Google pulls Kongregate Arcade from Android Market

Wednesday, 19th January 2011 06:41 GMT By Brenna Hillier

20110119kongregate

Kongregate Arcade, the app version of the flash gaming website, has released on the Android Market, and – wait, no. It’s gone, removed by Google for “unknown reasons”.

Kongregate told Joystiq the app had been “enthusiastically received”, was rated at four and a half out of five stars, and was downloaded “tens of thousands” of times before Google pulled the application without explanation.

The app aimed to solve a “game discovery problem” on the Android platform by providing a huge catalogue of over 300 titles along with various social and community features.

Kongregate is apparently in negotiation with Google to have the app restored, but in the meantime, it’s still available directly from Kongregate’s main site, and requires Flash 10.1 and Android Froyo or higher.

1. Erroneus

Maybe because it was FC’ing like crazy for a lot of people.

2. Blerk

My friend in the office has this on his phone, it’s really neat! Haven’t heard him complaining about any problems.

3. mingtons ghost

Does that mean you get to play all these flash games for free? As most of these free flash games get turned into paid for apps, like fragger and canabalt

4. Blerk

I don’t think you get to play all of them, as most are designed for mouse and keyboard. I think it just gives you ones which have been specifically tweaked for touchscreen use. They are loads of them and they are all free, though – that might be the real reason why Google’s cross.

5. El_MUERkO

I doubt it, they offer thousands of free games on the Marketplace. I have a fair few on my phone.