Remedy: Alan Wake 2 would be published by MGS, has “great ideas”

Monday, 9th August 2010 16:10 GMT By Johnny Cullen

alanwake4

Alan Wake? On a PS3? You’re talking crazy. You’re crazy, man.

Remedy’s told Eurogamer any potential sequel for the game would be published by Microsoft Games Studios, making it an Xbox 360 exclusive.

That’s despite the Finnish studio owning the IP as an independent studio.

“With Microsoft Game Studios it’s Xbox exclusive, or it’s Xbox and PC,” the developer’s head of franchise Oskari Hakkinen told the site.

“Microsoft put a lot of beef behind the title for it to be an exclusive for the 360. They feel it’s an important title for their portfolio. It fits into their portfolio among other games like Gears of War, Halo and Forza.

“They think of their first-party games as a package and a portfolio for the 360. My understanding is we have a great fit in that portfolio as well.”

Hakkinen mentioned Remedy hasn’t yet talked to MS about making a sequel, but would like to do so.

“For both our publisher Microsoft and for Remedy, we’re still in a launch phase,” he said.

“The game just came out. We are still monitoring the main game.”

Run, Alan, Run

Sales of the original Alan Wake haven’t been as big as they could have been, despite making its debut at number two in the UK charts, selling 145k in its first month in the US, according to NPD.

But Hakkinen told VG247 back in July the IP does “have legs”.

“The word of mouth phenomenon is very apparent with Alan Wake. There has been a growing interest in the title and it certainly seems to ‘have legs’ to sustain,” he said.

So if there is a sequel, will we get it on PC as well as 360?

“Please don’t put that Alan Wake 2 is going to come out on PC, because that might not be true. Either is a possibility.”

There you go.

1. Happy Hardon Harry

Alan Wake was shite, a PC port seriously doesn’t matter now. Most have seen it for what it is…

2. mington

If this game gets a sequel, i’ll eat my hat

3. Razor

May as well put it on PS3 to try and make more money.

4. Kerplunk

“Alan Wake? On a PS3? You’re talking crazy. You’re crazy, man.”

Seriously, has anyone been having that conversation? Seems unlikely.

5. Quiiick

My gut feeling tells me that this title would have been far more successful if it had been on PS3.

Alan Wake is a european or maybe even an asian game, but for sure NOT an US game.
    Way too subtle and intellectual for most americans.

6. DJ Deathstar

I loved the first one, just played through it again on Nightmare actually and finished collecting the coffee. I’d say its up there as one of my favourite games this generation

7. AHA-Lambda

i would like a sequel and yes this would do better on ps3; just look at heavy rain sales after all

8. theevilaires

Let them keep neglecting the PS3 audience….and watch them fall!

The only thing good the 360 is for are FPS. Splinter cell failed (PEW) Alan Wake failing (PEW) RPGs BOMB (PEW) and next will be those Natal casual games.

With the PS3 install based rapidly closing the gap on 360 (and in reality have passed them if 10 million didn’t go back out and buy another system from the RROD) I don’t see why devs still choose to release exclusives for this console.

Dammit I want Mass Effect, Alan wake, Lost Oddysee, and Splinter Cell trophies! Stop focusing on the 360 and start focusing on the console that can actually produce what game you want to make with more power please.

9. albo88

sad but true Europe dont have that potential like America we Europeans love to hack much
    go on torrent they still seed this game

10. cookiejar

@8 Because the dev is Microsoft. They paid Remedy to make a game for THEIR console, same as Sony paid QD to make Heavy Rain for THEIR console. Both could be done more or less on each console, and would have been if published say by EA or Ubisoft, or any other 3rd party publisher.

You’re right in saying exclusives are becoming a thing of the past, but not first party ones. Those are the only true exclusives left.

11. theevilaires

Well then screw Alan Wake. I don’t mind getting it for 360 (because GOD knows that system needs games badly) because its a M$ “paid” for exclusive. Still I want Mass Effect and Splinter Cell. Stop with all this goddamn beta testing on that system. Devs need to step their PS3 tech knowledge up and start developing for the PS3 first in mind.

12. loki

I hope Remedy thick about quality, not about PC port. I hope MS also thought.
    And of course PC NERD fuck off

13. Yoshi

How has no-one noticed that it says MGS and not MS

Remedy: Alan Wake 2 would be published by MGS, has “great ideas”

14. theevilaires

MGS stands for Microsoft Game Studios, Yoshi. Not Metal Gear Solid :D

15. albo88

theevilaires the ownage 360 did this generation still is present i see boo hoo how fucking sad
    go and buy the console if you wont play thous games
    and if you wont true performance dont talk to us abut rrod but go and buy a pc gaming rig if you have ass
    nob hypocrite

16. Johnny Cullen

Yeah, what TEA said.

