Square Enix Q2 financials not a pretty sight, could have been even worse

Friday, 5th November 2010 08:03 GMT By Nathan Grayson

birthbysleep

Square’s taken a glass half-full approach to its Q2 financials, which is really quite admirable.

Even if it is a really small glass.

The Japanese giant’s sales dropped to 68056 million yen from 90561 million during the same period last year. Operating income, too, turned a sickly shade of green, falling by more than half – from 13091 million to 5712 million yen.

Bleak, right? Well, it could be bleaker. Operating income actually surpassed the company’s dismal forecasts thanks to the longevity of older titles like Just Cause 2 and Final Fantasy XIII. With that said, numbers! Because everyone likes those.

• Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2: 1.28 million (JPN)
  • Kane & Lynch 2: Dog Days: 1.12 million (0.02 JPN, 0.39 NA, 0.71 EU)
  • Final Fantasy XIV: 0.63 million (0.19 JPN, 0.21 NA, 0.23 EU)
  • Just Cause 2: 0.56 million (0.05 JPN, 0.26 NA, 0.25 EU)
  • Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep: 0.51 million (0.01 JPN, 0.31 NA, 0.19 EU

Shareholders, exits are to the left. No setting yourself on fire and leaping out of windows until you’re safely off the premises, please.

Thanks, Andriasang.

1. Blerk

Blimey, Just Cause 2 didn’t do very well. I blame that rubbish demo that they put out – it actually put me off buying it despite me really looking forward to it before that.

And then several months down the line everyone’s started saying that it’s actually pretty good!

2. Freek

FF14 being utterly rubbish probably isn’t doing them any favors.

3. Blerk

You didn’t need the ‘FF14′ in that sentence. Sadly. :-(

4. Freek

Meh, my JRPG money is going to western RPGs instead, you snooze you loose Square.

5. 2plus2equals5

What? Kh:bbs only 0.51m in the entire world? O_O
    I don’t buy it(and others) because of my analogue, but everyone else? Pirates?

PS:
    Have you noticed that japan don’t buy se games? ok k&l and jc2 that are western games, but kh:bbs sold only 0.01m!!!!!!! O_O
    Se have to point to eu :)

6. Blerk

Which one was Birth Before Sleep? The PSP one?

The fact that I don’t know that off-hand possibly speaks volumes.

7. 2plus2equals5

@6:
    yes kh birth BY sleep is the psp one, but i think it’s pretty famous :|

8. Johnny Cullen

Blerk – BBS is the PSP one. And it’s Birth By Sleep.

The last one was 358/2 Days for DS.

9. Blerk

I don’t know where I got ‘before’ from! :-D

I find it a bit difficult to believe that it only did 10k in Japan. Are those just the figures for that quarter? i.e. did it come out prior to Q1 in Japan?

10. Blerk

Ah, yes – I was right. It came out in January in Japan and has done about three-quarters of a million over there.

11. DaMan

JC2 was great, one of the most fun sandbox games i ever played. shame it underperformed.

the rest of that crap got the sales they deserved. can’t believe K&L2 did a million btw.

12. jevonski

Yeah JC2 is awesome still, probably the major reason is that both FF games XIII & XIV have been poor, still looking forward to agito and versus tho.

13. OlderGamer

wow, guess everyone else must be right, and I must be wrong. This proves it for sure.

Japan IS strong and doing well.