2K announces The Darkness II for autumn 2011

Tuesday, 8th February 2011 13:09 GMT By Johnny Cullen

2K has announced The Darkness II for an autumn 2011 release for PS3, 360 and PC.

The game will see players reprise the role of Jackie Estacado from the first game, made by Starbreeze. The Swedish developer is not involved this time, however, instead handing off the reins to Toronto-based Digital Extremes.

DE is known for its involvement in the Unreal Tournament series as well as BioShock 2′s development.

It’ll also feature “Quad-Wielding gameplay” where you’ll be able to use your demon arms to “slash, grab, and throw objects and enemies” whilst using firearms.

“The Darkness II is a well of dark and imaginative violence, and it’s a stylized and beautiful nightmare,” said 2K boss Christoph Hartmann.

“The Darkness II continues the 2K Games tradition of delivering quality, innovative games that are filled to the brim with atmosphere and deep storytelling.

“The game takes a unique stance on fighting in the dark versus light. Combined with the arsenal of weapons at Jackie’s disposal and the gruesome attacks of the supernatural Demon Arms and Darkness powers, we’re proud to announce another title that delivers on our core values of creating games for gamers.”

A Darkness sequel involving DE was first mentioned at SDCC in 2009, with Starbreeze telling VG247 it wasn’t involved at the time.

Check out the first screenshot of the game below.

1. daytripper

i thought the first one had some brilliant graphics – art style

2. omekomar

yes yes yes my dream is coming true

3. f1r3storm

omgwtf :D

4. BraveArse

I would be excited but this is the same DE who made Dark Sector… :(

5. StolenGlory

Oh yes, I loved the original! The sequel that I thought would never come – Thank you 2K!

6. M2Kx

finally! but what? Dark Sector? You sure? :(

7. Khakimzhan

Ohhhh – noooooooooo!!!

i was hopping Starbreeze would be involved((( so sad now

8. Erthazus

OW YEEESS!!

9. StolenGlory

Didn’t realise you were a Darkness fan Erth? :D

10. BraveArse

@6 yup – it’s burned in my brain, right next to the director of Pirates of the Caribbean 2 and 3.

11. evilashchris

YESSSSSSSSSSSS!! (maybe)

12. lukemime

Hope it turns out well, the original was great. Just loved using the demon arms to impale thugs :)

13. Len

Really didn’t enjoy the first one after loving the work they (Starbreeze) did on Chronicles Of Riddick.

We’ll keep an eye on it but just not my cup of tea I think…

14. daytripper

anyone have an idea of what starbreeze are working on? i love their engine.

15. M2Kx

@10: Damn :/

But maybe, maybe they realize how awesome the darkness was and going to make an even better game as sequal! Because honestly, Dark Sector sucked :(

16. back_up

first one was medicore hope they make a better map this time

17. Blerk

Rather surprised that the first one was so popular. I’d gotten the impression that everyone thought it was ‘a bit meh’.

18. Hunam

I think DE have a lot of talent that they just haven’t leveraged properly yet. UT3 which was made without them suffered really heavily I felt. I think they had a more hardcore, calming influence on the game which was lost when Epic went gimmick heavy on the third. Bioshock MP was horrid though but that was down to the disgraceful lag rather than anything else. The maps and gameplay were fun enough.

I think that they just need to big given a bit more guidance when making a single player game, hopefully 2K will have a raft of strong producers helping them out to get their SP game on it’s best terms.

19. BraveArse

@18 I agree with you totally – they patently are talented I was a UT fan for long enough and UT3 did suck without them, but so far they haven’t done story at all well imo. And The Darkness is nothing without a well written character.

20. OrbitMonkey

@14 I think Star Breeze are working on a Syndicate remake.
    This quad combat system sounds interesting, though I hope they remove the tedious mechanic of shooting out the lights -_-

21. Callum

Aww I loved shooting out the lights! I liked it even more going into that ‘snake’ mode and crawling around corners to break lights and shit.

I only played it through once…I thought it got a bit weird towards the end…but still an entertaining game well deserving of a sequel.

22. AHA-Lambda

YES!!!! =D

23. DEADEYES

No..no… no.. don’t give this game to DE’s hands! NOOOOOOOOOOOOO….

24. xInFeRnO

I loved the first one. For the love of God don’t screw this up….

25. lucascane

PC Yeah~

26. NeoSquall

Nice news.
    I hope the pc version will get something like a “remastered” (?) version of the first one…

27. Isaaclarke37

I knew it was coming in a way or another.It was just a matter of time, these news made my day.

28. YoungZer0

Need a Trailer. Now.

29. DiodeX

good, the first one was good enough, the WWI parts were very disturing though!, freaked me out a bit!

Prey 2 would be nice as well.