The Darkness 2 to focus more on story, action, have a cel-shaded look

Wednesday, 9th February 2011 18:41 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

Digital Extremes has said The Darkness 2 will focus on both story and action this time out, and will have cel-shaded look to it.

Speaking with Games TM magazine, the game’s lead designer Tom Galt said the team is “carving its own path,” for Darkness 2.

“What Starbreeze did well, in a nutshell, were characters and story,” said Galt. “It’s one of the only games I played where I actually felt an emotional connection. The Jenny death scene was incredible. I think in The Darkness there’s a lot of exploration and walking through New York City, and we felt like, ‘Well that’s cool,’ but we decided to take our game in a different direction and focus more on the action and the story.”

As far as the sequel’s cel-shaded look is concerned, the team is doing this to replicate the look of the Top Cow comics, Galt revealed, while at the same time getting rid of some of the “backtracking subway elements” from the original.

The Darkness 2 was announced yesterday for a fall release on PC, PS3, and Xbox 360.

Via CVG.

1. MacaKixo

you wrote SP3 instead of PS3

2. yacaman

Great game. I will buy it. I supprt great story games.

3. M2Kx

Two points:

1: @Steph – Why the spoiler?

2: @DE – Why Cell Shading? Darkness (1) looks amazing, why not working with the same engine? Kind of excited to see how it’s going to look now.

4. Gekidami

^ She was quoting the guy. And after all of thie time its hardly a spoilers, at this point you’ve either played the game and know, or you’ll never play the game so it dosnt matter.

5. M2Kx

Yeah but she didn’t have to quote the spoiler right? I played this game already several times, but I also think, that there’re also a lot of people who missed this great game and honestly, spoilers are never good :(

6. Isaaclarke37

It’s a cool idea to work with the toon-shading, i just don’t know how will it work out although i loved the old engine it was solid and nice.
    Can’t wait to see how this one work out.

7. loki

Bla bla bla bla
    Darkness will suck anyway, because Digital Extremes make suska games only

8. Stephany Nunneley

@1 Gah! And thanks.

@2 The game has been out for eons. I think the statute of limitations on that is well past it’s time.

9. M2Kx

^ Well then I’m going to be more careful reading your news about games that I didn’t play yet :P

10. Stephany Nunneley

Well, don’t forget – the comic has been around since the 90s. That’s like saying Sue Storm and Reed Richards getting married is a spoiler! :D

11. Gekidami

Yeah, or that it turns out Nicole is actually alive at the end of Dead Space 2.

Oh wait, no its still to soon to say that, whoops…

12. M2Kx

@10: I’m sorry, but here in Germany we’re not that into comics. I didn’t even know that The Darkness is based on a comic, before the game came out :D

@11: That was close, glad that I hate DS :X

13. Gekidami

That bit about DS2 isnt true btw.

14. Xenoliath

Turns out, Darth Vader is Luke Skywalker’s father.
    Whoodathunkit?

15. YoungZer0

@12: Yeah, they are way too expensive here, which is why i download them. Which is why i know about Darkness and it’s story.

16. M2Kx

@13: I already assumed it, you’re not that evil like Steph ;D

@15: No it’s not just about the pricing, it’s also easier to get some mangas than comics in my region :P

17. Gekidami

On a serious note, anyone think we should be able to hide spoilers?

Like:
    Eveyhing here needs to be high lighted to see

Seems like a useful feature to me.

18. Gekidami

^
    The commands didnt show, but it was the HTML arrows:

(spoiler) high light to see (/spoiler)

19. M2Kx

Well, some spoiler, or img tags would be awesome and useful ;)

20. Suikoden Fan

are wqe moaning about spoilers now? well all i can say to that is the age old internet retort

Aeris Dies… oh wait wrong game

21. OrbitMonkey

I really liked the comic book look of Darksiders, which was worked on by well known artist Joe Madureia. If Digital Extremes can top that, I’ll be very interested.

On the subject of spoilers, my mates girlfriend told him the ending of Sixth Sense as they were waiting to see it. He dumped her soon after.

22. Dralen

I really don’t want to sound pessimistic, but I fucking hate cell-shading. Really enjoyed the original game though, so I will definitely try this out.

23. back_up