Namco: Enslaved sales due to going in at “busy holiday season”

Friday, 11th February 2011 08:43 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Namco Bandai marketing VP Carson Choi has said the reason sales for Enslaved: Odyssey to the West aren’t as big as could have been is down to the fact it went on sale in a “busy holiday” period.

Speaking to Siliconera, he said that Namco Bandai will do a much better job in getting games to the market in the future.

“It really didn’t do what we anticipated,” said Choi when asked if it performed as it should have.

“To be perfectly frank, I think as a company prior to us reforming this organization, going to market, I think the game went to market at a very busy season. It launched in the midst of a busy holiday season. Last year, there were like 4000+ games for consoles.

“We didn’t do a good job finding the right time for it because when you look at the quality of the game it speaks for itself. An 80+ rated game is guaranteed a hit. We got DLC that came out that got 10 out of 10.”

Choi added: “Ultimately, I think that game had the quality needed to address the gamers. I think it’s a matter of getting into the market at the right time, which is something you will see us do much better.”

He went further said that there could still be more to see yet on Enslaved.

“I can assure you, a title like Enslaved, and every title we’ve worked on in the past we’re going to re-examine them and say what is the potential for the game? We’ve been doing a lot of studies, consumer engagement, and community engagement… let’s put it this way one of these days stay tuned there will be more news to come.”

Last week, Namco announced sales of the Ninja Theory action title were at 460,000 units. But despite that, Namco UK marketing boss Lee Kirton said that the IP would still have a future.

1. orakaa

I don’t agree on this: sure it was a busy period… but when a game is good, there’s good word of mouth on it.

The demo was utter crap and mostly boring, gameplay-wise, and from what I’ve seen, quite representative of the full game.

2. Goffee

No one is saying Enslaved is awesomely brilliant (it got 80+ metacritic scores on both formats) but it is that rarest of things, an original game in a world of endless sequels.

I brought it (and Vanquish) for that reason and decent reviews – to try something different – and am thoroughly enjoying the experience (yes, its a bit linear – but some games are like that).

If gamers aren’t going to warm to originality and take a punt from time to time, developers will soon stop bothering and gaming will die a FIFA/CoD chart dominated death

3. SplatteredHouse

I am very pleased to see these kind of constructive conclusions being drawn, particularly on Enslaved – surely, a future franchise with great potential – that didn’t have the best of starts. It’s great that they’re not just going to throw it all out. :D

To any who would cite design decisions in the original as causes of future concern, well, the tone of Choi’s comments, particularly about their community and consumer engagement suggest that the identified flaws wouldn’t have escaped the feedback net.

4. orakaa

@2 : I LOVE original games, but to me Enslaved was REALLY generic.

Sure the story was somehow interesting (even if it wasn’t original to anyone familiar with the “Journey to the West” tales) and there was an effort put on cinematic, but I’d rather just watch a short animated movie with all the cutscenes put together (I could have really enjoyed it) than having to deal with the poor and generic gameplay (I took absolutely no pleasure playing this game, I only liked the cutscenes).

5. Dralen

The mechanics, gameplay and story were good but it didn’t have me hooked. That was the only problem I had with the game.

6. pukem0n

sometimes publishers are just stupid…

just like releasing james bond bloodstone the same weeks as black ops or Blur the same time as split/second

just do it Borderlands style, bring out your game when no other title comes out…

7. OlderGamer

The game stinks. I mean alright it wasn’t utter crap, but nothing about made me wanna play it. My two cents of course is that it was just a busy season with other games, it was a busy season with better games.

8. YoungZer0

The game’s great. I really enjoyed it a lot, one of the best games of the year. It being unsuccessful can only be blamed on Namco and their non-existing advertisment for the game.

9. Malmer

The game was seriously lacking in the story department once you left new york. Graphics where nothing spectacular either. An OK game. Nothing more.

10. FrankieDF

And what would they say to explain away Majin and the Forsaken Kingdoms failure?
    They expected that game to sell over a million copies worldwide, and then on launch there was so little interest it had a day one price cut, and proceeded to only sell about 80,000-90,000 units across both platforms
    Would Namco say that that one failed due to a busy holiday season, or would it have to do with Namco Bandai not marketing the game? At all. Whatsoever.

11. MushroomStamp

AGAIN, I totally agree with OG. The game had bad graphics, bad controls, boring gameplay, lame story… just all out piece of crap. Worst game I played last year.