Levine: “We never thought of Infinite as BioShock 3″

Thursday, 19th August 2010 18:48 GMT By Joe Anderson

bioshock infinite

Ken Levine has told VG247 Irrational Games never thought of BioShock Infinite as part 3 of the series, but instead as a completely new game.

Speaking to Keza Macdonald during our hands on at gamescom, Levine said Irrational would like to make a fresh start, rather than look back at previous games.

“We never thought of it (Infinite) as BioShock 3, as a follow-on to BioShock 2, but at the same time it is totally a BioShock game. We look at BioShock games differently, as the guys who created it,” Levine told us.

“Here’s why we believe this is a BioShock game: it’s set in a world that’s ridiculous and fantastical and over the top, but still connected to the human experience very much. It feels like it could be a real place. The second thing is that you have this suite of powers so that you drive how you play the game, as much as you can.

“For us, that is a BioShock game. Everything else – the location, Big Daddies, Little Sisters, all those things that seem so iconic – that is underneath what I mentioned in the hierarchy, in terms of what’s important to make BioShock game. I think it was never just about Rapture. It’s about a certain dynamic that we wanted to continue to explore.”

“If we had made something that had those components and wasn’t a BioShock game, I think people would be asking us, well, why isn’t this called BioShock? It feels so similar. And that’s our mission – to make something that feels familiar but which is different at the same time.”

You can read our full interview with Ken Levine here.

BioShock Infinite is slated for PC, PS3, and Xbox 360 in 2012. Catch our hands-on preview here.

1. Dannybuoy

Is that Peter Molyneux?

2. Gekidami

Yeah, they TOTTTALLLLYYYY dont just want to ride on a now familliar IP name…

3. onlineatron

Everything he says about the game screams ‘we didn’t want to make a Bioshock game, 2K made us stick the name there!’

4. Boris Fett

Probably because it’s essentially Bioshock 2.

5. Mark Rein

I saw the demo of BioShock Infinite today at Gamecom and it absolutely blew me away. Like the original Bioshock, I expect this will become one of the highest rated games of all time and I can’t wait to play it. One of their artists was gushing about how he used our new continuous spline tools to create the tracks between the city blocks which, of course, I found that particularly gratifying. Because it uses our engine (UE3) I knew the game was in production but it blew completely past my already-high expectations. Ken Levine and his team are geniuses in my opinion. WOW!

6. Boris Fett

Continuous spline tools? * intrigued*

7. onlineatron

@Mr. Rein

How ‘Bioshock-y’ does it look.

I have no doubt in my mind that Ken Levine and his team will deliver, their history proves this (Bioshock, System Shock, Freedom Fighters). But I wonder if the Bioshock name is required in the title, I think more excitement would have been generated if it were a new IP in name as well as nature.

8. Stephany Nunneley

Personally, I am super excited about Infinite.

To me – at least – BioShock is one of the best games ever. It’s up there with Link to the Past, Baldur’s Gate, and the Half-Life series. Granted, I have many favorites, but the first BioShock, well, even after playing it for the 4th time I was still impressed with it.

I haven’t played BioShock 2 yet.

9. onlineatron

I would skip Bioshock 2 if I were you.

It’s not that it was a bad game, it’s just it didn’t feel anywhere near as special as the first.

In fact it gave me franchise fatigue.

Part of the reason I felt weary of Bioshock; Infinite upon announcement was the Bioshock name, I really didn’t want a something similar to 1 & 2.

10. DSB

@8 Half-Life was my first thought when I played Bioshock the first time, but it didn’t exactly go beyond that.

That’s what made Half-Life so special – It just completely redefined everything.

Still, shooters with personality, yes please. I’m pretty sure Levine won’t drop the ball on this one.

11. Freek

If the game turns out great, I don’t care if they putt “Bioshit in your mouth” on the box, I’ll still play it. Maybe they’ll even do something clever with it and tie the different settings toghther in some fashion. Perhaps thematicly or some subtle refrences somewhere.

12. Mark Rein

onlineatron–> to me it looked very BioShock-y. It has great weapons, great powers, an amazing environment, phenomenal enemies, BioShock-like stylized characters and an amazing backstory. Honestly I just can’t get over how cool it was. It really hit home for me that there is so much more to come in this generation and raises the bar for game design as far as I’m concerned. I’m glad I’m not a game designer because I couldn’t for the life of me figure out how we’re going to top that but I sure am glad they’re using our engine for it! I didn’t get to see Spec Ops (another Take2 game that uses our engine) but I hung out with some bloggers after the show and they told me it was amazing as well. Well done Take2/2K!

13. LOLshock94

half life and time splitters are the best shooters

14. Blerk

It’s an interesting way to look at it which I hadn’t considered – the “Bioshock” label as a series with recurring themes rather than as a set of straight sequels. Sort of like how Final Fantasy uses its name.

Anyway, Infinite’s quickly becoming one of my most anticipated titles and I still know practically nothing about it. Super-excited.

15. mington

I wonder how the Health/life system will work in the game.

I reckon that’s where the ‘infinite’ from the title comes in.

Perhaps, Alice can revive you when you die, but it has an irreversible effect on her (maybe she ages?), giving a real consequence from dying.

Anyone who saw the live demonstration, was there a health bar like the original bioshock?

16. frostquake

@ Mark Rein

If you are correct about, “raises the bar for game design”, if this is true it could actually extend the life of consoles, with designers seeing what can be done. Do you think this will breathe new life into existing consoles?

17. The Hindle

Looks amazing does this shame its 2 years away.