Rebooting Devil May Cry was a “no brainer,” says Ninja Theory

Thursday, 7th October 2010 12:04 GMT By Johnny Cullen

dmc5

Ninja Theory chief Nina Kristensen has told Develop that the chance to reboot Capcom’s Devil May Cry was a “no brainer.”

The Cambridge studio releases its next title Enslaved: Odyssey to the West in the UK tomorrow, but is already hard at work at DMC, which it announced at TGS a couple of weeks back for PS3 and 360.

“I think with Devil May Cry, [the deal] was a great opportunity. It is a beloved franchise and for us it was a very good fit – it’s all about the things we love; high energy fighting and cool cinematics,” said Kristensen.

“It was also a project that wasn’t an original IP, which we’ve never tackled before. This deal was of course a no-brainer for us.”

The biggest change that was noticed during the unveil of DMC was the style and look to main character Dante, which didn’t sit too well with fans of the series and its creator Hideki Kamiya.

But Kristensen said Capcom Japan wanted Ninja Theory to “go crazy” with its design for the character, adding further the publisher came to the studio about the reboot because it would “add something to the franchise that hadn’t been seen before.”

No date yet has been given for DMC.

1. Psychotech

shitstorm incoming

2. Erthazus

“high energy fighting and cool cinematics”

Wut?

3. Madeira

You’d think NT would be the worst possible choice for a DMC game.

We already know how this is going to turn out. It’s going to have a lot of money on the screen, with great voice acting and cinematics, and have slow, simplistic, laggy gameplay. And still get great review scores.

4. Psychotech

^this.Man do they know what gamers want!!!

5. G-Sama

let me get that straight…
    So capcom wanted NT to go crazy(and that’s what happened)With Their designs to attract new twilight fanboys…and let all the old fans burn in hell!!!

I can see that capcom is the one gone crazy!!

6. StolenGlory

Yeah, Capcom said ‘Go Crazy’, not ‘Go Retarded’.

You never go full-retard.

7. back_up

Ass hole Ninja gay Theory keep your mouth shut.Everyday there is topic about Ninja gay Theory. LAst time Ninja Theory butt was paining for heavenly swords 2.

8. LOLshock94

@6 hahahaha tropic thunderrrrrrrrrrr

9. Michael O’Connor

Oh god. The comments here just get worse and worse…

I’m not even going to bother this time.

10. reema

I liked the trailer if it wasn’t supposed to be a Devil May Cry game. Gosh, I miss the old Dante =(

11. Elven_Star

You just did.

12. Michael O’Connor

@11 Trust me, if I was “bothering” my post would be five paragraphs longer.

13. SET

Indeed. No brains were involved in creating such a reboot.

14. Elven_Star

Ruining this franchise was much harder than making a good game out of it. Ninja Theory is just imba.

15. StolenGlory

@12 Thank fuck for small mercies then.

16. YoungZer0

I think I’ll just do the same thing Michael does.

It’s like Kindergarten in here.

17. Elven_Star

“I think I’ll just do the same thing Michael does.”
    Trolling non-stop?

18. Michael O’Connor

@15 & 16, Juvenile.

The internet’s modern definition of trolling: Being capable of critical thinking.

19. Elven_Star

When your opinion is _ALWAYS_ against the majority’s and your sole purpose of expressing it is starting stupid discussions, you’re a troll.

20. YoungZer0

@19: That’s not the definition of troll.

21. Michael O’Connor

@18 Actually, no, a troll is someone who posts with the deliberate intention of causing a negative reaction out of other people.

I post to express my opinion. If someone reacts negatively to that, the problem here most assuredly isn’t with me.

Claiming its “always” is not only vastly overstating it, but it also ignores some pretty critical proof to the contrary. My absolute adoration for LittleBigPlanet being just one example. My praise for Sony’s first party line-up this year (besides one specific title) being another. And I can think of more.

You’re just so busy observing my critical opinions (and I assure you, you’ve given me far more thought than I have you) that you’re intentionally ignoring the opposite side of the fence, that complete proves you wrong.

You can *say* that I’m posting a different opinion solely for the sake of having a different opinion, but that doesn’t actually make it so.

I find it interesting that I’ve been able to express differences of opinion with people like O.G. and Ghetto on here regularly, and they never take a grain of offence to any of it. You could learn by their example.

I think someone just doesn’t like having their opinions challenged.

After all, I’m not the one who came in here naming names and throwing insults at specific people. You were.

22. StolenGlory

“Oh god. The comments here just get worse and worse…

I’m not even going to bother this time.”

And then:

“Actually, no, a troll is someone who posts with the deliberate intention of causing a negative reaction out of other people.”

Contradiction is a bitch isn’t it?

23. Erthazus

:lol: Hillarious :D i love VG247 community.

24. Michael O’Connor

@22 There’s no contradiction there. It was a validated observation, not a unsubstantiated remark to deliberately rile up people.

Here, this should help some people: http://www.google.ie/search?hl=en&safe=off&pwst=1&defl=en&q=define:Critical+thinking&sa=X&ei=e9CtTJ3MFcOQjAegtuFc&ved=0CBMQkAE

Here, enjoy some good music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V7r9yQG9PO8

25. spiderLAW

I do agree with Mike. While i was complaining about this game before, only so much griping is needed.

All of you blaming NT anyways, need to stop and read the article again. Go back and read the previous articles on DMC as well. I dont even like NT myself but the real company to be angry with is Capcom. They basically said “We will piss on all our real fans for the chance to bring in some new blood.”
    Everything that NT speaks of about DMC is all permitted by Capcom. Its Their I.P. and they are allowing/supporting NT changes and even guiding them in a way.

