Dragon Age 2: “A lot of other choices” make up for single player race, says Dr Ray

Sunday, 29th August 2010 07:12 GMT By Patrick Garratt

dragonage26

You may only be able to play as a human in Dragon Age 2, but BioWare boss Ray Muzyka is convinced the RPG won’t leave you gasping for choice.

“I think we certainly make up for the fact there’s a little more contraint with the character choice with a lot of other choices,” said the exec, speaking to VG247 at gamescom earlier this month.

“And really, the focus allows a lot of the polish in there too.”

Dragon Age: Origins allowed the player to choice from three races at the start of the plot; humans, elves, dwarves were all available for play.

There’s been something of a kick-back against the “Mass Effect” style of Dragon Age 2′s construction, but Muzyka told us it was necessary to constrain the player in this way because of the game’s basic nature.

“It’s sort of the way the story’s told,” he said. “It’s a personal narrative. It’s a first-person narrative from the perspective of Hawke.”

He added: “As you see in the demo, there are moments when you’re taken out of that first-person narrative a little bit, and you see other characters commenting on what you’ve done and what you hope to do as a character. There’s a major impact as a the Dragon Age universe unfolds.

“But, given that he is a human in this universe, that’s just the way this particular chapter in the Dragon Age universe is built. It’s built around him being a human, and hence your choices are a little more constrained at the beginning, but on the other hand that enables us to do a lot more other cool things as well, in terms of the way the narrative flows, and the other party members that join with you are really cool and interesting and diverse.”

Dragon Age 2 releases in March next year. You can watch the amazing reveal CG here.

1. LordCancer

Id play a bearded goat fucker… just give me a good beard and I’ll fuck goats. haha

2. Phoenixblight

And he’s right like adding tone to your character now, not even Mass Effect has that. I would gladly trade in the other races just so I can have a choice on the tone of my character.

Story > Origin backgrounds

3. frostquake

Hmmmm…I don’t know yet…I really like the classes in the first one, but Hey I don’t see it as a deal breaker for me, my Wife;however, will not play the game unless she can make her character female…She doesn’t want to play no stinking man…ROFL!!! Oh well I will still buy the game, so at least it will still be in the Household, but if the Economy Tanks even further, and it looks like it will..I will wait until the GOTY

4. Stardog

In short, they wanted to create a character they could stick on the front cover of the box to sell the game around, and have voice acting for him.

5. Uncontested

I hate “contraint” on my characters.

6. Phoenixblight

You can still customize your character’s look and gender. Not sure where you heard otherwise.

7. hitnrun

It’s not like the race selection was cribbed from the Dungeons & Dragons PHB. There were only 3 races in Dragon Age and the other two were pretty dumb.

Let’s face it, the “elves” have nothing to do with any use of elves in fantasy since Tolkien or Odin. They’re just in the game because the devs couldn’t reconcile their desire for a multi-race “fantasy” game with the fact that other races were completely superfluous to their plot and lore, until someone came up with an idea to use elves as a trite slave allegory.

I did enjoy hearing dwarves that weren’t Scottish though, I don’t think I’ve heard an American dwarf v/o since the LOTR movies came out. But they were just garnish as well.

I wasn’t a huge fan of DA:O’s story (though the origins were well done), but I really liked ME:2, so if that’s what BioWare does well now, they should go for it.