PlayStation turns 15 in Europe

Wednesday, 29th September 2010 10:06 GMT By Johnny Cullen

playstation_logo

Many happy returns to PlayStation, which turns 15 today in Europe.

The original PlayStation released on Friday, September 29, 1995 in the EU, with Ridge Racer being the primary launch title.

The console has become synonymous with games such as Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Grand Theft Auto, Resident Evil, Tomb Raider and more.

It also introduced first-party offerings like WipEout, Twisted Metal and, of course, Gran Turismo.

GI has a retrospective piece on PlayStation 1 up, featuring input from Lorne Lanning of Oddworld Inhabitants, Quantic Dream’s Guillaume de Fondaumière and Gaikai’s Dave Perry.

Next up: the ten-year European milestone for PlayStation 2 in November.

1. Blerk

So many great memories! What a machine!

/wipes a tear
    /considers baking a cake

2. cookiejar

Congrats Sony.

I remember getting one quite late in its life. Infact I bought Die Hard Trilogy (well my parents did) before I even had the console to play it on! Used to take it round to my mates to play it on his, who after a few days got understandably pissed off with this arrangement.

Good times. Great brand.

3. Ghost_Dog

Tomb Raider was originally a Saturn game.

4. No_PUDding

Busting chops?

5. Kuwabara

i still remember buying the playstation with my cousin, and it came bundled with wing commander 4. I had a blast with the game. my first demo i played was medieval, it became my first game, fucking loved it.

6. DaMan

the first Playstation has never been synonymous with GTA, it was totally a PC game.

7. cookiejar

@6 Probably right. I’d say the PlayStation brand was synonymous with those games, though.

8. ruckus

Battle Arena Toshinden, Destruction Derby, Ridge Racer and Tekken I think were the reasons I picked this up over a Saturn. The N64 was better though… :p

9. Blerk

Pft. My arse it was! :-D

10. cookiejar

Remember those demo disc’s you’d get crammed full of games. And I think hitting select would immediately stop the demo and plonk you back in the main menu. Did that a few times by mistake.

11. DaMan

@7 well, JC ‘s quote I was referring to was clearly about the console, wasn’t it.

and Tomb Raider is questionable too, it was also a bit more of a PC series. it really wasn’t the same as those ‘native’ games like Resident Evil.

12. Kuwabara

playstation would still be very successful without gta, however gta wouldnt be where it is today without ps1.

13. DaMan

LOL, classic. I truly feel sorry for people like you, Kuwabara.

and no. it would be totally the same, Gta gained mainstream popularity with the third game.

14. theevilaires

Fun fact: The first demo disc had secret codes for the full retail games. If you hit the R2 or L2 button on the selected demo it would flip over revealing a level code or tip for that full retail game.

This was my first demo disc

I was such a loser back in those days I played 2Xtreme so much I gave all the NPC nick names and every time they would pass me by I would shout out hey Steve (he had the red cap with yellow shirt) where the hell you think you’re going and catch up to him punch him off his skate board :D ….ahhh those were the days! The wonder years if I may say. :)

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE PlayStation!

15. cookiejar

@11 Yes it was, but I wasn’t.