Sony “decided to forgo 3D” on PSP2 “for the time being”, wont “go off the deep end” with pricing, says Hirai

Friday, 28th January 2011 13:36 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ngp

SCEI head Kaz Hirai has told PC World in Tokyo that Sony did think of adding 3D for PSP2, but it chose to “forgo it for the time being”.

“We looked at the possibility of doing 3D on the NGP,” he said to the site, mentioning that discussions with publishers turned Sony off the feature for the handheld.

“We decided to forgo 3D, at least for the time being.”

Hirai’s quotes bring up comments of SCEE 3D boss Mick Hocking telling VG247 that the focus on 3D in the PlayStation group was on PS3.

“Our focus at the moment is really on living room-based, big-screen TV, because we think that’s the most imersive 3D experience you can have,” he told us, speaking in Cologne at gamescom last August when asked if we could expect a PSP 3D in the future.

“In the future, we may look at other ways of doing it, but at the moment, that’s certainly our focus: the high-quality entertainment on your TV.”

Pricing won’t be in “the deep end”

Hirai also said that it won’t “go off the deep end” in regards to pricing for PSP2.

The device, announced yesterday and codenamed NGP, has previously been said to be “affordable”, according to comments from SCEE boss Andy House.

Shuhei Yoshida, SCE WWS head, further added it would not cost 599 US dollars. But Hirai played it safe none the less.

“That’s something we spent a lot of time on this time around with NGP, to make sure that we don’t go off the deep end,” he told the site following NGP’s unveiling yesterday.

Nonetheless, somewhere in our mind, we still expect something like this to happen come E3.

PSP2 launches in Japan this year. A global launch is set to be “unlikely” according to SCEA CEO Jack Tretton.

1. Razor

Sony’s E3 2006.

Still epic.

2. hitnrun

^Amen.

And good for Sony, I guess. They get crap all the time for blowing the tech/price curve past, ah, the point of optimal consumer interest. If skipping 3D keeps the PSP2NGPWTF under $300, they deserve credit.

3. theevilaires

The back of the unit is so sexy.

4. Crysis

Hmm, well as long as it keeps the price down, the tech behind it is impressive & who knows how much the 3D would add, maybe another model down the line, but I’d rather the launch model be as cheap as Sony can make it.

As long as Sony can keep it below $400 AUD, I’ll definitely buy, I personally hope it’s not region locked so i can buy an American console. Even including postage i would likely save $50+.

5. Razor

If Sony could get the model sans 3G in at $249 and the fully stocked model at $299 then I think they’ll be onto something.

It’s quite obviously not coming in at under $249 in any event.

Same for the UK really, around £200 for base model and around £230 for fully loaded model and it could very well work out for Sony.

6. Robo_1

The phrasing is rather telling. That he says, “for the time being” indicates that a 3D enabled lite version has already been discussed.

7. frostquake

Also those cute little Sony icons on its rear, just made its rear even more sexier..LOL

8. theevilaires

@7 I know right lol I’m such a little girl at a Backstreet boys concert for small details like that :D Thats a touch of grace for the unit.

9. Crysis

Hmm, wonder if those “cute little Sony icons on its rear” will be on the final design.

10. theevilaires

I don’t think this is the final design at all. It could use some trimming for sure but the prototype is still sexy.

remember this cutie

11. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Absolute highest I’d pay for this is $300USD. Only reason I’m even going THAT high is cause of:

1. Backwards compatibility (all my psp games are now digital)

2. Uncharted demo/video blew me away. If it’s got new Uncharted, I have to have it.

3. MGS and all the other 3rd party devs on board.

4. Impressive specs

5. Looks sexy

6. I’m a gaming addict

12. G1GAHURTZ

Yes indeed, lets hope that they’ve learned the lessons of the PS3 launch.

If they did, then surely they won’t do a number of things.

They won’t slowly, but surely remove feature after feature, claiming that they’re not really necessary anyway.

(I’d still like to get my hands on a PS3 with two HDMI ports and a built in wifi router…)

They also won’t make two versions. A ridiculously overpriced, fully featured one and a gimped slightly less expensive one.

Surely, they won’t do either of these things.

13. Callum

Hmm. I can’t afford this and a 3DS….damnit!

It’s like choosing which child should get sold to the salt mine!

14. hitnrun

@13: Heh, reminds me of this.

Actually though, the 3DS is out in two months and the PSPC4AK47 isn’t out until next year according to this story, so you have some time if you want both. It’s not like there are any consoles coming for a while.

15. onlineatron

Pricing is a tricky one.

£250 seems more than reasonable for what’s in the device, but it’s at the same RRP as the PS3, which becomes an issue: Do you buy a NGP or fully-fledged console?

Anymore than £300 is WAY too much.

16. TheWulf

I’ve no interest in 3D. My eyes aren’t the greatest, so I find it an excessive strain. And I’ve no interest in 3G, either, for reasons which are entirely my own.

So! That might drop the price enough for me, maybe even enough to make this attractive versus an iPad. It all depends on the game line-up, really.

We’ll see, Sony. We’ll see.

17. MisterDog