Sony taking an “open stance” with PS Suite expansion to other platforms

Tuesday, 1st February 2011 05:40 GMT By Nathan Grayson

Want to kick back and take a load off with some of your favorite PlayStation classics? Well then, buy an Android phone. (Or, we suppose, a PlayStation.)

Alternatively, if you absolutely must bring your pals Cloud, Crash Bandicoot, and Car From Gran Turismo with you on the bus, you could always wait. But – based on recent comments from SCE CEO Kaz Hirai – you might want to get comfortable.

“We have a completely open stance with carriers and with hand set makers,” Hirai said during a media roundtable following the recent PlayStation Meeting (as translated by Andriasang).

“There are a variety of OSes,” he added. “But we’re focusing first on Android. There’s also Windows, iOS and so forth, but we don’t have the resources to make it compatible with everything from the start.”

For now, the PlayStation Suite’s scope is somewhat limited. It’s kicking off with emulated PS1 games (though the plan is to expand out to become a “hardware-neutral” development platform) and is currently limiting its conquest to Android-based handsets. Hirai, however, mentioned that Android tablets are the next big target, but at the end of the day, it’s all about what people want.

“We’re not ruling out PSS even on products like Sony Internet TV Powered by Google (Google TV) if adoption rate increases, or if it will help push adoption greatly,” he said.

So there you have it. Sony’s brought enough cake for all the kids in the class, but the line goes on for days.

1. KAP

I’d love to play god of war on my ipone.. sony, make it happen.

2. Blerk

Xbox 360? :-D

3. NeoSquall

Good, since I was planning to but an X10 Mini Pro for my next bday :D

4. NeoSquall

*to buy, of course…
    I hope they bring the edit function back soon -_-’

5. earlyrock

iPhone plz!

6. justiceblob

@3 I doubt that little thing will make the cut, its processor isn’t good enough, and the screen too small most things.

7. earlyrock

Its good Sony are going down this route. You’d never see an Xbox app on an iPhone or anything remotely un Microsoft related.

8. Blerk

Well, that’s not quite true. There are already apps to allow you to access your Live account on iPhone.

9. earlyrock

Sure, but I mean official.

10. earlyrock

And they would never be to the level where you could actually play Xbox games on various mobile platforms.

11. justiceblob

@7 there are lots of XBL apps that are endorsed (not created) by MS, and there is an MSN app for iPhone too.

12. Blerk

Well, that might be true. They have made DS games in the past, though.

13. earlyrock

I know, perhaps I should of clarified what I meant more. My point was, I can never see Microsoft creating an official Xbox application that allows you to play Xbox games on iOS, Android etc. I understand why, because that feature is exclusive to WinPhones and they want to sell more of their own devices.

I just dig what Sony are doing with the PS brand these days. I’d love MS to do it with Xbox, then I wouldn’t need a Win Phone :D

14. Razor

Considering Apple just rejected Sony’s Reader app, I doubt the Suite will be allowed on iOS…