Halo: Reach is “Halo 4 in all but name,” says Microsoft

Thursday, 9th September 2010 13:37 GMT By Johnny Cullen

haloreach

Microsoft’s said today Halo: Reach is “Halo 4 in all but name.” In other news, the sky is blue, grass is green, roses are red and the earth’s still spinning.

The line came in a press release from the firm’s UK PR arm, announcing details of the main flagship launch for the Bungie shooter on Monday night.

“Halo: Reach, developed exclusively for Xbox 360, is the blockbuster prequel to the franchise – truly Halo 4 in all but name,” said director of Xbox in the UK, Stephen McGill.

“Halo is the biggest video game series in history and as a pop culture icon it’s been called the Star Wars for the joypad generation.”

The main launch will take place at Game at Westfield Shopping Centre in London, while the premiere of the game takes place in London tonight.

Halo: Reach releases this Tuesday for Xbox 360.

1. Dralen

No Master Chief, No Halo 4.

2. TerryWogan

In all but name… And storyline.

3. Blerk

It’s a prequel, isn’t it? Wouldn’t that make it Halo Zero?

4. A4-F8

killzone: 3 is “killzone 4 in all but name,” says sony

5. The Hindle

Im wondering after Bungie leave Halo, will it suffer the Treyarch affect in the fact people know the best studio isnt working on it? Just a theory.

6. AHA-Lambda

wait why didnt you tell me this before!?

or why not just call it halo 4? O__o

@5 – probly

7. Happy Hardon Harry

Halo is like Big Brother! You fucking hated it ever since it’s conception and you’ll be glad of the day that see’s it’s demise.

8. Dralen

Seriously, Fuck Microsoft! This is all just a big fat hype train to get more people to buy the game. It’s not Halo 4, it’s Halo: Reach! Sorry, Microsoft piss me off sometimes.

9. _Sikamikanico_

Haters gonna hate.

This next week is going to be great. Friends over for a week long LAN, plenty of beer, snacks and Halo.

Good times.

10. DrDamn

“Halo is the biggest video game series in history”

Great game series, and I’m really looking forward to Reach, but that’s a blatant fib isn’t it?

11. Erthazus

@5 It won’t suffer, You can’t make something worse than Halo in my Opinion.

I think when Bungie will be out of this, 343 industries will make a decent game.

For USA only maybe.

12. Kerplunk

@10 Maybe they meant it from just a Microsoft perspective? ;)

13. Freek

Outside of MS marketing nobody refers to Halo like that.

14. Anaron

Sure, call it Halo 4 if the 4 signifies that it’s the 4th Halo game to be released by Bungie Studios.

15. Petulant Radish

Halo is brilliant fun. I don’t care if it’s numbered 4 or an arbitrary figure like 9,187,235.78, as long as the gameplay is as fun as it usually is then, for me, it will be one of the games of the year.

16. Crysis

they don’t want to give a prequel a sequels digit, no matter how deserving, just does not make sense

17. Blerk

What was ODST, then? Halo 3.5?

18. Erthazus

@17 It’s just an expansion pack… For the full price.

19. Gheritt White

@ 9: agreed. I’ve already got a co-op rota going with my PS3 owning buddies. Funnily enough, I’ve only ever encountered out-and-out hatred for Halo online – IRL, people just like to play fun games, innit.

20. Blerk

I don’t really understand why anyone has to hate on something that they don’t like. Why does it matter if these games come out if you weren’t going to play them anyway?

Unless it’s Smash Bros, of course. That totally deserves to fucking die.

21. Johnny Cullen

I’m pumped for Reach.
    I have faith in Reach being one of my top five best games of 2010.
    I want Reach so bad right now.
    I should stop saying Reach and should probably write up news about Reach.
    Reach, Reach, Reach, Reach, Reach.

22. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Well, unfortunately, Reach is the only 360 exclusive this fall that I must have.

23. Gekidami

Isnt it the only 360 exclusive this fall, full stop?

24. AHA-Lambda

fable 3 and kinect >_>

yuck

25. Johnny Cullen

Gek – Fable III.

26. Gekidami

So the PC version of Fable 3 got canned again?

27. The Hindle

After Fable 3 we have 6 months to Gears 3 the next proper exclusive.

