LittleBigPlanet 2 online users “massively outstrip” original

Sunday, 23rd January 2011 21:45 GMT By Brenna Hillier

20110124littlebigplanet2

Media Molecule co-founder David Smith has said that even before it completed global launch, LittleBigPlanet 2 left its precursor in the dust in terms of online users.

“The user count is actually quite crazy – we’ve already massively outstripped our LBP1 record for total users online at once,” Smith told Eurogamer. “And that’s just with North America and a few other territories.”

While Smith was unable to give hard numbers, he did confirm the original game’s online user base has continued to grow after topping 2 million online users within four months of release, and shows no signs of stopping.

“LittleBigPlanet 1 does have this huge lifecycle and the concurrent play-count is just continually increasing. You expect these things to spike and then boil down to almost nothing, but it’s been quite the reverse,” he said.

Thanks, That Video Game Blog.

1. Michael O’Connor

If you don’t own this game, you should be ashamed to call yourself a gamer. This game right here is innovation in its purest form.

2. pukem0n

i guess all the hackers go online with their “free” version…

3. Moonwalker1982

Sorry but i disagree Michael. I bought the first one and tried to enjoy it, and while i did..i also put the game away pretty soon and never played it much again. I agree that the game is innovative, but that doesn’t mean it’s practically mandatory to own it, or else you can’t consider yourself a gamer.

The game is great for people who want to create stuff of their own, but i have never been much of a fan of creating own levels and what not. I have so much other games to play and things to do, i just don’t have the time and will to do all that in LBP1 or 2.

4. Hybridpsycho

Playing Co-op 2-4 players in this game, especially with friends gets you more hours of entertainment than most other games :)
    You don’t need to create stuff, in the exact same way you don’t need to create custom maps in Starcraft 2 just because you play them. But seeing that other players want to create stuff you will always have more content to try out :)

5. AHA-Lambda

yea i agree with @3 calm down a wee bit michael

6. Moonwalker1982

Well, i only have LBP1. But next week i’m gonna play some co-op with a friend and then we’ll see. :)

7. Psychotext

What #3 said, though I’ll probably be getting LBP2 at some point because I know it’s one of the games the missus will happily play co-op with me on.

8. kupocake

So basically, if we don’t own a PS3, we’re not real gamers. My how times have changed. It turns out that the reason that the PS3 has no games, is because they all ended up in Little Big Planet 2!

9. NoxNoctisUmbra

@8, I think all real gamers own Xbox and PS3, either way @1 comment’s was a point that LBP2 is a true gamers game.

10. TheWulf

@9: Indeed.

It’s surprising how many missed that. And this from a PC gamer. I’m actually tempted to dust off the PS3 for this, maybe. Well, that’s a fib, I still use the PS3 for BluRay films, but I haven’t used it for gaming in forever.

This… looks like a worthwhile excuse. And escapism, innovation, and things of the sort are pretty nice things to have in a game. I value them, personally.

11. Kuwabara

@8, ARE YOU FUCKING KIDDING ME?? ps3 has no games.. lol. Has anything other than gears been or halo been released on the xbox 360 in the last 4 years?? i mean besides the shitty failure rate and shit first party exclusives, and every exclusive being on pc, where the fuck are the games? hell my xbox has been collecting dust since i upgraded my pc. Youve got to be stupid to own both a pc and xbox. The only great game xbox has that the ps3 doesnt have is mass effect 1, the rest are short 5 hr games no where near being great, and about xbox live and party chat, you must enjoy listening to the millions of annoying idiots, for $60, lol. Oh and party chat, it makes sense to me now, see because the games the majority of xbox 360 games are shit, and the line up this yr is a fucking joke, so u need party chat to talk to ur mates while playing single player games, because there aren’t any games to keep one person engaged in the single player experience!!

12. Blerk

I still find that I like the idea of LBP a lot more than I actually like the reality. It’s obviously blisteringly top-notch, but it just doesn’t push my buttons.

13. Michael O’Connor

Thanks for that @9 It never ceases to amaze me how defensive and territorial people get about even the slightest remark

But yes, this game is the epitome of the hobby. If you’re unable of appreciate what it can do, that only shows a lack of imagination on your part. That’s your problem, not Media Molecule’s.

I can’t make levels at all – I don’t have the time to more than anything else, but I can still appreciate what it’s capable of. There’s nothing like logging onon to the gaming and discovering levels that that outstrip the imagination of even Media Molecule.

For any of you that do play it, do a search for a game called “Vile Anchorage”. You won’t be disappointed.

14. Detale

Still haven’t got my copy, won’t be playing until the end of the week but I’ve started queuing up levels using the lbp.me website, which is another great addition to the experience.