EA stock dips on lower-than-expected Medal of Honor scores, EA responds

Wednesday, 13th October 2010 05:43 GMT By Nathan Grayson

medalofhonor4

War – what is it good for?

Not EA’s shareholders, apparently.

After a 15 percent rise in EA’s shares over the past six weeks – mostly due to strong Medal of Honor pre-orders – the stock rollercoaster drove right past a big ol’ “unfinished” sign and went careening back down to earth to the tune of six percent. The culprit? Reviews that didn’t simply read “How awesome is Medal of Honor? So awesome.”

“The game had the highest pre-orders in the 11-year history of the Medal of Honor franchise,” the publisher said in a statement. “This is an essentially big achievement considering Medal of Honor has been dormant for several years. This is the first year in rebooting the franchise.”

“Medal of Honor is part of a larger EA strategy to take share in the shooter category. This is a marathon not a sprint – today’s Medal of Honor launch represents a step forward in that race.”

Yes, Activision, we’re sure Black Ops has all kinds of neat modes and weapons, but is it properly hydrated?

Thanks, Gamasutra.

1. xavdeman

“EA, however, isn’t too worried about its recently refurbished shooter franchise.”
    Love the alliteration :)

““The game had the highest pre-orders in the 11-year history of the Medal of Honor franchise,” the publisher said in a statement.”
    Quantity != Quality.

Yeah, pretty average reviews. I’ve seen both multiplayer betas and I can’t say I didn’t expect this. This is what happens when you put DICE’s B-Team on your multiplayer mode and are overly pretentious in your marketing of the singleplayer and caving to pressure to remove the Taliban from the multiplayer hasn’t exactly changed your image for the better.

2. frostquake

Let me guess, no one wants to buy a 2 hour game of singleplayer with AI bots that take as step backwards to the 8 bit days, because Acti really just wants you playing the 3 Multi-Maps, and then buying Map Packs that are part of their new Pricing strategy of $24.99 for 3 Redux Fan Faves…

Huge Pass for me, well until in the Bargain Bin of $20.00 or less, preferably $10.00 or less!

If Owning Beards can’t sell this game, then what can? Oh wait when your girlfriend plays it and gets better does she get a nice long beard too?

3. _LarZen_

Fuck the reviews! The game looks cool and im geting it, happy now shareholders?

4. Freek

From the reviews and videos I got the impression it’s a game lacking identity.
    A sort of CoD singleplayer with a sort of CoD/BF multiplayer. Both competent but neither spectacular. When there are already excelent CoD and Battlefield games out right now, why bother with MoH?
    Good on EA though that they are not giving up. Perhaps they’ll nail it with the next game.

5. Predator2k9

Over ten minutes of gameplay footage (PC), enjoy!
    >>> http://www.looki.de/ten_minutes_of_medal_of_honor_n84161.html

6. KAP

Anyone getting this will be so UNDERWELMED (believe me that had to be done in capitals)

Its two steps back from MW2 its unreal. It’ll get traded within a few days trust me.

7. szaromir

How are review scores lower than expected?

8. D3SI

Been looking at Multiplayer Videos on YouTube and i love it.. waiting for mine to arrive.

i would give it 9/10

9. Tonka

I can’t believe they made a shooter that is played through a first person perspective. It’s such an amazingly fresh idea.

And to set it in a war… Fantastic.

Why aren’t people wanking themselves silly over this marvel of ingenuity?

10. Tonka

@8 You would give a game a score based on some youTube videos?

11. endgame

reviews r decent, some even good and with eurogamer giving it an 8 I’m definitely psyched about this one. I’m talking about the single-player campaign here. the multiplayer side might not be so awesome but it’s still fun in short rounds. and if u want more just get back in bfbc2. u can’t get more awesome than that. that is if u can handle it. it hasbeen proved that mw2 pussies can’t.

12. EscoBlades

The beta for this game was enoguh to justify my not touching it.

4 hour campaign? GTFO!

13. D3SI

@10 its better than saying game is crap without playing it.

and yes i would.. for example black op videos, it looks ok but whats so new about it? that they changed the points into game money? :| also not sure about MP but SP graphics look preety old. so far thats what i’ve seen from the trailers specially from new SP trailer

@11 “it hasbeen proved that mw2 pussies can’t.” Totally Agree

14. Tonka

Jesus wept.

