PlayStation Network users reach 60 million

Thursday, 6th January 2011 04:47 GMT By Brenna Hillier

psnlogo2

Sony used the opportunity of a captive CES 2011 audience to announce that PlayStation Network sign-ups to date have reached the 60 million mark.

At last year’s CES, Sony confirmed a total of 38 million PSN accounts, and celebrated June 2010 by passing the 50 million milestone, which suggests steady growth.

By comparison, Microsoft revealed Xbox LIVE users had reached 30 million at its own press event an hour or so later.

Sony’s chairman, president and CEO Sir Howard Stringer made the announcement during the company’s press conference, tying into the theme of “connectivity” running through the entire presentation; apparently Sony is doggedly pursuing its goal of connecting all entertainment devices to a single, multi-purpose entertainment network.

1. Razor

This is getting old. Everyone has at least three or four. Give us the actual numbers, Sony.

2. mojo

surely the gt5 birthday glöitch pushed that number a little bit :D
    Not that it makes that much difference, but i guess sony registered a peak of newly registered accounts on allready existing consoles.

3. xRayman

Hmmmm Microsoft got pwnd much :D?

4. Gadzooks!

I had 3 PSN accounts before I even had a PS3!

5. KAP

Let’s say on “average” every PSN user has 2 accounts it still trumps Xbox Live in numbers. I have loads of people on my friendslist who don’t even know the benefits of having another PSN account.
    You can argue that a free service such as PSN should have triple the numbers compared to LIVE but the fact that there are more xboxs out there then sonys console shows that the service is growing hugely!

Well done Sony, even though usually I hate there ass. I just hope now they have these numbers of users they should build a wafoist us to feel connected (home doesn’t count)

6. Blerk

Don’t forget that PSN covers multiple consoles, not just one.

7. OlderGamer

Call it what ye will, but I bet many of these PSN accounts are PSP only users in JP/asia.

And call me out of touch, but why would I want multiple PSN accounts?

Also I wonder if behind closed doors, does Sony kick itself for not having a mandatory sub fee for PSN use, even if only a fraction of LIVES cost. In therory, 60million x 10 or 15 usd a year = a lot of lost revenue.

“Your posting comments too quickly. Slow down.”

8. Psychotext

“And call me out of touch, but why would I want multiple PSN accounts?”

Different content on different marketplaces. I have three, Japan, UK, US.

9. Robo_1

Whilst the figures are no doubt inflated, I do think gamers overestimate just how many people have multiple accounts. Your average guy is going to buy his console and register an account.

Hell, I’ve got something like 50 PS3 games and I haven’t bothered with more than two.

10. OlderGamer

Oh I see. Makes sense. I guess maybe I am spolied living in NA. I don’t feel cheated by what other regions get.

I did used to import JP games a lot in days gone by. But I stopped that when Dreamcast died down. Now what JP offers I don’t really feel compeled to buy.

11. Blerk

I’ve got two PSN accounts and two XBL accounts. It’d be more interesting for them both to tell us how many active accounts there are – i.e. ones where someone has actually logged in and used them sometime in the last month.

12. mingtons ghost

@11 oh yeah, counting gold accounts would give a fair account of Xbots

but i’ve got 4 psn accounts….and only one gets used

13. Jan

11 Blerk: +1, same thing I been thinking.

14. earlyrock

I remember having like 2 or 3 when I first got a PS3. A UK one, US and a Japanese one purely because some of the international stores had better content at times.

Now the UK Store has come on so much, I rarely use them.

15. Quiiick

@ mingtons ghost
    Yes, but Microsoft will NEVER publish the actual number of gold accounts, just like they will never ever release the number of RRoDs.

16. Blerk

Didn’t they say just the other week that it was just over (or under) half? I can’t remember now.

17. lexph3re

They released a while ago that xbl has 12mil gold accounts and 25mil combined.

18. Cort

He said PSN accounts, not PS3 accounts.

Many PSP owners have PSN accounts (60m+ PSPs now sold) and even some PS2 owners too. My own PSN account was created when I was still only using the latter.

19. theevilaires