Microsoft Games Studios = MGS.

17. theevilaires

LMAO look at this little XBOT. Kid the only ownage the 360 has done this generation is to the consumers wallets and by that I mean constant hardware failures and expensive add-ons.

From stupid overly expensive HDDs, wifi adapters, and failed High Def disc drives to the most embarrassing electronic consumer hardware failure rates (in HISTORY). The 360 is far from owning anything other than you and the rest of your ape family who thinks its worth being recognized as the best console for gaming this gen.

So in a sense you’re right. If you’re on your 5th 360 :D then the XBOX360 owns…..your ass.

18. threadzilla

@5 Yes because we Americans are incapable of the brain powers of European people…. get over yourself… I live in America and I picked up a bunch of stuff on the game as well as my friend did too.

19. Crysis

i agree with TEA, but failures aside, there are a few good titles for this ticking time bomb i actually want, Halo Reach being one of them, my last 360 had the open tray error but i got a full cash refund, this new model was made so they could kill the extra 2 years warranty & to boost sales cuz the masses like new shiney things (even if it is already 5 years old)

20. Panipal2005

@ theevilaires

Now why wouldn’t you want the Xbox to have any exclusives? That’s just mean. C’mon, the Xbox struggles enough to be interesting in comparison to the PS3 and its exclusives. It needs Mass Effect more than you need it to be on your platform of choice. Have a heart!

21. theevilaires

can anyone tell me if I break this 360 and send it to M$ will I get a new 360 s model….I refuse to pay $300 for a built in wifi adapter.

But yeah Crysis people just don’t understand the more they support 360 the more unlikely we will get games like UC2,KZ2,and GOW3 this gen. Makes no sense that a exclusive like Splinter cell and Alan Wake look like shit and sell so poor after the XFACTOR hype M$ bullshit PR parades all over the internet.

22. theevilaires

@Panipal :D it can have every game it wants IDC really, but all this shit in 2006 about devs saying we need to take PlayStation exclusive away this gen is BS. The only titles that should be exclusive this gen are 1st party then.

Thats right even Heavy Rain should have been on the 360 since it was developed by a 3rd party studio despite SONY paying for it. Same for Alan Wake. I think its only fair for everyone right?….as long as the 3rd parties devs don’t let the 360 hold back the PS3 with dumbed downed graphics and sound then I’m happy.

I bet you Ubisoft are kicking themselves in the ass right now for signing an exclusive deal with M$. Sure they got money from the deal but look what happens to the Splinter Cell name brand. It slowly diminishes because people will think hey it sold so bad it must be shit. Once word of mouth gets around that the game sold so little and was meh and they try to do a PS3 port a year later no one is gonna buy it! Dumb ass Ubisoft!

You’re destroying your own franchises over greed. Its stupid and a bad business move. You’re a neutral company stay that way and stop favoring M$ over whats more important (the gamers). Same goes for Remedy and any other 3rd party dev. Vice versa too.

23. Kalain

@TEA

Couldn’t you say the same for Sony and their exclusives from 3rd party devs as well?

24. NiceFellow

Hope they have a good bit of funding from MS then, because from the numbers PS3 seems to support SP only titles slightly better than 360 (not massively so, but enough).

As a result they are almost certainly halving their potential sales or even worse not putting this on PS3.

Unless they’ve signed something binding if I was them I’d put this on PC and PS3 as quickly as I could. Reviews were decent enough and the sales across those platforms should easily cover conversion costs plus deliver more sales/profit on top.

25. WetSnake

Very stupid, wtf are they doing?
    They are missing out 38 Million PS3′s :S

26. Crysis

@TEA not all exclusives from 3rd party studios are because the hardware publisher payed them during mid-early development, could be lack of time, insufficient funds or like Insomniac’s case, simply a close partnership with the publisher, though they are expanding to the 360 now, but Ratchet & Clank & Resistance are likely to be continued by them til Sony finds another great dev team or kills them like Crash Bandicoot & Spyro the dragon

27. WetSnake

@ Crysis
    Why is it always Sony’s fault?
    Naughty Dog sold Crash Bandicoot because they thought the concept voor Crash was too simple to work with afaik.
    I don’t know about Spyro though.