28. G1GAHURTZ

Light of a particular color is characterized by its frequency and wavelenth. The higher the frequency, the more blue it appears.

Sunlight is made up of all colors that, when mixed together, produce white light. You may have seen a rainbow or the prism experiment where the white light is split up into several colors.

The earth’s atmosphere is filled with minute dust and water particles that act like a filter, scattering the light rays. The rays of light with the longer wavelengths, such as reds and yellows, tend to pass more easily through the atmosphere, while the rays with the shorter wavelengths, like blues and indigos, tend to be randomly scattered more easily. These more easily dispersed shorter light rays are what give the sky its blue color.

Red skies at sunrise and sunset are caused by the same phenomenon. When the light hits the Earth at an angle it has more of the atmosphere to go through; this increases the filtering effect and that is why you see a red sky.

29. AHA-Lambda

and after gears 3 all is a mystery =/

30. reask

What amuses me the most is seeing the same guys post in every single halo thread on how bad it is.
    Not looking at anyone in particular. ;)

I mean there is plenty of games I and others don’t like but seldom if ever feel the need to keep going in to every thread on them just to blast them.

I think its called insecurity, or puberty. :)

31. reask

@ Giga.
    What…..?

32. G1GAHURTZ

Sorry, I was just being silly after reading the first paragraph of the story…

33. Gheritt White

@ 30: Agreed. I mean, you don’t see TEA banging on-and-on about how shit he thinks Halo is, do you? I really respect that. I think some people are just feeling a little left out… or haven’t played Halo:CE all the way through.

34. theevilaires

M$ is dumb, shut up and just release the game. You’ll make billions again.

35. Petulant Radish

@18 it was £26 at launch for me, that isn’t full price.

36. Callum

what the fuck was wrong with smash brothers Blerk?! Your a nut case if you can’t enjoy a bit’o brawlin’ !!!

Also, SO PUMPED FOR THIS! Seen the extended live trailer yet?!

go looky! AMAZING

37. DaMan

that’s right, those games are awesome.

DIE, Blerk!111!! GET OFF THE INTERNET!!11 NOW!

38. Blerk

Ha ha!

We used to go round to a mate’s house for drinks and games and he always used to make us play the Gamecube version of it and I fucking hated it. I still get Vietnam-style flashbacks. Luckily the bastard moved away. :-D

39. RETARDED VIKING

@20 that’s it man you and me 1v1 in Smash Bros. now.

40. spiderLAW

@38!!!!!
    Blasphemy!!!! All the Smash Bros games are glorious!!!
    You probably just got your ass handed to you so it made you drustrated enough to declare hatred for such a great game!

Cant wait for Reach. Im going to cancel my preorder at gamestop and go to best buy because Best Buy is giving away $20 gift card with the pre-order….gamestop is giving this ugly armor piece, big fucking deal.

41. Kerplunk

@30 I see that happen in any discussion of an established franchise. On any platform. It’s interesting how this common behaviour is witnessed in a selective manner though.

42. Callum

zomg im playing Smash bros on my N64 now. I love Link! And Fox! I fucking hate captin falcon tho…

FALCON…..PPUUUNNCCHHHHH….

43. DrDamn

+1 for not getting Smash Bros. Never clicked with me at all – it’s one of those games where I can’t even really see what others see in it too. There must be something, it’s highly regarded and sells well – just not for me.

44. Dr.Ghettoblaster

Halo 4

45. AHA-Lambda

@43 + 1 can never see whats happening on the screen =/

46. reask

Xtra vision in Ireland is giving 800 MS points for pre ordering.
    Not bad.

47. The Hindle

Where is the cheapest place to buy this? Im talking street retailers as ill be trading games in.

48. G1GAHURTZ

I was shocked to learn that this is supposed to be coming out in a few days.

The hype is pretty lukewarm compared to how I expected it to be.

49. reask

Hey TH if you pick it up we will have to do a bit of co-op or firefight.
    Couple of other guys on site are getting it as well so we should be able to get a team together. :)
    Is fire fight freinds only again does anyone know?

Also when are the reviews out?

50. The Hindle

Sure Reask and there is something on IGN that allows us to get the hardest achievements for this in an easy way, its a video hold on ill link you.

I may be doing this after ive played it properly :D

Also Sept 11th for the reviews.

51. manamana