Stardock hires Civ V’s lead designer Jon Shafer to work on Elemental

Tuesday, 4th January 2011 22:02 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

jonschafer

Stardock has revealed that it’s hired Civilization V lead designer Jon Shafer to design and implement mod support for Elemental.

Revealed exclusively to BigDownload in a phone interview earlier today, Stardock told the site that “at some point in the future”, Shafer will also be leading his own team on an unannounced project.

Shafer said he departed Civ developer Firaxis Games on good terms, and took a position at Stardock in part because he was a fan of the developer.

He also said in a phone interview with the site he wanted to work with a company which provides the “freedom to make the kinds of games he wanted to make”.

Shafer was unable to provide additional information on this future projects, as his new employer was currently “concentrating its efforts on updating Elemental” as well as ironing out the release of at least two expansion packs for the strategy game.

1. OlderGamer

My god Civ V is a mess, good riddence.

2. Erthazus

It’s not a mess OG. After few patches it’s good.

It’s just engine is that… How it is…

3. OlderGamer

I have high hopes for it, I keep reminding myself that I am comparing a final Civ IV with all of its expansions to a newly released Civ V. But at this point I enjoy Civ IV(hell even Civ Rev) more then I do Civ V.

4. MegaGeek1

Quite the flattering picture.

5. Grimrita

CIV 5 IS a mess. Its my first and last Civ title! The AI is shocking. Only a steaming pile of shit can -

Ask you to declare war on a neighbour
    You agree
    Then they denounce you the second after you agree.

Stupid, stupid, stupid game. And Stardock will be shooting themselves in the foot hiring this pratt.

6. ShakaCarnage

Actually, Jon is a fantastic guy, having worked his way from the MOD community, through to heading up Civ V. He worked on Civ III – IV, so isn’t a stranger to success. (I can say he’s a fantastic guy, because I spent a large amount of time with him last year).

I’ve no doubt he’ll be great at Starcdock.