UK gaming TV channel announced for November start date

Thursday, 26th August 2010 16:55 GMT By Johnny Cullen

ginx

It’s been announced that “global operator of video gaming channels” Ginx TV is to set up its own dedicated channel in the UK, starting November.

Ginx TV UK will begin airing at the end of November on Sky and Virgin, and is looking to broadcast in SD and HD.

The announcement was made at the Edinburgh Interactive Festival earlier today by former MTV Europe founder Michiel Bakker.

“Launching our channel in the UK, the world’s second largest videogaming market, will propel Ginx to the big league,” said Bakker.

“Videogaming is the only massively mainstream entertainment genre without a dedicated channel. My ambition here, is to do for gaming what MTV did for music.

“Videogaming has broken through into mainstream entertainment, yet is thoroughly under-represented on TV.”

1. justiceblob

oh dear. I cant imagine this being sucessful in any way. I still remember Gamezville, and I’m expecting the same sort of patronizing programming from this.

2. DrDamn

It’s crazy given the nature of the content and popularity that there isn’t more TV content out there. A whole channel though? HD is good though.

3. Razor

Aww…I thought G was going to stand for Garratt

4. onlineatron

I’ve been watching games shows and game related tv channels for years now… and they all disappear as soon as the come.

Gamesville, Gamer TV, Game Network, Game Master, Xleague, PLAYR the old sky tv channel that used to show gameplay trailers with music (can’t remember it’s name)… All to my interests, yet none ever good.

Would love to see more Gameswipe though :)

5. LOLshock94

the one on bravo was way better

6. Gheritt White

@ 4: You forgot Bad Influence, which was utter class.

7. justiceblob

As I said before, if it is anything l;ike this, I will just banish it forever: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vTRXw_KVo8E&feature=related

8. Stardog

Freeview?

9. justiceblob

@8 Doubt it, its a bit too niche for that shopping channel fest.

10. Blerk

They have a couple of Ginx shows on Bravo at the minute and they absolute fucking bilge.