28. Crysis

Naughty Dog did not own Crash, Sony did (Now ActiVision owns both him & spyro, expect more half-arsed iphone games in the future)

29. WetSnake

You kidding, did Sony really sold their mascots? wtf were they thinking?
    Source? D:

30. Crysis

general knowledge mate =\ just wikipedia it

31. theevilaires

@23 read 22 and words Vice versa. Bottom line of story fuck 3rd party exclusives. Month after month, year after year all I see are the same recycled bullshit graphics and game play and M$ and their legion of XBOTS are the main reason.

You want more bang for your buck then email and spam the shit out of Remedy,Ubisoft,and all the other 3rd party devs and tell them to go PS PRO. :D

32. Johnny Cullen

Actually, Sony didn’t own it. Before Naughty Dog was bought by Sony and before Insomniac went independent, both IPs were owned by Viviendi Universal: they were the parent company of IG and ND.

When they went free, Viviendi maintained all control of the IP.

Hence why you all seen Jak and Daxter and Ratchet & Clank on PS2, not Crash or Spyro sequels.

33. AHA-Lambda

@32 – oh interesting, i didnt know that :)

34. Mattigan

I’ve got an xbox, and I like it :D

35. Crysis

ah, but they were published by Sony, & it’s normal for the publisher to own the game’s franchise, even by 3rd party devs, unless (in this case) the rights already belonged to someone else or, the devs & publisher work out a deal where it remains the devs IP

36. _LarZen_

Alan Wake is one of 2010 best games!

37. WetSnake

^
    360: Mass Effect 2
    PS3: God Of War 3
    Multi: Red Dead Redemption.

Meh :P Alan Wake wasn’t that bad, but it took too long to live up the high expectations.

38. ARFarokhi

I love u TEA! :D I was just like u at some point (Huge SONY fan), but now i’m a little settled. Besides I liked 360 from the beginning but PS is something else for me.
    oh! I just wanted to say: Shame on remedy. I think their previous games sold the most on PS2. I feel sorry for SONY. They are being betrayed by many developers who enjoyed massive game sales on their platform during 5th and 6th generation.

39. theevilaires

I’m not a SONY fan I’m a gamer and the best machine to make the best games just happens to be own by SONY. I want 360 exclusives to be as good as PS3′s but the fact of the matter is they aren’t and never will be. Splinter Cell should have been on PS3 and Alan Wake too.

Its just a shame to see devs focus on money rather than trying to excel the medium and compete against the best game devs (Naughty Dog). You’re suppose to be in this industry for the love of gaming not the money. Isn’t that what we all dream of? So why wouldn’t you look at UC2 and say I’m gonna make a game better than that and not realize I can’t do that if I develop for the 360……Hopefully Remedy and Ubisoft knows where money and greed gets you now….low fucking sales, lay offs and most important pissed off fans of their games.

40. AHA-Lambda

I kinda agree with tea aswell i own both 360 and ps3 and find both of them have their strengths but if i have to judge them by their exclusives i feel ps3 offers the best variety of content compared to the 360

41. Yoshi

@14 Ahhh thankyou :D haha well when you hear MGS you think Metal Gear Solid :P

42. theevilaires

It has nothing to with variety. Hell SONY 1st party alone has more variety and higher quality. It has to do with value. From all the DLC and recycled BS we’re not getting anything special out of this gen. 1000 arcade stick shooters fit right on XBOX live but Alan Wake was meant for PS3. Was remedy really that naive and think that when Alan Wake released it was going to be the best game ever and sell shit loads.

Were they really that stupid to sit back and say you know what the PS3 can’t handle this game better than the 360 lets make that deal with M$? I just don’t get it. If you’re a 3rd party dev what makes you think that way? I want to know who made that decision because I hope he or she is fired now.

I understand Alan Wake was in development way before the PS3 and 360 were on store shelves and M$ approached them (maybe) about buying the game, but where does the logic of hey SONY has this console called the PlayStation that is hugely popular all over the world that we just can’t turn our backs on all our fans and potential sales out there. Correct me if I’m wrong but didn’t Max Payne sell better on the PS2 than any other console?…Ok so WTF was Remedy thinking?

and again vice versa for PS3 3rd party exclusives. I’m just tired of all these stupid exclusives and all the hype just to see the game flop big time (LAIR,Heavenly Sword,Splinter Cell,and now Alan Wake).

43. Retroid

PS2 had a far, FAR larger market share than anything else last generation so that’s not comparable for a start.

As for Alan Wake being “meant for PS3″…. umm, why?

44. theevilaires

and thats why Remedy shouldn’t have taken that chance with the 360 Retroid because it was and never will have that much of a lead over the PS3. No matter how much M$ cried that BS line about hitting 10 million consoles first to beat SONY Remedy should have never made that deal. Release it on 360 first no problem but go entirely exclusive….fucking stupid.

