Microsoft: HD remakes not a priority unless they can “provide real value to the customer”

Tuesday, 26th October 2010 10:10 GMT By Nathan Grayson

xboxa2

Sad to say, time has not been kind to many old-school original Xbox titles. Once on the very bleeding edge of graphical fidelity, they’re now more likely to make your eyes bleed than anything else. But hey, that’s what HD remakes are for, right?

Wrong, says Microsoft.

“We obviously have a lot of new things going on, so the thought of re-doing a bunch of things is probably difficult to just weave into the overall portfolio. If you can provide real value to the customer, there could be possibilities for that, but I don’t spend a lot of time thinking about it,” Microsoft corporate VP Phil Spencer told IGN.

“I don’t think it’s necessarily a bad idea,” he said. “I’m going to think about it from the customer’s perspective, and are we really delivering something of value to the customer at a price that they want?”

HD remakes, of course, have been all the rage of late, with the likes of Sony and Ubisoft especially embracing the trend. Microsoft, on the other hand, seems to have decided – at least, for the time being – to leave the past where it lies. Which, translated into the Common Tongue, means no HD version of Jet Set Radio Future for us. The world just became a sadder place.

1. Mike

It’s quite obvious Halo 1 HD would sell feckin’ billions.

I’d buy 10 copies.

Do it MS.

2. Razor

It’s obvious why MS aren’t on the HD bandwagon; they’d have to ship on multiple DVD’s.

3. Retroid

Wow, Razor. That’s one if the worst attempts at trolling I’ve *ever* seen.

Well done! :D

4. Blerk

What are these ‘new things going on’ of which he speaks? :-)

5. Freek

‘new things going on’ = Pretending they are Nintendo.

In wich case they should be all about releasing the same game with slightly better visuals!

/takes bow
    /grabs hat
    /runs

6. Thalius

“Value for the costumers” Really??
    We get to replay or favorite games in HD, thats of no value for us?!?!?!?!??! Retards.

7. sennasnit

It would only make sense for M$ to do HD remakes of the games that are not compatible with the 360.

8. Blerk

Actually I might’ve sniped a little but I do actually agree – I’d much rather everyone was working on new stuff than buggering about making the old stuff that I already played look slightly prettier.

9. BraveArse

I agree to a point but having recently finished Reach the first thing I thought of was how lovely it would have been to jump straight into Halo: CE HD.

10. Freek

I haven’t played allot of those games. Mostly because allot of them came out on the tail end of the last console cycle. Strangers Wrath, Shadow of the Collasuss. God of War 2. Looking forward to playing those and in the nicest possible quality.

I doubt it takes large teams to port the games over. And in the case of Beyond Good and Evil it might even resurect a failed franchise.
    I’m all for it.

11. RETARDED VIKING

Halo2,KUF1/2,KOTOR1/2,and Otogi1/2 would be great if i can get it in HD with achievements/fixed issues.

12. 2plus2equals5

@3: i think razor refers to hd collections.
    Obviously a single hd game fit in a dvd, two or more no.

13. JonFE

If I were in MS’ shoes, I would already have 343 Industries working on porting Halo: CE (and maybe H2) in Reach’s engine (which should already be licensed), in order to get them to familiarize with the game technicalities, prior to working on the full Halo sequel.

14. Madeira

Riddick.

15. manamana

Blerk called it and so do I.
    Jade Empire 2 over a remake.
    Shenmue 3 over a remake.

Et cetera…

16. Mike

Halo 1 HD over pretty much everything else.

17. manamana

Did I mention SWBF3? No? It’s because I forgot totally about my beloved Battlefront franchise …

18. Gheritt White

Halo:CE in the Halo: Reach engine, plz!

19. orakaa

@7 : yeah, whatever… I had a dozen of games on my original XBOX… and NONE of them were compatible with the 360 (amongst them were Otogi, KOTOR 1 and 2, Panzer Dragoon Orta, etc.)

20. Blerk

The KOTOR games were compatible, weren’t they?

21. No_PUDding

What he’s trying to say is the original Xbox didn’t have any games worth giving an HD rerelease.

Apart from… Halo, Stranger’s Wrath and Chronicles of Riddick.

2 of which are already well on their way in or done in HD.

22. Kuwabara

mirosoft don’t specialise in games, all their(your) money goes to xbox live and kinnect.

23. orakaa

@ 20: I can assure you I have tried every single game I had (since my original XBOX died… just like my 360 recently…), and none of them were compatible, which really disappointed me at the time, and I had to DL KOTOR 1 and 2 for PC (as I already had BOUGHT the games, I wasn’t gonna pay for them again)

24. Blerk

Did you have your 360 connected to the ‘net? I seem to recall a bunch of them needed a downloadable update before they’d work.

25. freedoms_stain

Team ICO games were kinda hidden gems, the God of War games came right at the end of the PS2 lifespan and a lot of people ended up missing them.

I never had an xbox, did it have any such games? I don’t really feel I missed anything from the xbox era I couldn’t get for like a couple of quid now on PC.

26. manamana

@oraka KOTOR 1 works just fine. You need to update your games on the 360 via net. Also check out this Wiki stuff.

27. DaMan

Ninja Gaiden Black. the definitive action title, remastered. ( that pos called Sigma with cheaper AI, a useless second character and crappy extra weapons doesn’t count).

28. ensabahnur

im just gonna add my point in which adds to everyone else.

THIS IS BULLSHIT!!!

I will pay for an HD remake but i wouldnt pay for the original game in low res and no cheevos because it would be worth my time. I dont care if you have to put Prince of Persia on 3 different DVD’s, i could give a rats ass, ill take that hit cuz i know Microsoft is not supporting blu ray, but i still would like the chance to play it on my xbox, be it 1 or 4 dvd’s.

Also agree with JonFE about making 343 do that so they can familiarize themselves with the engine.

29. lexph3re

@Retroid I’m curious do you comment on forums in digital foundry’s face offs?

30. Psychotext

@29: He’s a mod over there… so the answer to that should be fairly clear. :)

31. LOLshock94