SOE considering a “Cataclysm ” of its own for EverQuest II

Friday, 3rd December 2010 21:00 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

eqii

John Smedley, president of Sony Online Entertainment, has said the developers of EverQuest II have been considering a a game-wide reset for the game for quite some time now.

Speaking in and interview with Kotaku, Smedley said what Blizzard is doing with WoW and Cataclysm is like hitting a “reset button”.

“We are looking at it closely, we have been for a number of years now,” he said. “Is it something we would do within the next expansion cycle? Probably not. But I think it’s interesting.

“I think World of Warcraft is looking great. I think it’s going to bring a lot of people back into the game; they hit the reset button. We have five years of World of Warcraft experience behind us to know that people that play EverQuest II don’t play World of Warcraft. We don’t see big dips in concurrency. We see a tiny drop for awhile.

“The reason I respect Blizzard so much is that they don’t make massive mistakes. They have the goods and they know it. So why not take a risk like that?

“We’ve been reluctant to do that in the past but the size of their user base means that more risk could make their game potentially larger.”

EverQuest II was released in November 2004.

1. Hunam

I dunno if they can pull it off. For one EQ’s content probably swings more towards expansion than base content with it’s 11 expansions/adventure packs, so the base content is going to be a drop of water in the ocean these days. Warcraft is mostly the base content quest wise, with the expansions being mostly endgame stuff, so Blizzard made it easy on themselves anyway.

2. DSB

That guy actually makes sense. Did someone forget to implant him with a PR chip?

Really though, I couldn’t care less what SOE does unless it has to do with Planetside 2.

3. OlderGamer

And because EQII is so crafter/house/guild hall/guild dynamic structured it would be very tough. Sometimes I swaer I am not playing an MMORPG and instead more of a crafting simulation. They have people that will spend days a week gathering and crafting decorations for their houses and then entering them into contests for in game prizes. Kind of scary to be honest.

The game is just a different kind of experience and is focused on different things.

Wow is 100% about end game. And reworking and retooling that experience. EQII is much more about expanding the game world and its content rather then repackaging it.

Pretty different experiences imo.

I have tinkered with the 7 free days pass Blizz handed out.

I will not be getting the Cati expac. I like many of the Cati changes(and in truth it might be the best building experience to date for the game), but with only a few new instances and 5 new levels it simply isn’t enough to justify the 40usd for Cati and another 16usd/month.

And don’t even get me started on shoody Battle.net/Wow account security, gold farming, and long list of other problems that plague the game today.

I think the best MMORPG todate is WoW, and I think w/Cati it may well be even better yet. But I just don’t it worth playing anymore.

4. Erthazus

*Rage mode on*

COCKSUCKERS

*Rage mode off*

Seriously, thats pathetic. Every fucking day they kill the Everquest franchise. Basically Everquest is the only franchise that is capable to be at the level of World Of Warcraft.

They could develop something special with Everquest 3… But no, lets develop shitty Addons.

what are you doing? I mean… WTF are you doing? Everquest I has it’s own loyal fanbase, Everquest II lacked support and you are trying to fix it now? HALT. Whats the point when there are tons of good Free to play MMOS like LOTR, Vindictus and upcoming GUILD WARS 2!!??

Why not to start all over again and make everything right this time? Whats the problem? Diarrhea?
    Gosh, Sony, are you stupid?

*RAGE!!11*

5. OlderGamer

Personialy I am hanging my MMORPG hopes on Guild Wars 2.

6. Erthazus

@5 Yeah, thats for 100% will be amazing and Firefall. You forgot about that :P

7. Gekidami

Didnt they already confirm that they were working a new EQ? Seems abit pointless to work on such a massive update in that case. But whatever.

8. Erthazus

@7 That was a rumor from them, but judging by that thing it’s going to be a spinoff or some crap.

If they want to succeed, they need to start all over with full force and with full production. Just small shitty spinnoffs won’t do it.

I just think they just don’t have ideas how to do it right. For now, they are just testing the ground and looking at the World Of Warcraft.

9. OlderGamer

Makes me wonder if that spin off will be a PS3 game?

I enjoyed EQoa so I wouldn’t be against it.

As for Firefall I am still watching it, but more of a MMOFPS action focused game really. Where as GW2 is spot on MMORPG goodness.

10. Erthazus

“Makes me wonder if that spin off will be a PS3 game?”

Of course it will. I’m sure for 99%. Sony is just testing the ground with Agency and DC Universe Online.
    They want to have a MMO market at the console space and current gen consoles have enough power to support MASSIVE multiplayer online games.

11. Hunam

I had a go at EQ2 last year and it’s still all kinds of backwards, it’s very obtuse to do almost anything in the game. Instead of refining systems, they just add and add, making it needlessly complex.