PSP2 pricing to be “affordable,” says House

Thursday, 27th January 2011 13:17 GMT By Johnny Cullen

psp2

SCEE boss Andy House has told EG that the pricing for PSP2, or NGP, will be one that’s “affordable”.

“I can’t put a ballpark on it in terms of figures, but what I would say is that we will shoot for an affordable price that’s appropriate for the handheld gaming space,” he told the site at the Tokyo debut of the handheld this morning.

It’s been claimed that Sony is set to make a loss on the device, but House says that’s not the message being it’s trying to deliver.

“Really we would want to have our hardware be profitable, in addition to our software,” House said. “We’ve experienced both sides and we know which one we like to be on!”

PSP2 is set for release by this christmas in Japan at least.

[Pic]

1. Erthazus

I want that shit…

But i’m not so sure about “affordable” price. For Sony “everything” is affordable.

2. frostquake

Please be $299 to $349!!! PLEASE!!! Gaming Gods Answer My Prayers…I will sacrifice OlderGamers Zen Pinball 2 Scores for you, I promise! xD

3. Johnny Cullen

£299. Say those numbers in Cologne (or LA) and you have me. You had me at how impressive it was this morning.

But just say it’s £299. £299 – £350 tops – and you have a buy.

4. ianbenoir

will it support 3D gamming like 3DS?

5. earlyrock

@4, No but PS3 does ;)

I’ll happily pay £300. More than the 3DS, but this offers more.

6. McLovin85

Affordable is all relative.

What is affordable for Bill Gates might not be so affordable for Mr. Average Joe.

PSP2 – It Only Does Affordable! :)

7. Robo_1

I think the sweet spot for this at launch is going to be $299/£250. Personally I’d stretch to £300, but I’d hope that would come bundled with a game.

A lot of very impressive tech is being packed into PSP2, so it’s fair that it carries a premium price. If they’re smart however, they’ll introduce a Playstation Plus way of subsidising the cost.

8. Erthazus

If this thing is not more then 300 GBP then i will buy.

9. earlyrock

@7 Or, they could be extremely smart and make a lot of people happy by banging all the 3G charges and other online stuff under users current PS+ subs. So a cross platform subscription for PS3 and this thing. Would be smart.

10. Dralen

I think I would buy this what-ever the price. Looks awesome!

11. Dannybuoy

Affordable is a subjective word. My affordable might be different from yours. I’d say £300 would be affordable, but I don’t think I’d bite if it was £300. If it managed to retail for £249.99 then I think it would seem much more affordable. It is a rather impressive beast though so maybe £300 min is likely.

12. The_Red

Even 300 would be too much. Seriously, this is a handheld device. Just because 3DS is 250, doesn’t mean it has to be be 300 or higher.
    250 is too much for 3DS and so is 300 and anything more for PSP2.

13. HauntaVirus

I think it would be smart for them to offer it at $249.99. This would make quite a few more people interested in the idea of actually buying one. Day 1 buy for me.

14. Gama_888

i kinda agree with that
    to me a handheld console shouldnt be more expensive than its counterpart home console.
    but this is a very nice machine and i would be very suprised if it was less then £300
    which seems strange when you can pick up a ps3 for £250 :-/

15. Suikoden Fan

i expect £300 but the software at £40 a pop, software needs to be 30 or less tbh

16. KL

WOW people really are cheap.
    a new piece of hardware which is supposed to be the next generation in handheld gaming while at the same time may be on par with this generation’s home console capabilities and people expect them to give it away for “free”?

17. Blerk

Don’t you all still have your second jobs that you took to afford a PS3 at launch? :-D

18. Dannybuoy

@14. Yeah but think of all the work they’ve had to do to shrink a home console into a handheld. They must have some pricey components in there.

19. Dr.Ghettoblaster

It’s pretty simple folks.

It’s HAS to cost less then it’s big brother (PS3) so it’s going to be $249 USD.

There’s NO WAY they can get away with pricing it identical OR MORE than it’s bigger brother console which is $299.

Fuck.

At $250, I’m going to have to have this. At $300, fuck off Sony, i can wait.

20. Crysis

I think that it’ll be in between $350 & $450 AUD which will be quite hard to afford, but i’ll get it regardless, I’m only an early adopter in hardware that I’m certain will be good.
    Also good to know that the press seems to be almost universally positive about it.

21. chipvideo

It cant be any higher than $249. The PS3 is rumored to have a price cut this year and $249 would likely be the price of PS3. Anything higher than the PS3 price point would be massive failure IMO.

22. Shaz37k