15. OlderGamer

Looks like CoD, Smells like CoD, Tastes like CoD … what? Oh … so, you already have CoD.

What? Your waiting for the next real CoD?

I see.

No, no, I understand.

*sniff*sniff*

16. Blerk

Fishy!

17. jeremycafe

The multiplayer is just awful. The engine feels like complete garbage. Running around just doesnt feel natural at all. I was about ready to shelve this game for good when I decided to give the single player a shot knowing it was using Unreal 3 instead of that trashy DICE engine.

I only got through the first level, but I really enjoyed playing it. The sound effects sounded much more realistic than your average shooters. The environment and such just felt more immersive. When I am done playing single player I doubt I will give multiplayer much more playtime, however.

My verdict:

Single player first look: 9/10
    Multiplayer First look: 4/10 (its that shit.)

18. jeremycafe

Just to add to my comments about the multiplayer, it felt more like an aged WW2 game from 1999 than a modern multiplayer game. The graphics were awful, the lighting made it nearly impossible to see at times, and its hard to distinguish what is really going on. The shooting animations and lack of recoil also is just a huge FAIL.

19. McLovin85

I love how companies r now so focused on pre-orders.

‘Oh look we have loads of pre-orders so our game must be good even though no one has tried it’.

Then reviews come out and it suddenly dawns on them that people can cancel pre-orders, stock prices tumble and statements like ‘It’s a marathon not a sprint’ have to be issued.

I’m happy with B:BC2 as it’s an awesome game and had DICE’s full attention. MoH’s mistake is it tried to cater for everyone’s needs but ended up failing on all fronts.

20. OlderGamer

Truely, we all know what they were hoping to catch with this game. I just think they are going to have trouble reeling it in. At this point I am not sure what they will land to be honest. Hopefuly something they can sink their teeth into and make a meal out of.

Besides I would hate to see them all go hungry.

21. DSB

6 percent dip isn’t exactly a punishment after a 15 percent rise, it’s more of an adjustment on expectations.

If anything though, history has shown that 90% of game launches start with a sprint and then just peters out. I can only really think of Psychonauts as the odd man out.

When you have one AAA studio working exclusively on the singleplayer side of one game, and all they come up with is six hours of content, there’s something wrong in my opinion.

I liked the puns in that post though. Good job Nathan.

22. OlderGamer

I agree about BFBC2. For a war shooter, that is all I am going to need for a long time. I am sure CoD fans feel that way about their fav franchise too.

But “MoH’s mistake is it tried to cater for everyone’s needs but ended up failing on all fronts.”

While I think MoH may well lack an identity of its own, I also feel that they tried to enter a market space that is currently out of room.

FPS games are over saturated. Add to that the war sim slot is filled with CoD and BFBC2. And I don’t honestly know who they were trying to market this thing to. FPS are 80% about Online anyways. I know some of you folks like to chirp up about a SP campaign, but that isn’t why the bulk of players buy these things. And when you factor in the 60usd game price, and DLC players have already invested in an Online FPS at this point. Halo/BFBC2/CoD, whatever. Along comes a new game, and I doubt too many folks will want to start over on a new game when they already have lots of friends playing the old one. Plus, again, the old one is already paid for(save for any new unrealeased dlc).

I think it was a bad idea for MoH to even be made.

23. LOLshock94

i dont think people pre-ordered thatmany stuff 11 years ago

24. YoungZer0

Seriously, the Singleplayer is fantastic, but extremely short. And i’m not even interested in the multiplayer. A good one-day rent.

Freaking shame. That’s what it is. She should have let Danger Close do the whole thing alone. Multiplayer and all that. Should’ve given them more time, should have at least tried a story. Different Voiceactors would help. They pretty much sound alike.

25. guapo

@ 11 & 13 – You are Nucking Futs!!! I kick ass in both mw2 and bfbc2(skill level 192). My primary mp game is mw2 but i can easily jump on battlefied and do serious damage. Do you think before you comment? And the asshole that seconded your narrow-minded opinion is worse than you.