UK PS3s getting ITV and C4 streaming this week

Monday, 13th December 2010 09:08 GMT By Patrick Garratt

c4logo

British PlayStation 3 users are to be granted on-demand viewing of both ITV and Channel 4 this week, The Guardian reports.

The new services will arrive in the form of the The ITV Player and Channel 4′s 4oD system.

The moves follows the inclusion of the BBC iPlayer on PS3 earlier this year.

Sony estimates that there are about 4 million PS3s in the UK, and that about 80% of owners are connected to PSN.

Alan Duncan, the marketing director for PlayStation in Britain, said ITV and Channel 4 could expect an incremental increase in traffic of about 10 percent from users watching shows via PlayStation hardware.

Sarah Rose, director of commercial business development at Channel 4, said the time was right to partner with a console-maker.

“They are much bigger now and moving into the entertainment space, plus it sits well with our 16 to 34-year-old audience strengths,” Rose said.

She played down concerns that the PS3 deal might cannibalise traffic from 4oD, which is already available on Channel4.com.

“Are we taking youth away from our own platform? I don’t think we are. The audience are moving around and so are we.”

1. Blerk

If I was buying a console today, ITV support would be enough to swing it for me. To the Xbox 360, that is. :-D

2. tenthousandgothsonacid

Kind of ironic given the 360 is the chav console of choice.

Still 4od on ps3 will be ace :)

3. Callum

The list of reasons to buy a PS3 are getting longer. I hope a decent bundle comes out with the ICO collection!!

4. onlineatron

Are they apps or browser windows?

Either way, 4OD is a massive win.

Don’t look for me this week, I’ll be too busy watching all series of the IT Crowd, Garth Marenghi’s Darkplace and Peep Show :D

5. WizardWeb

Looking forward to 4OD being on PS3 but why would anyone want to watch an ITV programme in the first place, let alone again….?

And where’s Demand Five?

6. onlineatron

You’re off by one generation: http://bit.ly/guikpU

7. KAP

I loved this snippet in the report of the gaurdian:

“Rose said Channel 4 was “not saying no” to a tie-up with Microsoft’s Xbox, which only carries TV shows from BSkyB’s SkyPlayer on its subscription package. But she said Microsoft was “not coming to our door” actively looking for deals with other TV companies. And the other main games console player, Nintendo Wii, which only has the BBC iPlayer, is unlikely to be a partner any time soon because it does not have the facility to carry advertising, she said.”

PS3, or should i say Sony are really doing well to turn their console into a system EVERYONE can enjoy and at a cost of not pissing people off.. I really hope PS3 comes on top this year. 4OD will be epic.. i cant wait this wednesday!

8. Kuwabara

im just glad sony hasnt forgot about what their console is primarily for. GAMING. :)

9. onlineatron

If that’s sarcasm I direct you to their 2011 line-up.

If it’s not, then I apologise for being a tool :D

10. hjyu38

Wonderful.

Share a website with you ,

put this url in google sirch

(http://www.aamall.us )

Believe you will love it.

We accept any form of payment

11. evilashchris

Brilliant, can’t wait for this, I hate watching telly on my work monitor. I like to be comfortable when I watch my Harvey jokes.

12. BeLGaRaTh

WHy would any one want to watch TV on their console? Thats what we have PC’s for, if anyone is desperate enough to watch any of the crap on the terrestrial channels again.

13. gomersoul

maybe because you can sit on your sofa and enjoy programmes you missed on your 50 inch flat screen instead of on your crappy computer stool and 15 inch monitor, served

14. Razor

Not bad. I often forget to watch TV Burp, so being able to watch on the TV will be cool.

15. cookiejar

Yeah I always watch TV on the PS3 and 360. 360 gets a lot of Sky Player use, and I watch my Lovefilm stuff on the PS3. Much better than a PC.

16. TheWulf

You’re an ignorant, clueless little toerag, aren’cha? :p Every PC graphics card these days comes equipped with a HDMI output.

So one could watch things on their 3D capable plasma telly via their PC, if one so desired. (Not to mention that the PC obviously still outdoes everything in the graphics department too, so you get that plus the sofa.)

15in monitor and stool? Where are you living, the early 90′s? Under a rock? In a cave? Are untied shoelaces still cool to you? I’d say so, hence your skewed view of precisely what is capable of what.

Now then, what was that about being served?

17. gomersoul

you got me, wow… wasn’t planning on the daggers! :)

18. The_Deleted

As long as it runs better than the BBC iPlayer. That ones piss poor. 4OD will be great. As long as all the options you get on the PC are there. Classic Father Ted galore!!!

ITV can eat a bowl of dick, though. Celebrity Juice is supposedly very funny.

19. AHA-Lambda

father ted online for free on my ps3?

DAY ONE!

20. varsas

@16: How many people have their PC in their living room?

@18: iPlayer runs perfectly for me; slow internet connection?