Also for your “meant for PS3″ question…..Alan Wake with MOVE support….FUCKING SWEET! Enough said.

45. LOLshock94

stop complaining this game is shit and MOVE with alan wake wouldnt work

46. WetSnake

@ ARFarokhi
    Agreed, but like I said 3 times today, its business.
    It’s cruel, I don’t know if you know what happened in 1992 between Sony and Nintendo, that was one of the best decisions that Nintendo made for us, and the worst for them (But that’s another story)
    It’s just to show that the game business is becoming something awful.
    This was the worst gen for Sony, being backstabbed by almost ALL (yes all) third party devs who were so successfull in the PS2 era (Sqaure-Enix for example)
    But yeah, I think Sony resurrected very well without being too butthurt.

47. Zune HD

i’m so lucky bcuz i’m Xbox 360 owner
    we have best exclusive ever most like
    Alan Wake . Halo Reach , Gears of war , Forza , Fable , Mass effect 2 , Splinter cell , Limbo , Hydro thunder and more….
    i feel sorry for PS3 owners, really PS3 has no games
    ONLY uncharted 2 loool
    (((accept the true my friends)))

48. theevilaires

Garratt this name changing on the accounts is getting ridiculous :D please add a no change I.D. setting in the update please. Thank you.

49. WetSnake

@ Zune HD
    YEAH YOU ARE RIGHT CUZ EXBOX HAS: SHOOTERZ AND TIMED EXCLUSIVEZ.
    Oh yeah and Fable sucks nowadays, and you know it, you are only jumping on the bandwagon.

50. ARFarokhi

@47 Zune HD
    WTF?! ROFL! LOL! LMAO!
    All these aren’t enough for your LOLer post!!!
    P.S: Do not smoke before posting comments!

51. hitnrun

Inasmuch as this is still a discussion and not a shit-flinging contest, it should be noted that the game was four years late.

It’s easy to say now that Remedy should have known this or that, but at the time (2004 or early 2005), Sony’s development kit was a hiragana crossword puzzle no one wanted to solve. The 360 was confirmed to be coming out a year earlier. Remedy probably didn’t intend for the game to miss 2006 or 2007 at the latest. And finally, we can safely assume MS was offering a large pile of money in their mission to expand their collection of exclusives.

52. LOLshock94

but then the game sucked ass and MS wish sony did get them

53. theevilaires

yup pretty much what I was trying to say Hitnrun

54. Malmer

Alan Wake was one of the best games this year so far. Only Mass Effect 2 beats it in my book, but only due to the large scope and the great shooter mechanics in ME2.

I can’t name any other game this year that I wasn’t allowed to play without my wife participating in the experience. The story and suspense was simply perfect. Gameplay was good, but could have been more varied. But it was innovative and fun. What else do you want?

55. OlderGamer

To be honest I think this entire generation stinks.

Rehashed franchise sequels.

Stupidly over priced DLC.

DLC that is actualy a code to unlock content ALREADY on the game disc you already paid for.

Expensive hardware …

…that breaks/wears out too fast.

MS charging to play online, and Sony learning that they should have been all along(Hello PSN+).

60usd a game…

…with 50usd of DLC.

EAs $10 online pass.

Activisions yet unannounced(you know it is coming) MP sub fees.

Big budget flops.

The seemingly endless dev cycle of GT5.

I just mean so many crap things all over the place. And for what? Game companies want us to pay pay pay, but I see very little on any of the systems that truly find worth the price.

Games are BIG bizz. Big on money. Big on hype. Big big big. I don’t know, I mean once upon a time games just used to be my hobby. Now they are trying to bleed my wallet dry and get your grandma to join in.

It feels like gaming got lost somewhere along the way.

56. ARFarokhi

OlderGamer, please do not put SONY beside M$. At least for online services. SONY is not forcing you to subscribe for PSN+. But you can do so and get more out of PSN. Exactly opposite of M$ who says: if you wanna play your games online, then pay 50$ a year. And about GT5:
    SONY could have released GT5, GT6 and GT7 in 5 years and make you pay for them (if you are into racing simulation games), but guess what?! They’re spending 6 years developing just one game, they want to make it the best and deserve the money you and i pay for it. ‘Nuff said.

57. Psychotext

I’d agree were it not for the fact that 80% of the cars are touched up versions of GT4 cars. Given they’ll have had 6 years you’d assume they could have done better than that.

58. Ge0force

Sure Remedy, please make another game for a platform where almost no one cares…