Arkham City “five times bigger than Arkham Island”

Tuesday, 1st February 2011 12:03 GMT By Johnny Cullen

Rocksteady boss Sefton Hill has said that the locale footprint of Arkham City in Batman: Akrham City is “five times bigger” than Arkham Asylum’s Arkham Island.

Batman: Arkham City

Arkham City will be published by Warner. Arkham Asylum was published by the now Square Enix-owned Eidos in 2009.

AC’s story revolves around Two-Face trying to kill Catwoman to gain a reputation in the criminal underworld.

Other AC villains include Hugo Strange, Harley Quinn and the Joker.

But in an interview with GameSpot, Hill said that the developer wasn’t going large just for fun.

“The footprint of Arkham City is about five times bigger than Arkham Island, but our primary intention was never to create a bigger gameworld just for the sake of it,” he said.

“In Batman: Arkham Asylum, we really focused our effort on creating an intense, pressure-cooker atmosphere by locking Batman in the madhouse and allowing The Joker to turn up the heat.

“In Arkham City, we want to take that attitude to the next level, so we created an experience in which gamers will have a huge amount of navigational freedom, but they will also feel the extreme pressure of the challenges that they face.

“Players will be able to go anywhere at any time, but will always have a clear idea of where they are needed most”

“Players will be able to go anywhere at any time, but we have made sure that players will always have a very clear idea of where they are needed most if they want to just stick to the core narrative path of the game. Explore the streets of Arkham City, and you will find many side missions, secrets, and street brawls, so players won’t find it difficult to get into some trouble if that’s what they are looking for.”

GS also has a couple of new screens of the game as well as a promo poster of Two-Face. CVG has its own promo poster of other villain Hugo Strange and another new screen.

Batman: Arkham City releases this fall for PS3, 360 and PC.

1. Hunam

I just hope the stunning level of detail in Arkham Asylum is still kept whilst being 5 times larger this outing. I love all the little details that held clues for the riddler challenges but if the city is going to look less unique then I’d rather have a smaller area. It was the little details that made that game great.

2. Joe Anderson

Really looking forward to this game. :)

3. SpaceGoat

Agree with #1, was the little things that kept me playing instead of just ploughing through the [linear] storyline.

4. Patrick Garratt

Check Johnny’s boxout. I think he just had a little wee.

5. Blerk

@1, quite. If you think about it, the original was actually quite modest in size, but it never felt like it when you were actually playing. It was almost Metroid-like in the way it encouraged you to backtrack to pick missed stuff using new skills, too – I loved that. A bigger city is all well and good providing it doesn’t compromise that. Willing to give these guys the benefit of the doubt for now, though – I loved the first one to bits.

6. Callum

@5 indeed, I think they deserve a bit of trust due to how well they did the last game. Pretty much that same team of people isn’t it?

7. mojo

just playing island atm.
    looking forward to city.

“to backtrack to pick missed stuff using new skills, too – I loved that”
    i generaly dont understand the fuzz about backtracking and whats so wrong about it.
    I dont see whats wrong with it if its done properly and not solely for money saving reasons.

8. Hunam

Woah, those two boxouts really cut that text in half :S

9. Patrick Garratt

I’ve fiddled with it.

10. Blerk

And the boxouts? :-D

11. KAP

Good news. @1 agree.

12. Patrick Garratt

badum :)

13. Redh3lix

Ohh nice, looking forward to this game!

14. Moonwalker1982

First time logging into VG247 today, and wow guys, great new site. I had copy and pasted the password and it worked without any problems, finally. Kudos!!!!

15. Detale

I’m quite looking forward to stalking the rooftops of the city punching unsuspecting thugs in the face, but I’m hoping they don’t sacrifice the brilliant story focused gameplay of the original. I really enjoyed inFamous and felt that it balanced the story & side missions very well, hopefully this will manage it in a similar manner.

16. back_up

new design is better just through PC gamers out of here
    so that they can cry
    crying is in blood of pc gamrs :lol:

17. Rain

I am looking forward to this.I just hope that they bring a great story.

18. joshua nash

all that exploration, all those places to hide and watch as i scare the batcrap out all those thugs whilst i mentally fuck with them by stealthly taking them out one by one for the shadows, looks like in going to be laughing like the joker when this game comes out

19. blackdreamhunk

do you get to drive the batmobile? also can pc gamers get mod support?

20. Detale

I think they’ve already said there won’t be any vehicles in the game. It’s listed under the useful ‘Related Posts’ link below the article.

21. Blerk

They did indeed confirm that. Much to my relief.

22. Xenoliath

I was quite happy with the size of Arkham Island. Whilst a much bigger space is better to add in more exploration, I hope that there will be plenty of side quests and excuses to visit these areas, rather than just deliberately making it better to make an “improvement” over the original.

23. SuperCrazyLeprechaun

I hope when the game is finished the place isnt empty like the last game because there is nothing to break up the exploring parts then.

24. Heinekeno

“gamers will have a huge amount of navigational freedom”
    GTA Batman?! Ok i want to hijack other transport than just Batmobile.

25. Isaaclarke37

First i need gameplay
    Second i need a release date.