Civilization V launches today in UK – launch trailer inside

Friday, 24th September 2010 12:18 GMT By Johnny Cullen

civv

In case no one got the memo, Civilization V launches today in the UK. To celebrate, 2K’s released the launch trailer. Get it below.

The clip of the Firaxis RTS shows off some of the game’s historic timelines and settings, from Egypt and India to name a few.

There’s also some gameplay stuff as well.

Get the video below.

Civilization V is out now. If you ain’t convinced yet, you can grab the demo from Steam here.

1. Fin

Not available in my local HMV. FFFFFFUUUUUUU.

2. DSB

What’s an HMV? Is that like a store, that sells games? In boxes? Oh man, I can’t believe you still have those.

Civ V kicks ass. I almost feel guilty for the number of hours I’ve racked up the last few days.

It does have some pretty significant balancing issues, and the AI just isn’t pulling its weight at the moment, but it’s everything that’s good about Civilization, and then some.

I miss the gay multicultural theme of IV though. I always felt like hugging the first person from Africa that I see on the street after playing that. Just a nice big bearhug, for being on the same planet as me.

… Don’t judge me.

3. Grimrita

All I can say is that the game is EXTREMELY poor in parts. The AI is shocking! This is my first and LAST Civ game. A friend said about the AI being stupid and you’d think after 5 versions, they would actually get it right – or close to it.

I really havent seen anything quiet like this since the 80′s and recently, with Starcraft 2′s crappy AI. Not even close on the review scores its getting.

4. DSB

I really wish I could disagree with you, but it’s true.

People are already calling for Firaxis to adapt community-modified AI, which is exactly what they did with IV. That improved the game a lot, but in a weird way Civilization has always been a game that went really far, but stopped just short.

The balance is really off, the behaviour when using diplomacy makes no sense, and I keep seeing hundreds of things I’d improve, but at the end of the day, and for all it’s shortcomings, it’s still hard to find a more engrossing strategy game. I think Shafer is slowly pushing it towards a more Paradox’y approach, which is exactly what it needs.

For now, there’s absolutely no reason to play on anything below Prince if you want to have any sort of challenge.

5. OlderGamer

I waited on buying this. Then found FYE was blowing all PC games out. I got this for half price, no lie. Feeling really good about that right now. I hope to jump in feet first next week. Poor AI or not, its civ. Best strategy game franchise on the market if ya ask me.