26. StolenGlory

Oh I agree. It’s an observation that you yourself validated by being the troll in question.

Awww look, you can link to a Google article pertaining to Critical Thinking. I’m about as impressed by that as I am assured by the fact that you know what the fuck you are talking about.

27. Michael O’Connor

@25 Danke.

There’s griping, and then there’s comment #7.

Big difference.

@26 Based on your current behaviour?

Vastly more than you do, junior.

28. spiderLAW

So do i. The problem with this community is that most individuals here seem to think that their opinions are above the rest of those who comment here regularly. Its funny really.
    And i mostly enjoy reading the arguements that come out of it.

@27 You are welcome.
    Yeah, i dont know what is up with #7 ….that was a crazy whine that one came up with lol. O well, he must be that passionate about the subject rofl.

29. YoungZer0

@25: Agree. If anyone is to “blame” it’s Capcom. NT is just enjoying the freedom they were given.

30. StolenGlory

Look, i’m just not sold on the Dante design; as far as the rest of it goes we’ll see what NT can come up with.

My main concern actually stems from the combat gameplay mechanics. Having finished Heavenly Sword and Enslaved (product loan is perhaps the best thing ever), I hope that the unspectacular combat which appears to be a NT hallmark right now gets sorted out for DMC, since any critic worth their salt will invariably make the combat in the game their first stop.

31. Michael O’Connor

@28 Thankfully the consistently intelligent regulars make up for the regular infestation of N4G bred rats.

@30 I won’t deny that Enslaved combat seems lacking (though I’ve heard it really expands as you play), but Heavenly Sword’s gameplay was a divine slice of creamy, heavenly goodness… as long as you ignore the Sixaxis sections.

32. StolenGlory

‘Junior’.

That was just the level of blind assumption that I expect from an odious creature such as yourself.

Stay classy Michael, stay classy.

33. StolenGlory

What the hell.

34. Michael O’Connor

@32 Always.

It’s a logical assumption based on your behaviour. If you’re not actually younger than me but still act this way at that age, that’s just sad.

35. StolenGlory

Oh the combat does expand the futher you go into it, it’s just the fundamentals. There really isn’t a great variety to your attacks and you are fairly limited when it comes to mixing up melee combinations.

The latter being something that they will hopefully place as a priority focus during the development of DMC.

Don’t get me wrong Michael, I loved Heavenly Sword, but my affection for that title is bourne more from the visuals and the occasionally breathtaking battles, then the consistent merit of the gameplay mechanics themselves.

36. StolenGlory

Sad because I disagree with you and also because I voiced my dislike to your flamebaiting comments?

Sure thing.

You’re a funny guy Michael. I like you.

37. spiderLAW

@30 I definitely agree with that. I enjoyed Heavenly Sword but I didn’t find it spectacular. However, it did hold a heaping amount of potential that could have been easily executed in the next NT game. But, it seems they went the opposite direction with Enslaved.

I am hoping that NT can really pull it off in DMC. Although I do not care for the new Dante either, if this is the only DmC game we are going to get for a while I would rather just keep judgment for the final product. Doing so will keep my opinion unbiased/untainted so that I can make a clear judgment based actually playing the game. I loved the DMC franchise, I don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to play another one over a poorly redesigned character model (hopefully skins/costumes will be available for unlocking)

38. StolenGlory

“I don’t want to miss out on the opportunity to play another one over a poorly redesigned character model”

I agree with this.

I mean at the heart of it, the whole reaction to the character design of Dante is highly knee-jerk and actually quite snobbish. We know next to nothing about the game itself outside of speculation and like the game itself, fans of the franchise will pick apart anything that they can get their hands on.

That shouldn’t mean however, that we prejudice against the entire game just because of the character design.

39. reema

It’s true. Not Ninja Theory but Capcom is the one we should blame. But what I don’t remember anymore, did the fans like Devil May Cry 4 or not?

Capcom’s decision to give the DMC franchise to another developer than in-house maybe has something to do with the critism on DMC4. I could be wrong though…

40. StolenGlory

Was I the only one who didn’t actually mind DMC4?

41. spiderLAW

@38 Absolutely :)
    I really liked DMC4. My favorite one besides DMC1

42. reema

I liked DMC 4 too. Maybe the fans didn’t liked Nero.

43. Michael O’Connor

@40 I liked it. I just felt I was playing through the same game twice.

And Nero was a twat.

44. spiderLAW

Fans are mostly made up of adolescent whiners that are afraid of change.
    Nero was a cool character. His gameplay style was refreshing and added some more depth to it overall. He was just a young cry baby and thats the only thing about him i didnt like. They included Dante as well, and they made him a cooler character than ever as the Guide for Nero. He was like a Guru of sorts :)

45. reema

Fans are a tough crowd. I don’t know what Capcom is thinking. It feels like Ubisoft re-rebooting the Prince of Persia franchise and than going back to the previous reboot all over again

46. endgame

is that a guy or a girl in the picture?

47. YoungZer0

@30: I can understand that you’re concerned about this, but if you follow their interviews they just finished most of the design and will take their time in developing a combat system. Which probably means that it will be a lot different from their previous titles.

@44: Agreed, Fans usually are afraid of change. Look at developers like Bungie for example, they always go back to listen what their fanbase has to say, the result is the same game being done over and over again.

48. LordCancer

Oh my goooood i love you new dante i want to have your babies!