 GMT By Johnny Cullen

THQ Core Games boss Danny Bilson’s confirmed that the new Relic RTS will be announced in August.

Relic Entertainment

Relic was founded in 1997 in Vancouver, Canada by Alex Garden and Luke Moloney.

Its first title, Homeworld, released in September 1999. It’s best known for Dawn of War and Company of Heroes.

THQ bought the studio for $10 million in April 2004.

Website

No more details were dropped than that, though.

He tweeted:

“The big announce for the next Relic RTS should come in August…that’s the plan.”

After being bought by THQ nearly seven years ago, Relic’s since released two Dawn of War titles, both RTS games based on the Warhammer 40K universe.

Four expansions have been released for the series so far, with a fifth for DoW II, Retribution, arriving on March 4 this year.

Relic also made Company of Heroes and Company of Heroes Online, the latter of which was only released in the Far East and will close at the end of March.

Its only entry into console development to date has been third-person WWII action-adventure title The Outfit for Xbox 360.

Bilson’s been on a Twitterton roll as of late, saying last night that the company has a “huge announcement” planned for next month.

He said previously that a “big” Saints Row 3 announcement would be “coming soon.”

1. Crysis

Dawn of War 3? If so I beg you to return to the original formula!
    More likely CoH though, but could possibly be an entirely new IP.

2. Yoshi

I love announcements for announcements *facepalm*

3. NeoSquall

I bet one arm (without specifying who’s providing it, of course) it will be Dawn of War III

4. absolutezero

Homeworld.

Its never going to be Homeworld. It should be though.

5. dirigiblebill

OK, Relic. My first born, your new Homeworld game. Fair trade.

You’re right though, absolute – pigs will fly.

Incidentally, is it too late to say that I love the new site design? Those indented info boxes are gorgeous.

6. m2stech

Homeworld 3 ?
    Come on Relic it’s the perfect time!

7. Hunam

Homeworld or GTFO.

8. LOLshock94

an expansion for DOW2

9. Crysis

I don’t think that’s very likely LOLshock, more likely a direct sequel or a completely different franchise.

10. Crysis

There was 11 months between Soulstorm & DowII, so it’s quite possible that we could see DoWIII next year then.

11. Grimrita

@1 – here is hoping. The original DoW was amazing. If it aint broke, dont fix it although I think it will be a new Company of Heroes esq title

12. DSB

absolutezero +100

Yoshi +100

Personally I’d love to see a new Company of Heroes. Dawn of War was an awesome game, but I don’t remember using my brain all that much to get through it.

13. Crysis

@12, Really? I’ve played it since release & continue to do so & I’m still mediocre at best in a one on one situation in Dawn of War: Soulstorm, requires a lot of forward thinking & quick Keyboard & mouse reactions.
    I tend to win a lot in FFAs though, but normally because i find the weakest link & chop it off early to gain map (& resource) control, but i took a couple month break from playing the game & I’m still playing catch up, used to have a 70% win ratio, now it’s about 50-55%.

14. DSB

Well you’re right about that, but to me that’s a bit different Crysis.

Personally I consider the last two expansions more like addons. I don’t think that campaign part was meant for anyone but the most hardcore Warhammer fans. The difficulty felt split down the middle between ridiculously easy, and outrageously hard, depending on the odds you take on.

I loved the original game and the first expansion, though.

15. draknahr

@ 11 : Soulstorm was developed by Iron Lore not Relic so thats how they managed that short of a time. Personally I don’t think there is any reason to make a DoW3 they have decent enough graphics etc that they will probably just keep making a cpl more DoW2 expansions and make CoH 2.

16. Crysis

@15, It was developed by Relic, Iron Lore assisted.

17. blackdreamhunk

from what I hear pc news it’s going to be a space rts which is so cool

18. NoxNoctisUmbra

Company of Heroes set in modern time?

19. blackdreamhunk

ah no a space rts proof right here

20. Crysis