PS3 requires Jailbreak firmware update to play Medal of Honor

Saturday, 16th October 2010 18:20 GMT By Stephany Nunneley

medalofhonor4

Medal of Honor released this week, and if you’ve yet to purchase the game, let alone update your PS3, you will have to apply firmware updates 3.42 and 3.50 in order to play the game.

In case you’ve been away on vacation or something, the firmware (Jailbreak killer) updates prevent hackers from running pirated games along with the use of unauthorized controllers via the USB ports on the console.

Medal of Honor, along with all games hitting the system from here on out are encrypted with the new encryption key, which means the current Jailbreaks out there for PS3 will not be able to read the code on the disc.

Digital Foundry explains it so much better than we can through here.

Still, if you haven’t dusted your PS3 off in a while, and plan to do so, you’ll need to update it in order to play almost anything from here on out.

You may want to make sure any off-brand controller you have for it still works too, once the update is applied.

1. itwa5me

I bought my backwards compatible PS3 right before they screwed us all by eliminating the other os feature. But even at the begining of this year 9/10 games wouldnt even start, which is what the soldiers oversea’s deal with on a daily basis because of their lack of online play.

I still don’t understand how Sony is allowed to wipe away an advirtised feature. At least euro folkes are fighting back.

Its just a common occurence these days to devolve in the name of profit. Sony overreacted by scrapping the feature, the hackers (geoDOUCHE) were not even able to clone games or upload full games so I don’t understand why Sony flipped out the way they did. They could have arrested geoDOUCHE thrown him in guantanamo bay and that would have been the last we heard from him.

Another thing that bugs me about this is that why don’t they put the right people in charge of encryption? I mean don’t they go into the job knowing that some douchebag is going to try to crack it? Why don’t they use some sort of super code?

I think that the people that have been messing with the PS3 should be subject to criminal charges because they single handedly fucked all of us out of our second operating system, and in effect fucked us all out of our emulators and any glimpse of hope of a PS3 homebrew community.

Why also did sony kill its own media server? Yet another advirtised feature that was disabled, why? I just don’t get it when you get a 3rd party media player going it makes the PS3 the centerpiece of my entertainment center. I just hope and pray that they don’t screw with the 3rd party servers.

2. itsucks

the thing is, THE FUCKING GAME should bring the update if it needs it to play. Why should I pay a ISP to have the possibility of play my fucking games? FUCK OFF!

3. Psychotext

If the current rumours on the interwebs are true, this may all be for naught as apparently there’s a new hack coming which will deal with 3.5…

…who knows if there’s any truth in that though.

@2: The update is on the disc.

4. Lord Gremlin

Actually this is good. People who’re limited on internet traffic get update on disc.

5. Erthazus

As i said before. Until hypervisor will be broken, pirates will suck cocks everyday.

Firmware is just the begining. I’m sure that entire OS softmod firmware is on the horizon. So JB stuff can go to hell.

6. Stephany Nunneley

My question though is this: Johnny has a PS3. Johnny doesn’t have internet. Johnny wants to play MOH. Johnny’s Ps3 needs a firmware update. Johnny is screwed. What then?

7. Erthazus

@6 Than? Update it since your MOH have firmware update in the game.

Come on Stephany, you don’t know that?
    Every freakin disk includes automatic firmware update.

8. Razor

Do all PS3 games come with the lastest firmware update on the disc?

I know some do. I didn’t know all games did.

9. Erthazus

@8 All games come with the latest firmware update.

10. LOLshock94

thts why ps3s are very very shit

11. Stephany Nunneley

@7 Ummm last time I put a disc in my system it wouldn’t update unless I logged in and did it. So, apparently, that disc didn’t have an auto update.

And it looks like not all of us knew that anyway going by Razor’s comment. So.. :p

12. cookiejar

Similar to why GT5 was delayed, because Sony wanted 3.50 on the disc, just as it was about to go gold with 3.42 on it.

13. JimFear666

Thumbs up to sony. I agree with this method and i cant stop laughing at all the jobless/no-life/basement dweller who bought a 150$ usb key.
    Its just like sony spit on their face. Thats awesome

14. Erthazus

@11 It has the latest firmware update that is INSTALLED in the disk.

If your PS3 is not connected to the internet it will download what is in your disk.

for example if you don’t have internet and you have MOH, you need to download what is in your disk.
    If your firmware on your PS3 SKU is 3.50 for example and on your other disk 3.41 or whatever than it won’t download firmware from your disk.

Thats why you think that disks have no firmware, because your systems is up to date :)

15. SlayerGT

Im with you Jim. I bought a 600 dollar machine and Sony is nice enough to enhance it with new features and updates for free!? Not to mention if I feel like playing online there’s no extra charge. Thanks. I remember a time when you bought a console and that was it. For five years or less you were stuck with the same ole machine with the same features in it.

16. Crysis

Following their psp method of forced updates? well i keep it up to date anyways, the only people this should affect are the hackers & i could not care less for them, this should be done with all games, but then we’ll get countless security updates like the psp, which still isn’t much of a problem, but could get a little irritating.
    Only legite people this may affect are those choosing not to update it in order to use Linux, idk why Sony included it in the first place, since i first used Linux i knew someone was going to use it to hack their ps3 sso i imagined it would have been removed earlier than it did, as for Backwards Compatability, well that was a bitch, but companies do need to profit, too bad they couldn’t just emulate it, doubt it would have been THAT hard, i would buy an add-on accessory if it allowed me to play ps2 games, no more than $50 though.
    & i agree with Cookiejar about GT5, i mean if EA is doing it, why not do it for your largest first party game? save a few $$$ against pirates, they will have to either purchase it or drop dead & simply not play it. I’ll honestly be surprised if there’s no forced update on GT5.

17. KrazyKraut

dudes stop crying. its okay that they suppress this jailbreak shit. I am glad the PS3 is region-free. My PS2 and my PS1 have chips…but not to play backups, to play imports. I cant understand why we need another console to hack/crack only to ruin the game industry more or run another port of Snes9x. Get a Dreamcast or Gamecube and have some homebrew fun there. Used games are cheap and I dont think all of you Jailbreak buyers have played them. So stop stealing bitches.

18. Psychotext

Game industry was pretty healthy in the PS2 days (still some of the highest selling games ever), and piracy on the PS2 was utterly rampant. Same goes for games sales on the Wii (trivial to hack) and the DS (plug and play).

19. Kuwabara