PS3 Firmware 3.42 kills PS Jailbreak, others

Tuesday, 7th September 2010 10:35 GMT By Patrick Garratt

ps3slim2

According to an Exophase report, the recently-released Firmware 3.42 for PlayStation 3 has killed off various homebrew exploits.

The update means PS Jailbreak, PS Groove, PSFreedom and any other exploits won’t work after the latest patch.

Sony released the software update this morning, as confirmed by SCEA’s John Koller on the US PS Blog.

This is a mandatory install, reportedly.

And that’s the end of that, then.

Thanks, Evil Avatar.

1. Catkiller

Thank god I got two PS3s… One in use and one waiting for the CFW :)

2. Robo_1

Yup, it gimps the jailbreak. Good.

3. KAP

Its like xmas everytime i see the “an update is available” msg…. damn sony you got me this time!

4. cookiejar

Nice one.

5. Gekidami

They should have hidden this with a more interesting feature. People who want to jailbreak their PS3 probably arent going to download a mysterious update that does nothing apparent.

EDIT: So yeah, “PSFreedom, PSGroove, PSJailbreak are no longer functional in firmware 3.42.”

6. Blerk

Probably not a moment too soon either, given that you can now crack it using mobile phones and calculators! :-D

7. KrazyKraut

nice!!! 1 : 0 for Sony.. hope the match ends right now.

8. Erthazus

@6 Except that the source code is the same.

9. Freek

Considering the original hack worked via USB you can probably use anything with a USB interface and some memory to do it. It’s all the same thing.

10. getbradshaw

Sony already lost by going to court in Australia… Now it’s out there for everyone to try to hack it.

11. theevilaires

People are just going to have two PS3′s now if they don’t have them yet.

12. Erthazus

@11 Except that not on every system it works, + not every game will be ripped off.

Just see this: God_of_War_III_EUR-JAILBREAK [PS3] [PSJ]
    Uploaded Y-day 22:10, Size 39.52 GiB, ULed by thenoobish

39 GB of the fucking space. Good luck downloading that thing on your hardware + there is a general confusion around what you need to use or how to rip the files.

If i wanted the pirating console, that would be Xbox 360 Slim. Easier, cheaper and thats maybe i’m going to do when i will buy Xbox and when i will play enough of Gears 3 ofc. :D

13. KAP

@11 Yea because having 2 PS3 sounds cheap right?

14. cookiejar

@9 Im guessing a contingency plan would be to disable the PS3′s USB ports from booting straight away when the console starts.

15. Psychotext

@13: I can grab two PS3s now for less than 1 cost at launch… and some nutters bought them at launch. ;)

16. Dragon

I got PS3 Slim 120Gb (3.41); Does ‘JB’ work on it?!

17. Psychotext

@16: That would be a yes… unless you update it of course.

18. Erthazus

@16 Whats the model of your PS3? Not every model is affected by JB.

19. Psychotext

Yes they are Erthazus. It’s just the firmware revision which matters… IE 3.42 (not working) vs anything before that (working).

I assume you haven’t been paying much attention to what’s been going on in the scene in the last couple of weeks. (The original hack just worked on 3.41… a limitation removed by the open source hack)

20. Dragon

I updated it weeks ago; Now, I’m not gonna update it again! So you think ‘JB’ works on it… .

It’s PAL, I guess. (the model)

21. Erthazus

@19 On the Limited SKU’s. Go to the PsGroove and there is a documentation on which SKU’s it works.
    I already tried it on my friends PS3 Fat 80 GB model. It doesn’t work.

@20 it depends on the SKU. Your 120 GB model is CECH-20xxA or CECH-21xxA. you can find it in documentation.

22. Psychotext

I’ve just been searching around and I can’t find anything which indicates it doesn’t work on certain PS3s. It works just fine on my PS3 80gb (Fat) running 3.41.

You got a link?

23. theevilaires

Well KAP I have 3 PS3′s Two which are the original 20GB and 60GB from launch (over $1200 in one day and well worth every penny). My 3rd PS3 is the slim of course (its mainly my daughter’s)

$300 for a PS3 I think is a very good offer. If people who are so into pirating games that would cost them upward in the thousands I think its worth it to them to have a spare $300 jailbreak PS3. Don’t forget the HDD the PS3 uses are fairly cheap. A 1TB would only run you $70 at the most.

So lets see. $300 PS3 + $70 1TB + $0 Jailbreaker vs 300x $60. You do the math and tell me why its not worth it to pirates.

24. OlderGamer

I bought a first run PS3 as well. Two of em actualy, the second one to replace the broekn first one.

25. theevilaires

Sorry to hear that O.G. I’ve had mines since week 1 of the launch. Only issue had been with my 60GB when SONY released firmware 3.10 and it stop the fan inside from kicking into over dive causing the system to freeze. Was fixed with FW 3.15 and works flawlessly now.

Wish I knew you back then, maybe I could have helped you fixed it but since you had it replaced with another fully backwards PS2 compatibility system PS3 I guess no harm really done.

26. Hybridpsycho